SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  can't figure it out... looking for a board
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

can't figure it out... looking for a board

slob-air
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63458 Location: S&B HQ
Mig wrote:
I would suggest a Bennett 5.0 has a front truck and a Tracker RTS 129 has a rear truck.

Even better...

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL

to hawt.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
way, way too hawt.

Nick Peretti
New Jack City
EBasil
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Big Fish Joined: 24 Nov 2004 Posts: 335
I second everything Mig says up there, and lust for the trucks in Slob's posting, but have one caveat: you better be real used to speed with super-turny trucks if you go with those setups. They're top of the line, and state of the art -- exactly what are used at high speeds by racers. You might have those skills, no doubt.

You might also find that a setup with big, fast, soft wheels goes faster than you imagined...and then wish for more stability. So, an alternative to a fast "Giant Slalom board" might be a 38" "longboard" with concave and "Randal-style" trucks. Those trucks can be genuine Randals or Paris, Force, Holey brand units...and they're both turny AND stable at speed when set up right. It's easy to set them up right and you'll find that a 38" longboard with Randals (etc..) on it won't feel at all like a "40" plank" with street/pool trucks on it.

You could setup the Fullbag longboard or a Ladera Ripper (to name two options out of a zillion) to turn almost as aggressively but be more stable.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Damn Mig that Red Baron is sexy.

GS Only?

slob-air
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
EBasil wrote:

You might also find that a setup with big, fast, soft wheels goes faster than you imagined...and then wish for more stability. So, an alternative to a fast "Giant Slalom board" might be a 38" "longboard" with concave and "Randal-style" trucks. Those trucks can be genuine Randals or Paris, Force, Holey brand units...and they're both turny AND stable at speed when set up right. It's easy to set them up right and you'll find that a 38" longboard with Randals (etc..) on it won't feel at all like a "40" plank" with street/pool trucks on it.

Race me on a GS course with those trucks and I'll beat your ass every single time. I can work in extra pumps on my trucks that just aren't going to happen with Randal-style trucks.

Why do we call them Randal-Style? There were a number of cantalevered trucks that preceeded Randal.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
slob-air wrote:
Why do we call them Randal-Style? There were a number of cantalevered trucks that preceeded Randal.

A few, sure. But Randal has dominated that market in sales and exposure over the last ten years so that's the most common frame of reference for people.

You're right that they aren't great for GS compared to narrower slalom trucks. But I must admit that Jim O'Mahoney beat me in slalom before and he was riding a board with Randal 150s on it! Plus he's like 17 or 18 years older than I am! The only people I was faster than that day were the teen and younger boys and girls, ha! (now that i have my own board set up to my preference though, i bet i'd do a lot better: one of these days i'll find a race less than 300 miles away so i can find out).

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
Even better...
Of course! My truck combo/width suggestion came from the fact that drizzle wasn't looking for a full on slalom rig and seemed more attracted to a bomb/carve friendly setup without going for a longboard.

macsdaddy wrote:
Damn Mig that Red Baron is sexy.
Thanks!

macsdaddy wrote:
GS Only?
Nooo! I mainly use it at the 20.5" and 21.5" wb for hybrid courses with cone distances of 6.5' and up. For tighter stuff, I use the TS "Junk in the Trunk" edition at the 19.5" wb. Here's a pic showing part of the Fullbag line up, including the longboard EBasil was talking about. The tranny board is an Afroman Hustler that I reshaped and use while I work on my park/bowl shapes and molds.

slob-air
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
Slim wrote:

The only people I was faster than that day were the teen and younger boys and girls, ha!

You need ballast. The Brown Bomber suggests Prime rib.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
Big Fish Joined: 24 Nov 2004 Posts: 335
slob-air wrote:
EBasil wrote:

You might also find that a setup with big, fast, soft wheels goes faster than you imagined...and then wish for more stability. So, an alternative to a fast "Giant Slalom board" might be a 38" "longboard" with concave and "Randal-style" trucks....

Race me on a GS course with those trucks and I'll beat your ass every single time. I can work in extra pumps on my trucks that just aren't going to happen with Randal-style trucks.

The reason you'd be able to pump more is because the Randals are more stable... my whole point related to an alternative to a slalom racing board.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next