SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  advice on a new shop
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

advice on a new shop

flash
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
these 2 things are essential for having a successful shop...

1. location - open a shop in some nice neighborhood, near some middle/highschool, and where the rent is cheap. it gives you maximum exposure to the worlds biggest consumers, kids.

2. shoes - if you can get a nike SB, vans, DC, or lakai accounts, you're printing money. you won't be able to get these accounts until you've established yourself for at least 2 years and 2 years is a long time as far as shops go.

-----------------------------------------------------------

i've been doing hardgoods out of my pad for the past 7-8 years and let me tell you, theres absolutely no money in it. i'm a grown man with a regular job, so i just do it on the side for love/fun, and to keep me and everyone else in my neighborhood skating. my priorities are a little different since making money isn't that important to me but keeping everyone around me skating is. if you're okay with that mentality, go for it. sometimes its stressful dealing with kids but the what little reward i do receive, keeps me smiling.

i thought about opening up a real shop but i know 90% of the ones that open are destined to fail, thats is unless you have really good accounts and a sizeable bankroll as backup when things get slow. in short, retail is a shit business.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2