SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  HOT DISCUSSIONS  »  Stage 9 Indy kingpin conversion how-to with pics
Page 1 of 1    

Stage 9 Indy kingpin conversion how-to with pics

Slim
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Ok, I've explained my method several times but never took pics. Well, my son did his indys the other day and I took pics and here goes...

1. Grab a can of PB Blaster from the auto parts store. Squirt some in around the kingpin on both sides. Come back a few minutes later and bang the kingpin out with a hammer. Don't tell me they don't come out: I weigh 70kg/155lbs. and use a regular old household hammer and have never had any trouble getting them out - new trucks or used trucks.

2. I use this stuff, which is like a twinkie: the activator is the cream filling. You cut off a slice and mix it all together. You can also use JB Weld just as easily.

3. Grab a kingpin and those terrible hard indy bushings and put it together as shown on the right below. Basically what you're trying to do is make it so the kingpin is holding the nut tight against the inside/bottom of the baseplate exactly where you are going to want it to stay forever. Take some of of the epoxy putty and stuff it all around the nut, taking care not to get it on the threads of the kingpin or into the threads of the nut.

4. Put the trucks away for the night. In the morning, take the truck apart and put it back together the correct way and go skate. Enjoy!

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
I like the "throw it in a furnace" method.

Thanks for posting that, Slim, that'll help a lot people out.

Is that a cracked hanger (near the wheel on the left in the second pic)?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Thanks for the heads up. It does look like a crack in the pic. But I just went and looked at the actual truck and it's fine. Just a combo of grime and original surface imperfections in the truck. He hasn't had that set very long and with the new kingpins it ought to last him a few more months (our park has pool coping so trucks don't last forever, even for 75 lb. 12 year olds, ha!)

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Bump. Who was just asking about Indy 215's?

Page 1 of 1