SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Beware the bros
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Beware the bros

skinny
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I have been a member here for some time. I have met quite a few people here. I am glad that I did. Most of them were just skateboarders looking for a deck that for one reason or another they could not get anywhere else. Others were "industry" types looking to work "something" out with me. Usually this was harmless enough, just asking questions that they could not answer anywhere else. Some were already established, and looking to work the "bro" angle. What I mean is that often in the skateboard world, there are alot of people who have quite a bit of money invested in their little corner of business. They try, but sometimes answers don't come to them either. Sometimes I cross paths with them. It is no secret that I readily give people straight forward answers for little or no compensation. Things like building techniques, material sources, artwork soultions...ect. I do this in the spirit of a healthy skateboard dialogue between interested parties.(skateboarders) It is good for us all....
I am here to warn some of you that on this forum there are sharks in the water. Some are sitting in their office, maybe in the desert heat, or the cold winters of the northeast, the sunny beaches of southern California, no matter where they are they have one thing in common....they pray on those who have skills they do not have, they accept contacts, and favors without ever thinking of returning the favor. After all their money is on the line.
There in lies the problem at hand. We should never keep or mouths shut when others ask for help, however consider those who are asking, and more importantly why they are asking. There is no direct answer, if there was, I would have never helped out some of the "bros".
Good luck.

Last edited by skinny on Mon May 26, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cappy
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
What's inside your head, is the greatest capital. Be aware how you spend it!

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
You know what 'Bro' stands for right?

Bend Right Over
falba70
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I agree Skinny, but im glad there are guys like u around that give advice free of chearge. Alot of us here wouldnt have small board companys or custom decks without your advice and guidence....thanks

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
agree

Last edited by TABLASFOREVER on Mon May 26, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jan 2002 Posts: 5027 Location: East coast now....gypsy..
So who are you talking about?
jkelly
Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Aug 2003 Posts: 7129 Location: Wild in the streets
skinny wrote:
I have been a member here for some time. I have met quite a few people here. I am glad that I did. Most of them were just skateboarders looking for a deck that for one reason or another they could not get anywhere else. Others were "industry" types looking to work "something" out with me. Usually this was harmless enough, just asking questions that they could not answer anywhere else. Some were already established, and looking to work the "bro" angle. What I mean is that often in the skateboard world, there are alot of people who have quite a bit of money invested in their little corner of business. They try, but sometimes answers don't come to them either. Sometimes I cross paths with them. It is no secret that I readily give people straight forward answers for little or no compensation. Things like building techniques, material sources, artwork soultions...ect. I do this in the spirit of a healthy skateboard dialogue between interested parties.(skateboarders) It is good for us all....
I am here to warn some of you that on this forum there are sharks in the water. Some are sitting in their office, maybe in the desert heat, or the cold winters of the northeast, the sunny beaches of southern California, no matter where they are they have one thing in common....they pray on those who have skills they do not have, they accept contacts, and favors without ever thinking of returning the favor. After all their money is on the line.
There in lies the problem at hand. We should never keep or mouths shut when others ask for help, however consider those who are asking, and more importantly why they are asking. There is no direct answer, if there was, I would have never helped out some of the "bros".
Good luck.

Milt, I think you need to just step it up and come out with what you feel needs to be said. You pussyfoot around your posts and it paints a picture of you being a victim. Step it up....if someone has wronged you say "JOE AT PENNSWOOD FUCKED ME LIKE THIS WITHOUT ANY LUBE WHATSOEVER!" afterall thats who I am sure you were referring too in your comment about sitting in Amish country or whatnot..as I look back now it has already been editted and changed to the Northeast...

I hear you build a good board... so keep doing what your doing.. Your boards will speak for themselves... shit talking others product or business methods will only tarnish your reputation as a builder.

Jay

[quote="tioem"]The closest some guys get to pussy is being one.
I'm not talking about any of you queers. [/quote]
skinny
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
The intent of this post was to point out something that happens to some people who eventually talk to people that make money off of skateboarding. I never mentioned anyone in specific for a reason. You and I both know that if I singled out a person or business, by doing so, I would have dramatically changed the original intent of this post.
Unfortunately it can be hard to talk about this subject. I knew that some people would read more into it. I mean who even brings something like this up? If someone brings up this kind of stuff it will always be considered shit talk. I can not help that. If I were to do the right thing, I would just keep my mouth shut right? Well then how do we ever get to talk about anything worth talking about?
You could let it go at that or you can post up anything else that you feel like......it's not my forum, I can't censor your posts. Thats a good thing.
jkelly
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Aug 2003 Posts: 7129 Location: Wild in the streets
skinny wrote:
The intent of this post was to point out something that happens to some people who eventually talk to people that make money off of skateboarding. I never mentioned anyone in specific for a reason. You and I both know that if I singled out a person or business, by doing so, I would have dramatically changed the original intent of this post.
Unfortunately it can be hard to talk about this subject. I knew that some people would read more into it. I mean who even brings something like this up? If someone brings up this kind of stuff it will always be considered shit talk. I can not help that. If I were to do the right thing, I would just keep my mouth shut right? Well then how do we ever get to talk about anything worth talking about?
You could let it go at that or you can post up anything else that you feel like......it's not my forum, I can't censor your posts. Thats a good thing.

I see that you did go back and edit your original post about sitting in the amish country or whatnot(but lets be honest that was straight up at Penns. How many other woodshops are in amish country?).......I usuallyhit preview a few times and reread before I hit submit as I can get a bit worked up over things...it has saved me many times

Jay
Jay

Jay

[quote="tioem"]The closest some guys get to pussy is being one.
I'm not talking about any of you queers. [/quote]
pennswood
Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
i saw the post as it was originally posted.
i privately sent a message to milt.

so it did get an edit.
but still says basically the same thing.

to me, it reads like you feel you are the great white wizard of skateboard manufacturing.
and that i somehow needed you for something.

if i remember correctly, you called me.

also, any love you may have gotten from this forum,
anyone who says you make a great product,
it may very well be true, but how many of those boards did you actually press?

go ahead and put it out there like jay says,
if you are such a great builder, why you still where you are?
how many boards total have you made now?

who was it that got kicked off this forum anyways?
how bad does it have to be, for that to happen?

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next