SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  STREET  »  Kickflip help
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kickflip help

72ss454
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I have similar problems. I have mad flip, great pop, never land on the grip. When I do, I shot the board across the street.
TheGreatGazoo!
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Keep your shoulders parallel to the board. That's a key thing.
Keep your eyes on the board and stick it.
jacbli76
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
nice HUGE avatar n00b
Rob_B
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Heels are simple.

Front foot slightly behind the rear front truck bolts. back of heel close to edge of deck, pop the ollie, kick the board out straight, stomp it.

Kickflips still elude me, but I don't really care anymore. I have more fun hauling ass on transitions than anything else.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
That's not my avatar I'm just happy to see you
mealsonwheels
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 26 Apr 2004 Posts: 7296 Location: Geelong Australia
I used to (I think they call it this now) 'mob flip' . Back in the late 80's it seemed kosher to kick your foot down and out to the side, basically the board flips but without much height. If you watch Jeff Kendall's kickflips in Wheels of Fire, you'll know what I mean.

I guess having a ten inch wide plank with no nose may have had a hand in this somehow?

I can still kickflip this way but I have also landed kickflips the 'modern' way and fuck they feel good. Just the way they suck up to your feet and with height - but I can't get them consistently.

I think one of the best things I've observed is putting your back foot square and across most of the tail when you ollie. This seems to keep the board directly underneath you after the spin. My problem is that a lot of the time I kick before I let the ollie float and the board sort of flails around in a half arsed flip that rolls on the tail.

Balls has a lot to do with it also, you really have to stomp those bitches and believe in your ability to spin them correctly.

Trent (clearfilms) can be seen doing some amazingly high, clean kickflips on his footage that is floating around here. Maybe he'll chime in and give us a rundown on consistent, stylish kickflips for the modern man?

Cappy
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
A smaller deck allows you to ollie first and then kickflip it, ollie one foot like to turn the board while moving the foot sidewise out. More technical as plain kicking the wider boards to move around. Double kickflips and heelflips are a pain in the ass, i can do them, but it's more flipping as olliieng the board.

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
TheGreatGazoo! wrote:

yep this man is right. When i was learning euhm i kept turning my upper body outward. I always did perfect flips but landed 'em with my back foot. Than I read a TWS with kien lieu explaining the kickflip. Key element: keep your shoulders allignied with the edge of your board. Tried that and BAM ...

clean flips.
Teephphah
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
NURZE wrote:
TheGreatGazoo! wrote:

yep this man is right. When i was learning euhm i kept turning my upper body outward. I always did perfect flips but landed 'em with my back foot. Than I read a TWS with kien lieu explaining the kickflip. Key element: keep your shoulders allignied with the edge of your board. Tried that and BAM ...

clean flips.

Dude. . .

Last night I spent TWO SOLID FREAKING HOURS trying to f-ing land an f-ing kickflip and after that I decided I was better off to just quit skateboarding altogether.

Now I have to start skateboarding all over again just to try this.

My big question is: Will this keep me from landing with my back foot "bolts" and my front foot baaaaaarely hanging off the front of my nose so that it eventually slips off and I roll my ankle (again) and take myself out of skating for another few months?

Because I'm fairly sure that's WHY I'm not landing them now. I'm a big chicken sh!t. I've just rolled my damn ankle off the nose so many damned times trying to learn this new fangled "kick off the side of the nose" approach that I'm not willing to commit to landing for fear of loosing more skate time.

Basically, I need a tip that will help me get the flip without the board drifting a bit behind me (laterally).

Got anything for that?

- Groucho Marx
roiVaS
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Ah the flips...
I'm oldskool as fuck, quit skating when the soapbar-streetskating style became standard.
I can kickflip but found it hard to land them after my 15 year-hiatus.
Now here's my tips:

-Ollie first, then make your frontfoot flip the deck
-Shoulders MUST be parallel to the board
-Don't kick the deck in front of you, keep it underneath
-If the deck flips slowly (like mine) try to flip off a curb or some stairs, you have more time to land them properly.

Hope this helps, if you don't land flips do'nt worry, skating is still a lot of fun without them, shove-its and no complys are getting cool again!!

Ride on bro!

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next