SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Dew/moisture forming on skatelite in the evenings
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Dew/moisture forming on skatelite in the evenings

Rob_B
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
My buddy let Tim Kulas start his next project on his mother's property down here in South Florida. When he moved down to Stuart Tim wanted to save as much of his old bowl as possible so we moved what we could, saved the skatelite, coping, and everything else, then went on a huge mission to collect as many supplies as possible.

The mini-ramp that has been built and up since August and we've had some great evening/night sessions on since. Problem is that for the last month or so when it cools down a bit dew has been forming on the ramp and we can't figure out why. Tim never had a problem with dew when the bowl was in Orlando, however it wasn't as far up off the ground (see below).

The ramp is 24 feet wide, 5' high with an 8' extension, 8" decks, covered in skatelite and sits about three to four feet off the ground. The reason why we have it so high up is because we'll be waterfalling two bowl sections to allow for a 7" end and a 9" end.

I know some of you folks up north might have issues with cold weather creating dampness on a ramp, however I have never encountered such a problem down here in South Florida. I would think that it may be the humidity, however it just doesn't make sense. I've skated multitudes of backyard ramps and outdoor minis at parks and have never ran into such a problem in the evening.

Any one here have any experience with this or encountered it? If so does anyone have suggestions on how to combat such an issue?

Last edited by Rob_B on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I've eliminated the problem by having a tarp supported over the ramp with 2x6's.
Though the wind beat the hell out of it last night.
Rob_B
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The dew/moisture is coming up through the layers, not from above.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
???
That don't sound like dew, dew falls out of the air, when it can't hold any more moisture.
Rob_B
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely not a weather man

Anyway, what happens is that the air temperature drops and the moisture seeps up through the layers and through the skatelite. We had been skating for roughly two hours and wet spots started forming in the flat (from below). They are initially non-visible, but very slick (the ramp is superfast). About a half hour to 45 minutes after I took one of the biggest slams of the day (due to wetness) the entire ramp had moisture that resembled dew on it. Not a very fun experience.

Granted it led to more beer drinking and us killing the keg, but the lack of skating wasn't fun at all.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
I rolled my ankle bad because of condensation on some Trueride, it's still not 100%(3 months+)

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Here are some possible fixes that have been discussed here. I'm still looking for outside advice for people who have had similar issues:

1. Attach roll-up insulation to the underbelly of the ramp. I know this would work for soundproofing, but I'm not sure if it would kill the moisture.

2. Remove the layers of skatelite and place tar paper (roofing paper) underneath the final layer then relayer it. This has been mentioned for protection of bottom layers before, but I haven't heard any other uses. This could be done when we get ready to layer the bowl corners in after they're built.

3. Repaint the ramp completely. Place a primer/sealer layer on the skatelite first then paint it with another paint. We don't want to make it too grippy though.

Any thoughts? Advice? I know there's rampbuilders on here.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hell, that sounds like a typical day in Alabama. We are getting frost on the ramp now due to the drastic change in tempature over the weekend. It was in the 70s, today it is in the 30s-40s. We have tried many different things to keep the ramp dry with no luck. I was skating a ramp in Decatur a few years ago. It was dry as a bone and everything was great. I drank a few more beers and dropped back in. The ramp had a light dew on it and the back slipped over and I slammed the inside of both knees on the steel while doing the splits. To this day I have troble just dropping in. I have to pump from the flat until I know that there is no slick spots before i will drop in. When I do drop in I have a little voice in my head telling me this is going to be bad. I have almost after four years got over this, but still from time to time panic right before my wheels hit the ramp.
mikebu
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Skatelite is suppossedly waterproof so I am not sure how moisture would seap up through the layers.

Sounds more like condensation or dew coming down.

I wonder if some fans blowing through the ramp would help.
skateight
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, often am, ask my wife!
But I skate at all hours of the night ( pity the neighbors ) and never have dew problems.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next