SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  What type, grit, thinkness of veneer to use???
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What type, grit, thinkness of veneer to use???

SkateRags
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:57 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I would buy enough to make a couple just to try it out and have some fun, but you are talking a min order that is enough make 6500 decks. No way you could get enough guys to help move that kind of order.
I think it would go
face
cross
cross
center
cross
cross
face
ditch_distribution
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know a place that takes smaller orders?
Lard
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Lard
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:57 pm Reply with quote
ok lets see if I can help?
First of all
A Face veneer is made from the finest veenner and is used only on the top and bottom of the deck because of the cost . It is also sanded so that is where the grit comes in. it will be the 230 Grit.
The centres are a less a grade and and will be sanded to 180 grit this will help with glue adhesion.
the cross bands are mostly rotory cut and are the roughest .
A basic layup goes like this . If you are pressing your first boards stick with this it has been in force since the day.
top of board.
1 Face
2 centre
3 Cross band
4 Centre
5 Crossband
6 Centre
7 Face.
Graphic.
This is the standard 7 ply lay up.
When I started I used pine to press my test boards. It is a lot cheaper in fact I got a huge supply that was leftovers from a furniture laminating place for free.That's cheap.
Remember at this stage you have got to develop the molds and get a good pressing.
Make sure whatever veener you use for test boards is the same thickness as the maple you intend on using.
Project
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:20 pm Reply with quote
hey ditch, id say to go with the .41 cross bands cause it will make you boards light, and the crosse bands only help prevent pressure cracks, they add almost no strengh to the noise to tail strenght of the board. Im going to conntact great lake veneers, and give them all the specifiications and see how much it would cost us
Project
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Dear Great Lakes Veneers

I'm contacting you regarding the manufacture of skateboard venneers and since they do not seem to fit in with your normal quote sheet, I am writing to you directly. I would like to know the price of an order with the following percentages of different types of hard maple skateboard venners. I would like to know the quote for the minimum possible order of veneers.

28.4 percent - HM .062" 9.5" x 34.5" Faces 220 Grit
42.6 percent - HM .062" 9.5" x 34.5" Centers 180 Grit
28.4 percent - HM .041" 34.5" x 9.5" Cross Bands 180 Grit

Thats my message, ill post the reply as soon as i get it
sevenbravo
Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:44 am Reply with quote
I have been a skateboard manufacturer for a few years and am currently in the process of selling the wood shop. I have another local manufacturer here in SoCal who is buying my leftover veneers, but I would be willing to sell some to you guys if you would like. I have about 2000 decks worth of veneers. The specs are the same as the order you sent to Dave at Great Lakes. (.062" inch sanded faces, .062" in centers, the cross bands are all .041 thickness)
I would be willing to sell wood to anyone who would want it. I have dyed (color) sanded faces as well. All my wood came from Great Lakes Veneers. They have excellent wood. I know that business has been slow for Great Lakes (the whole industry for that matter)so they might be more willing to send smaller orders. But if they don't, I might be able to help out. The cost of enough wood to do one deck would be $7, for color add .50 per veneer. If someone wants all 1000-2000 decks worth, the price would be less. (I also have hydraulic presses and some well worn molds for sale, hell, I have an entire shop for sale......)
Good Luck
7Bravo
annexskateboards.com
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:42 am Reply with quote
I am wondering about that press you have. How much are you looking at and where are you located?

thanks, Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sevenbravo
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:56 am Reply with quote
I would sell my presses for $4000 each, including the hydraulic rams and hoses. You would still need to buy a hydraulic pump. Each press has two openings so actually you can close two molds at a time...its like having two presses in one unit. The presses were designed by an engineer, specifically for pressing skateboards.
I am in North Los Angeles county, CA.
Project
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hey, im thinking about buying some veneers off of you, but could you share a secret and tell us exactly how you make the laminating glue, the ingredients and proccess to make it? thanks alot

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next