SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  New halfpipe in Hayward....
Page 1 of 21    Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

New halfpipe in Hayward....

mkelty
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
...if you wanna build it...

In the next couple days I'm signing off on the Docs for a new home in the Hayward Hills (East Ave, across from the High School)

I've got a 50' wide by 10' deep space at the very back of the yard, with the possibility of widening it to 16'.

My ideal goal is a 12' wide, 4' tall, 8'-9' transition with a 12' flat, although I may start at 8' wide. The reason for the big transition is that eventually I'd like to get it 8 feet tall, but I need to practice a bit before I head down that route.

It's not going to happen yet, I've got a lot to take care of in the interim (anyone wanna buy a home in Oakland?), and I am going to be STRAPPED until I sell the Oakland House, but if people are willing to kick in for supplies, we can make this happen sooner than that.

Just something to mull over, if you see that chunk of 3/4" Ply or OSB sitting around, think to yourself, "hmmm, that's 4' wide of transtition ready to happen.... "

I'll keep you posted as to my plans and schedule, but if you're in the giving mood, we could maybe see this happen starting in June as opposed to October...

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
ah man, if I could help I would.

Well, I can help you skate it once it's there
eddies
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
i'll keep my eyes open for anything that might help and if i ever hit that lotto jackpot i'll set aside some ramp funds

Buddha43
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
have tools, will travel. let me know when the ground breaking is. I will keep my eyes peeled fro materials.

Good luck on your escrow closing! Stoked for ya!
backsidedisaster
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm down to help! I've got random 2x4's and scrap wood laying around. Lemme know when you need help.
mkelty
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Very cool, thank you. I don't have the keys yet, but when I do, you can be damn sure I'll be itching to get this going...

One quick question, has anyone ever had success using the 3/4" merely as a template, instead of as the actual structural framing?

I ask because if I can get away with using a 6" wide piece of 3/4" ply to guide the transition, but use structural framing underneath that, I could keep the costs down significantly by needing only a couple sheets of ply overall, and Ply is much more expensive than 2X6.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
mkelty wrote:

One quick question, has anyone ever had success using the 3/4" merely as a template, instead of as the actual structural framing?

I ask because if I can get away with using a 6" wide piece of 3/4" ply to guide the transition, but use structural framing underneath that, I could keep the costs down significantly by needing only a couple sheets of ply overall, and Ply is much more expensive than 2X6.

Haven't done it myself, but saw it on hella ramps. Instead of a full 1/4 pipe shaped piece of ply, guys would have a setup like you say - a six/twelve - inch "arc" of ply guiding the shape, but beams holding the weight. Just make sure you lay it out so that you can actually use the extra section of ply.
mkelty
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm going to be laying down a chunk of change for this:

12' wide, 4' high, 9' or so of flat, Skatelite Pro. I'm guessing an 8-9' transition (A San Diego guys sells the plans, anyone know who that is?).

Now, the only bitch is to get it taken apart in Redwood City, hauled to Hayward, and re-assembled.

I'll only be able to assemble 8' wide of it at first, as I have some terrforming to do to get a 16' wide space ready (right now it's only 9' wide at the lowest level).

My question is this...
Could any of you be available, and when, to assist with this?

I'm swamped with a million and one other mind and money eating matters, but if it's possible that a work party could be put together next weekend (i.e. 9 days from now, not 2) there would be some primo rampage moving to the East Bay, and would be shared with all of you East bay folk (within reason, naturally...

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Feb 2003 Posts: 10327 Location: Raytown Travel Agency
"I love it when a plan comes together"

I'm down for one day next weekend, gotta keep one free for the lady, tho.

Also any weekday evenings after that...the sun is out late now so those could be productive.

May be able to borrow a pickup, too, if it helps....

I'm in southeast Oakland (zoo area), so no big deal to pop over and help out whenever.

Keep us posted !!!!
cmainiac666
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
TROLL Joined: 26 Jul 2007 Posts: 5745 Location: ether
You know I'm down to help Matt...was that ramp on CL?

Page 1 of 21    Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next