SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  NOS Sims Taperkicks
Page 1 of 1    

NOS Sims Taperkicks

EBasil
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Big Fish Joined: 24 Nov 2004 Posts: 335
$150, undrilled.

What I can't remember is that guideline to which old decks were the NOS from Sims and which were from the knock off dudes of the same era.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
You'll probably have better luck with that question on BDS.
slob-air
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63459 Location: S&B HQ
The knockoffs were made by the same people that did the Taperkicks, Woodkicks etc. So they weren't actually knock-offs, they just didn't make it to Sims.

Couple pallets of Logans sitting in LA too.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Big Fish Joined: 24 Nov 2004 Posts: 335
I remember an interview with Tom Sims where he mentioned the distinction in the logos that enabled him to determine which were the boards he sold and which were the "others". I just don't remember the code and Tom hasn't returned my call.

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63459 Location: S&B HQ
Hmmm... that'd be interesting to hear.

I joked several years back that I was surprised somebody wasn't knocking off Sims Woodkicks and flooding Ebay with them. Very easy to knock off wood wise and even easier logo wise.

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
just go too sports authority

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
AOS has some info on it.
Here is a quote:
<name withheld> "Yeah, I was reading your article on FAKES AND FRAUDS. I was the original artist and screener for Sims in 1976.

Sims Skateboards was the hardest hit in the Wee Willy Winkle counterfeit scam. In 1977. There was/is an East Coast distributor who allegedly masterminded the whole scam. He was the one sending the decks to Art Harris at AWH. They were buddys. For fear of another lawsuit from them, let's just say that Tom Sims told me that the guy and his ugly girlfriend named their company after an a big ocean.

He told me their names are Torsy Blewit and Tacky or something like that. They would buy 50 decks from us which gave them the right to advertise and distribute the product. Then they would allegedly ship 95% of the orders with counterfeits.

Sims lawyers caught them and won the lawsuit, but they declared bankruptsy to avoid the paying the penalty. Then they started-up the company again under the ugly girlfriends name as the new owner and carried on as if nothing happened. Sims told us that years of lost profits, lawyer fees, and the lost financial award from the East Coast is what drove him into bankruptsy in 1980....so add to your list of suspected counterfeits, the Woodkick, 36" and 44" Taperkicks, and all of the routered boards that were sold WITHOUT the routing. (Bowman, Andrecht, Lamar). The counterfeit Taperkicks are easy to spot. The screened top and bottom logos all had rounded edges, were Fire Red and were fuzzy. Mine were crisp and clean and were a darker Bright Red.

Also you mentioned about the warehouse full of Woodkicks. Wrong! (edit:Some have been made later.Here he is talking of earlier versions) There WAS a warehouse full Woodkicks and Taperkicks, a huge one! But when the 7-Plys came along they couldn't give them away. And a "mysterious" fire happened and burned them all up all the obsolete decks in 1978. Believe me, I was part of the clean-up crew. But that doesn't mean that they are all fake, I was screening 500 a week. Sims at the time was the number one company in the world.

Page 1 of 1