SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HARDCORE PUNK & SKATE ROCK  »  Why the DC music scene has sucked for so long...
Page 1 of 1    

Why the DC music scene has sucked for so long...

www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the most pointed and true articles I have ever read about the music scene. I almost busted a gut reading this last night, but it really is tragic. The whole straight edge movement was such an overwhelming presence here, that nothing else has survived. I wish someone had brought this to light years ago.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/cover/cover.html
zodiac13
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
The two times I've played the Black Cat, one of the clubs mentioned in the article, I've had a very drunken, sleazy rock n' roll time.

Drugs, booze & unexpected titties. No-one seemed particularly uptight while I was there.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:24 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
the DC music scene has seen many flourishes....were you around, when fugazi reopened the wilson center? My friends started booking shows there again, amzing bands played there, Los Crudos, Oi POlloi, Fifteen, Locust, His hero is gone, the list goes on, it was amazing while it lasted, 5 dollar shows every weekend, benefit shows....there began a triangle of punk communities, from RVA, to Baltimore, to DC...plus the kaffa house days, club soda, asylum? A lot has happened since, SOA, teen Idles, etc...right now it kinda slumped...but if youre talking about clubs like the Black cat, or 9:30 then youre talking about a different kind of scene...
zodiac13
Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2002 Posts: 4822 Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Speaking of DC, there's actually a really great article about Government Issue in the new Punk Planet. Hot stuff!

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:37 am Reply with quote
I use to go to the old 9:30 back in 80-83. Seen a ton of shows... there and at the Wilson Center, Landsburg, etc.

While I like Minor Threat and Fugazi, I never bought into the straight edge shit! You would never see a "X" on my hand!

In 1993 I went to a Redskins game at the new stadium. I spotted Ian at the game. I am sure he wouldn't want his "fans" to know that he supported a sports team. He would lose scene crediablity point for sure!

[ This Message was edited by: knucklehead on 2003-12-10 03:41 ]
oakland
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Aug 2002 Posts: 1747 Location: Boulder, Colorado
That's retarded. He doesn't give a shit about that kind of stuff. People have this ridiculous view of who they think Ian is, and I guess I'm no exception. I don't know Ian personally, but I have talked to him many times about a lot of things and he seems to be a very down to earth, normal person. I imagine if he wanted to go to a football game he'd just go and wouldn't care who knew he was there.

Page 1 of 1