SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Board and boots suggestions?
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board and boots suggestions?

elhornet
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big mofo and everytime I end up in the snow I feel like whatever I've hired isn't right for me. I get about a week per season in the white stuff and just as I feel like I'm getting good I have to bail.

I'm 6'2, 240lb and size 13 hooves.

Can you snowdogs give me some suggestions at what I should be riding? I've never managed to find a pair of boots that doesnt KILL my shins or calves either.

I get about a week per season in the white stuff and just as I feel like I'm getting good I have to bail. I've never really felt comfortable boarding so I don't go back. Grew up surfing and skated my whole life and would like to enjoy boarding just as much!
scs
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I'm about the same size, right now I'm riding a libtech mc kink 156, pretty wide, I'm sure its technically small for me but fuck that shit I rip it up no matter the size of the board last season I was riding a lib 159 (forget the model) that was pretty smooth riding, burton boots are nice, their other shit sucks but they make nice boots & bindings.

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I would say any board with a wide version & ever try any boa boots?

Alot of companies out there use the boa system. just get one that has a separated top & bottom version so you don't get any heel lift.

You get to make them as loose or tight as you want so the boot feels broken in from day one. I love them!

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I've always sworn by Burton boots, never been able to try the boas but they seem really nice. Be sure you're on a wide board, and something at least 164 cm.
Upland_Yo
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
theGONZfather wrote:
I would say any board with a wide version

yup, I ride the Salomon Patrol for deep powder days. I got regular feet but I hate any kind of drag in deep snow. I think most companies make a wide board. They rip.

K2 has nice boots.
scs
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Look for boots with 'turned up' toes, that definely helps if you have toe-drag, also look for bindings that have a built in toe jam or whatever you want to call it, I'm rocking some old flux's that have a big ass toe jam on the front, haven't had a problem since..

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
scs wrote:
Look for boots with 'turned up' toes, that definely helps if you have toe-drag, also look for bindings that have a built in toe jam or whatever you want to call it, I'm rocking some old flux's that have a big ass toe jam on the front, haven't had a problem since..

Toe jams? You mean gas pedals?

But ya, Flux's are the shit!

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
you can also use a riser plate ... Palmer makes a great one. They really decrease toe and heel drag on boards. You might even be able to ride a regular width board.

DON'T buy boots on the net. Go to a local shop and try on as many as they have. If they are hurting your shins, they aren't the right boot for you. There are flexible and stiff boots. Try both and see what you will prefer. Since you are older, and you're not going to outgrow them, spend some $$ on good boots. Makes all the difference in the world.

13's are tough because they don't sell very well ... so shops won't have very many. so, If you can, go as small as possible with the boot. I actually ride boots a half size smaller. They are tight at first, but will then break in REALLY nice and not get sloppy as fast. All boots size and fit different.

The BOA system is cool .. as long as it's a DUAL BOA ... not the single. Plus, if that wire breaks you're screwed. I prefer a lace myself.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
theGONZfather
Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
auragreg wrote:
you can also use a riser plate ... Palmer makes a great one. They really decrease toe and heel drag on boards. You might even be able to ride a regular width board.

DON'T buy boots on the net. Go to a local shop and try on as many as they have. If they are hurting your shins, they aren't the right boot for you. There are flexible and stiff boots. Try both and see what you will prefer. Since you are older, and you're not going to outgrow them, spend some $$ on good boots. Makes all the difference in the world.

13's are tough because they don't sell very well ... so shops won't have very many. so, If you can, go as small as possible with the boot. I actually ride boots a half size smaller. They are tight at first, but will then break in REALLY nice and not get sloppy as fast. All boots size and fit different.

The BOA system is cool .. as long as it's a DUAL BOA ... not the single. Plus, if that wire breaks you're screwed. I prefer a lace myself.

All good points.

I've heard good things about the Palmer plates too. Only setback if any would be that your center of gravity gets a lil higher.

Yes, boots do definitely make a difference. It'll make or break your day.

& ya, 1/2 a size smaller ,ight be allright in some cases. Just make sure your toes aren't all crammed up.

Finally, the double boa is for sure the key. Thats what I meant by "one that has a separated top & bottom". Not sure but I think most boa system boots come with extra cables.

Just make sure you don't tighten or loosen them while your bindings are on. That causes the cables to snap.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next