SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SCREEN PRINTING  »  making a skateboard press
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

making a skateboard press

ditch_distribution
Posted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:12 pm Reply with quote
so does anybody know how to make a press, I know you nedd 2000psi and that the actual mould should be made of concrate but how to you make the fram construction and have the concrate formed into the correct shape.

I think we realy need to start a new forum dedicated to board construction.
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Is there any reasoning that the molds would be made out of concrete? Wouldn't them being made out of a type of steel or very dense alloy be a better choice? What's the logic behind it being cement, I'm very interested...
techone
Posted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:54 pm Reply with quote
i think cement is just easier to work with, like to make the mold all you'd need to do is make the shape with a wax or plastic or something, then mix and pour the concrete.
to do that with metal, man, you're talking about some intense shit! making extremely compacted sand molds(you're talkin some extreme psi here as well), with open channels and then just heating the metal. a nightmare i wouldn't wanna face again (i worked in a brass foundry once)
unless you could get someone else to do it for ya, i think concrete is a much wiser decision for DIY.
ditch_distribution
Posted: Sat May 31, 2003 4:18 am Reply with quote
The reason i had thought to use concrete was simply because that is what i had seen in photos and videos from other skateboar factorys.
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to talk to my cousin and see what it would take to make one out of some dense billet material. He is a CNC operator and VERY good at what he does. I'm going to ask him if he could make me some stuff for screen printing also if he has the time. If he doesn't have the time, I can atleast get his honest opinions... I'll probably try cement first also just because that is something that I might be able to do myself. This is all talk now though. lol thanks again for the replies...
Nick
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:21 pm Reply with quote
How are you going to apply 2000psi without buying a press for a few thousand?
The Green Monkey
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:01 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
He's really, really fat.

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:43 am Reply with quote
The boards they make in china, tiwan ect are suposed to be a lot lower quality even when they use caadian maple because it's been shipped a long way from the usa. Do you think that is a major problem. I am in the UK so the wood will have been imported from the USA. Do you guys think this will mean my boards would be of a lower quality.
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:13 pm Reply with quote
The Belief is that some of those boards in China have just 2 plys (Top and Bottom only) out of the 7 plys TRUE ACTUAL Canadian Maple. They are also put through alot of climatic change from shipping and etc... Anyone else have any input to share? Correct me if I'm wrong....
P.S. In my opinion, the shipping and change in climate has a effect in quality.

[ This Message was edited by: CH3NO2JAY on 2003-06-02 16:15 ]
ditch_distribution
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that but the more opinions the better. After looking at a map i see that i am at about the same level as the great lakes ottawa. But please, any opinions will be helpfull.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next