SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM  »  Back injury support-anybody else?
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back injury support-anybody else?

slob-air
Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
It's a common problem amoung men who never learned that upon entering adult-hood they're no longer invincible.

My injury was not skate related. In fact I was hardly skating at the time due to a knee-injury from work when I did my back in.

That said, a friend of a friend of mine -a medical scientist in Vancouver- has done some rather unique research that seems to point to the apparent fact that atrophied muscles and injuries lead to further injuries and overall degradation of the body.

In other words, the faster you're back on your feet the better. The more exersize you get once you're back on your feet the better.
willieleon
Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:07 am Reply with quote
my injury was baby related. I always lift with my knees, not my back, but there is no way to put a baby in a crib with out using your back. My first was a big baby, and I fucked up my back puting her to bed at night.

[ This Message was edited by: willieleon on 2003-05-22 12:07 ]
Buckethead
Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:46 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I herniated a disc in my back a little over a year ago. I put up with a whole lot of pain, foot and leg going numb and shooting pain going down my whole leg and not much for mobility , for two or three months. Went to a phsiotherapist, nice little hot blonde, and after about 8 sessions of heat and electro thearapy I felt better but not 100%. Now ,a year later, I feel good and can skate with no problems. Slobs right, walk, swim, even skate a halfpipe but just pump it for a while. Don't sit around it won't help you get better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
donald20
Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
exercise is the magic word
enough back and stomach muscles plus reduced weight are the key
schmittstix707
Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:49 pm Reply with quote
God damn you guys are some old farts! I have to look foward to this!?!
slob-air
Posted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:15 pm Reply with quote
You watch your sassy mouth, schmittstix707. Don't make me beat you with my cane! LOL
old_timer
Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:59 am Reply with quote
slob..you'll be the old guy at the park with a walker with wheels and rolling around on your skateboard with extra support soles on the bottom of your vans!!!=)
jcruz
Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah-give me another three months of rehab and a magnatron deck and I'll be kickin' ass on the whippersnappers. You guys are right about the exercise- I am having 75% pain free days now.Thanks to heavy therapy and about a million reverse crunches a day.
Realcheapskates- it does happen, beware!
And as I found out it happens to anyone. I only weigh about 174 (6'1") and I actually was taking abdominal workout classes 3X a week when I blew it out. (that's probably what did it)Killed by exercise.For any younger guys who care- stretch,stretch, stretch! Work on flexibility. I sound like Zaritzky (sp?)
slob-air
Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:38 pm Reply with quote
O_T - I could use those -bruised my damn heel bailing of a r&r slide into the hip... ouch! That was this morning though -5 Advil and it'll be fine for tonights session
stivason
Posted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 31 Aug 2001 Posts: 3923 Location: Western Pennsylvania
[quote]
On 2003-05-22 16:49, schmittstix707 wrote:
God damn you guys are some old farts! I have to look foward to this!?!

The sad thing is I'm only 27 and I got over 3 pounds of plates, pins screws, ect. I'm gonna be alot of trouble when I get older. Check some of the pics http://groups.msn.com/stivason71a/shoebox.msnw?Page=2

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next