SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  what surface are these wheels made for?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

what surface are these wheels made for?

GrandMasterB
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I got 2 sets of these due to the cheep pricing - what would you reccomend I ride with these? Masonite indoor parks or outdoor crete stuff

jacbli76
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
ride skateboards with them
grandpa ronin
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Sep 2003 Posts: 760 Location: 3 Feet Below the Coping
Grandmaster of what? Barneys?

mosu101
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
small ramps?

seriously though check out the wheel hardness. if it says 95 durometer it should be ok for masonite. maybe 92 Duro (or 92D) is ok

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The internet is your friend. Check the Duro on the wheel and then use this:

Quote:
Skate Wheel Durometer
A definition and explanation of skate wheel durometer and which durometer is best for different types of skating.

DEFINITION: The hardness of a skate wheel is also called the "durometer". For most wheels, durometer is measured on the A-scale, with 74A being a very soft wheel and 95A being a very hard wheel. The hardness of a wheel will affect its durability, shock absorption and ability to grip an indoor or outdoor skating surface.

Soft Wheels
Soft wheels will give a smoother ride and will grip the road better, but a wheel that is too soft will feel sluggish and slow.

Hard Wheels
Hard wheels can give you a rough ride, but they are usually faster than soft wheels and the will slide more easily (meaning they will not grip the road as well as a soft wheel).

Speed Skate Wheel Hardness
Hard wheels are faster than soft wheels, but very hard wheels don't grip the road well and they provide a rough ride. Long distance speed skaters will often use a softer wheel than short distance racers because hard wheels can become very uncomfortable when skating long distances. Racers also will sometimes use a softer wheel when skating in the rain because they need the extra grip provided by a softer wheel.

Aggressive Skate Wheel Hardness
Vert and street skaters typically use very hard wheels (90A to 95A) because of those wheels are the most durable and also because the low-grip attribute of hard wheels allows a skater to do sliding and grinding tricks.

Recreational Skate Wheel Hardness
Skates designed for recreational skaters typically come with a medium width wheel that has a slightly rounded skating surface. Fitness and recreational skaters can use the information in the speed and aggressive sections above to adjust their wheel hardness to meet their needs.

However as a rule I never used anything harder than 95A on Ramps. 97A and harder is Street shit.

EDIT: After looking at Skate One's site (Again the Internet is your friend) every ML wheel I checked in a random fashion was either 101A, 99A, or 97A. All street stuff man.
Harry Manranch
Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
That last post attachment is way off. 90a to 95a is not "very hard". That is crap. Nowdays 97a is soft as compared to late 80s when we rode 95a on street etc. Your best all around is a 99a in my opinion. You can grip, and still get a break away slide. I find different company's durometers sometimes feel different. Try them. Adjust your skating if it feels slick compensate. I like a 97a on slick stuff like say the Denver skatepark bowl or a painted pool. I have gotten used to a 99a on everything else. I hate changing wheels so I leave my 99a OJIII 58mm pure concentrate something or others and it is the best all around wheel I have ever had. Try em out

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Shin-Gouki wrote:

Quote:
Skate Wheel Durometer
A definition and explanation of skate wheel durometer and which durometer is best for different types of skating.

DEFINITION: The hardness of a skate wheel is also called the "durometer". For most wheels, durometer is measured on the A-scale, with 74A being a very soft wheel and 95A being a very hard wheel. The hardness of a wheel will affect its durability, shock absorption and ability to grip an indoor or outdoor skating surface.

Soft Wheels
Soft wheels will give a smoother ride and will grip the road better, but a wheel that is too soft will feel sluggish and slow.

Hard Wheels
Hard wheels can give you a rough ride, but they are usually faster than soft wheels and the will slide more easily (meaning they will not grip the road as well as a soft wheel).

Hard wheels are faster than soft wheels, but very hard wheels don't grip the road well and they provide a rough ride. Long distance speed skaters will often use a softer wheel than short distance racers because hard wheels can become very uncomfortable when skating long distances. Racers also will sometimes use a softer wheel when skating in the rain because they need the extra grip provided by a softer wheel.

Vert and street skaters typically use very hard wheels (90A to 95A) because of those wheels are the most durable and also because the low-grip attribute of hard wheels allows a skater to do sliding and grinding tricks.

Skates designed for recreational skaters typically come with a medium width wheel that has a slightly rounded skating surface. Fitness and recreational skaters can use the information in the speed and aggressive sections above to adjust their wheel hardness to meet their needs.

Pretty sure that applies to rollerblade wheels.

They're considerin 90A-95A "very hard".

95-99a is nice for masonite. (IMHO)

99a+ is nice for concrete (IMHO)

Softer than 95a is nice for cruiser wheels (IMHO)
goofyfoot_rider
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
gamby wrote:
Shin-Gouki wrote:

Quote:
Skate Wheel Durometer

Soft Wheels

Hard Wheels

Pretty sure that applies to rollerblade wheels.

They're considerin 90A-95A "very hard".

95-99a is nice for masonite. (IMHO)

99a+ is nice for concrete (IMHO)

Softer than 95a is nice for cruiser wheels (IMHO)

Don't the fruit booters have their own forum?
SkateIndustryWatchdog
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Wheels that claim to have the same duros can skate and feel much different than another brand of wheel with the same duros. I like to ride 97's but have found that Shitfire Blackfartz, at 99 duros, are gripper and skate much better than other wheels listed at 97.

Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
well this joke topic went down in flames....but some good info for the uninformed did get posted so all is not lost I suppose.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next