SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  a few words about Quik going direct...and its impact...
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

a few words about Quik going direct...and its impact...

Cappy
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
yoyo wrote:

How can the 'core shops' survive.......???

Having rear cover and loyalty from the locals. That�s the only thing that counts. Hard/Softgood Brands are, and will always be exchangeable.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
skategeezer wrote:
funny no one seems bring up the classic case study of burning the folks who made ya:

AIRWALK....

You started out with Quiksilver, so ...... YES, Airwalk, is next up for the topic of the month.
yoyo
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Cappy wrote:
yoyo wrote:

How can the 'core shops' survive.......???

Having rear cover and loyalty from the locals. That�s the only thing that counts. Hard/Softgood Brands are, and will always be exchangeable.

I fully agree, but how many 'real' skaters are there today...?
Trendy groms do NOT count.

But on the otherhand, I don't know what's happening in Frankfurt, next big city near where I live.
Skateshops basically live off soft goods.

All I know is that my hardgoods sales have dropped dramatically, and fortunately it's only a part time biz for me, more like a hobby.
Freestyle is on the upswing, at least a litle bit, but sales are decreasing every year.
Cappy
Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
yoyo wrote:

I fully agree, but how many 'real' skaters are there today...?
Trendy groms do NOT count.

But on the otherhand, I don't know what's happening in Frankfurt, next big city near where I live.
Skateshops basically live off soft goods.

That is the problem. There aren�t enough skaters as companies/shops thing. They see the "trendy ones", "posers" as part of their market. At that point, everything is unstable and can crash everytime. Focus only on the "core", "real skater" market, yes this is probably only a short percentage, however you have a stable market. Spend money to organize demos, get the pros, make some "shows" in our town to increase your local "core", "real skater" market, instead getting in debt with softgood companies, to sell their shit.

Of course, you can sell some softgoods, but it should never your main market. It should help to pay some bills, nothing more. But most shops today make this mistakes.

yoyo wrote:

All I know is that my hardgoods sales have dropped dramatically, and fortunately it's only a part time biz for me, more like a hobby.
Freestyle is on the upswing, at least a litle bit, but sales are decreasing every year.

We are living in a time, where there are less kids born in the western countries. This means there will be a smaller local core market and those who skate will get older. So if your shop is a target only for the groms, you will probably loose your core market, because you don�t carry what i want, loyal or not, i�m forced to buy online.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
auragreg wrote:
what really sucks is that all of these big companies use the small shops to get big, and then once the big co's have their footing in the market, ditch the small shops who helped em.

I kind of figure it's the exact opposite! The small shops didn't help these brands get big: the brands' advertising and promotion and sponsorship budgets did that. The small shops got to benefit from that by having product in their stores that people already wanted to buy without any effort on the part of the shops: they didn't design the goods, they didn't manufacture the goods, they didn't promote or advertise the goods. All they did was sit on a stool behind a cash register and "sell" them.

I'm all for eliminating as many steps as possible between the manufacturer of a good and the end customer. This means eliminate the distributors and eliminate all the extra shipping of goods all around and eliminate as many stores as possible. Put all those people to work actually creating something rather than just profiting off of paper shuffling.

Produce locally, sell directly locally, would be the best. But even design locally, produce somewhere else, sell directly the same shit all over the country, is an improvement to the current designer, manufacturer, distributor, shop, customer chain of events.

God I hate commerce.

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The hidden secret here is that retail sales are looking more and more attractive to all businesses.
Direct sales is exactly how skateboard oriented brands will grow in the future.
Distribution will be less and less of the overall picture soon.
Manufacturers should consider the retail role as smart bussiness.
Look at deluxe and vans.

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2