SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  STREET  »  Santa Cruz and Powell Peralta street wheels
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Santa Cruz and Powell Peralta street wheels

Bails
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Oct 2007 Posts: 351 Location: Adelaide, South Australia
I just nabbed myself a set of mint SC Street Razors in pink on eBay, 60mm, 95A, and also a set of OJII Teamriders in ice blue, 64mm, 95A just like I used back in the day.

Basically I wanted to try what Natas, Dressen, Knox and the other street-only skaters were using in Speed Freaks. Seems the Razors were it - in Speed Freaks, at least. But I seem to remember the old Thrasher mags really emphasizing the Teamriders as the flagship SC wheel, back then. Lots of positive reviews - and i loved mine. I just never remembered hearing of Street Razors until i watched the DVD the other day.

I'm wondering what other SC or PP street skaters tended to ride back in the day, for their street-only duties. What made you choose the wheels you chose back in the day? The art? The rider? the specs? I was oblivious to specs as a kid, really. It was all about who rode what in Wheels of Fire, Streets of Fire and Ban This.

I've been riding reissue PP G-Bones for the last few weeks, but something just doesn't feel right. So it's back to OG for me.

I looked at all the variety of Santa Cruz wheels in the new Jim Phillips Skate Art book and swoon at all the ones i never rode (or even knew about). Then I watched some of the recent DVD releases of my fave old vids (Wheels of Fire, Ban This, etc) with some renewed interest specifically on wheel choices. It all makes me take more notice of what those guys were preferring back then. Makes me want to pick them all off the Bay and start trying out what i missed (and couldn't afford) back then!

Anyone here collect wheels?
never-too-old-to-skate
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 2527 Location: beyond the ether!
Bails wrote:
Basically I wanted to try what Natas, Dressen, Knox and the other street-only skaters were using in Speed Freaks
street only skaters? i watched natas carve it up doing stalefish and other nameless tricks on a mini-ramp in fremantle back in the 80's.

Mint/NOS
Red Powell Peralta
Roundnose XT Tommy Guerrero
Sloppy-Ollies
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Knox rips a pool in the Speed Wheels video too if I''m not mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eddies
Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I posted this earlier in the year, enjoy:

eddies wrote:
Was watching Speed Freaks and took note of who was skating what wheels at the time. Here's the list if anyone is interested:

Big Balls 65mm/97a - J. Phillips, SAlba, M. Nolder, J. Hedges, R. Roskopp, B. Pennington, B. Umbell

Bullet 60mm/92a - N. Blender

Bullet 60mm/95a - T. Knox, C. O'Brien, A. O'Brachailin

Bullet 60mm/97a - K. Meek, R. Simpson, D. Fisher, B. Brannon

Bullet 66mm/92a - K. McGuire

Bullet 66mm/95a - G. S. Davis

Bullet 66mm/97a - O. Nieder

Coffin Cuts - D. Donaldson

OJII Freestyle 97a - J. Humers

OJII Skyrockets 63mm/95a - Hosoi, A. Murray, S. Oster, B. Sterbins

OJII Skyrockets 63mm/97a - J. Jessee, S. Ventura, J. Grosso, P. Ngoho, M. Smith, J. Acosta

OJII Slalom 89a - S. Levine

OJII Street Razors 60.5mm/95a - E. Dressen, J. Thiebaud, R. Allen, Natas, M. Reyes, J. Mouseberg

OJII Teamriders 61mm/95a - J. Stranger, M. Vallely, T. Swank

OJII Teamriders 61mm/97a - T. Magnusson, D. Neilsen, A. Pulpanek, R. Mertz

OJII Teamriders 64mm/97a - J. Kendall, C. Grabke, S. Claar, D. Way

Slimeballs 65mm/97a - J. Gibson

Slimeballs Vomits 60mm/97a - B. Baxter

Didn't catch what the Godoys were skating (it wasn't posted on their section).

professor_pintossible
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
i am riding the street razors, 97a

great timeless wheels, the shape is pretty ideal-- not too skinny, or wide, and symmetrical. and the old thane is still pretty fast, especially on concrete
Teephphah
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
This hits close to home for me. Back from about 86 - 89 I would buy ANYTHING that had ANYTHING to do with Natas (still probably would, for that matter). So I rode OJII Teamriders and I absolutely loved them.

When I got back into skating a few years back, my wife tracked me down a NOS set of 95a Teamriders. I used to ride 92s but I figured, what the heck, they're still Teamriders, right?

Well, I guess not.

At least they're not like I remember them. Or, more likely, I'm not how I remember ME. I probably weigh, literally, 100 pounds more than I did back then, so when I go to do a powerslide, somehow all that weight makes it much harder to break traction than it used to be, even with the harder wheels.

I've tried "modern" wheels of various durometers by various manufacturers, but I still can't find a wheel that will give the older, fatter version of me the "juicy" (for lack of a better word) slides that I remember. It seriously feels like all the new wheels are almost "chalky" by comparison to what I remember.

Does that make sense to anyone?

If so, has anyone found anything that comes close?
ERIC 31
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
OJII Street Razors 60.5mm/95a - E. Dressen, J. Thiebaud, R. Allen, Natas, M. Reyes, J. Mouseberg

OJIII Street Razors!
One of my fave back in the day. Definitely a great street wheel when streets actually meant asphalt streets, rough ditches, curbs and schoolyard banks!

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
Just started collecting old Santa Cruz wheels. Got some NOS Street Razors in green with pink centres and some NOS Team Riders.

Trying to get hold of some big balls next. Damn that sounds so wrong
jacbli76
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Vundu wrote:
Just started collecting old Santa Cruz wheels. Got some NOS Street Razors in green with pink centres and some NOS Team Riders.

Trying to get hold of some big balls next. Damn that sounds so wrong

saw more than a few sets on ebay over the last week

good luck
Vundu
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Got some in green. would love to skate them as I never got any when I was younger but won't be able to bring myself to do it as they are mint.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next