SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SNOWBOARDS  »  Shopping for a new board
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Shopping for a new board

eric_4380
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm 24.5" - 25" and 15,-9. You know.........more normal. HAHA. I change it up a bit though from time to time though.
Count Ratula
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Burton is just fancy marketing.

They've been a terd from the start.

They started the whole "skiers vs. snowboarders rivalry" to hide the fact that skiers were just getting mad at people riding Burton boards because they were hard to control, therefore dangerous on the slope.

Almost every functional advancement in snowboarding history has been delivered by Lib Technologies.

Magnetraction is inSANE!

The Banana was created with the mindset that snowboards are not skis, and where once it was work, now it's all fun!

Rossignol licensed magnetraction for only one board: the JDUB
(which is the John Jackson pro-model).

Now that John Jackson has moved to Forum, that will probably evaporate, though.

Any questions?

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
eric_4380 wrote:
First off........Flow bindings suck. Period. End of story. Step-ins do too.

Secondly..........Burton still makes amazing boards. Some people arn't into them and that's fine with me. The difference between a biggger skate company and a bigger snow company is HUGE. Smaller skate co's usually have superior product and rely on that versus a bunch of bullshit marketing. Smaller snowboard companies usually hype up their stuff and make junk. I always support the "little guys" for skate product. The difference being that you need more resources (ie. money) to constantly be devolping new technology. Burton, for example, spends a LOT of $$$ on R&D, testing, product devolpment, etc..... And as far as "losing their roots", Jake basically took an entire year off last year to do nothing but RIDE. I think that's rad.

Third......... Rome boards are good. They don't really make exactly what your looking for, but if you ever get the chance.........hop on the Mod.

Fourth.........Lib has always made good boards. They make skis now, and that sucks, but they do good stuff over there. I've never ridden a magnatraction board in powder, but I've ridden them in the park and I'm into it. Also, after the buy out, I think they're doing Rossignol boards with magnatraction. That's lame too..........but again, I think it works well.

Fiftth..........Palmer boards are waaaaaay overpriced. A perfect example of needing more resources if your trying to push the envelope.

Sixth........... Arbor boards arn't my cup of tee at all. Some people are really into them. I'm not. They seem to be built well though.

Seventh.......I've never been on a Bataleon board, but I've heard good things from the few people I know that have been on them.

Eighth........At the end of the day, there is a bunch of good product out there. It's really worth it to demo some stuff and go from there. If you don't have the chance, a good shop can narrow down your options based on riding style, ability, shoe size, weight, etc.....

-Eric

And.........auragreg..........why might a "mostly freeride guy" like yourself ride such a ridiculously ducked stance???

I think everything here is right on!

some additions:

1) head has been developing some amazing snowboards the last 3 years!!!

2) BBB, what do you ride? east coast ice, parks in the west, powpow in canada? That would makes the biggest impact what board I would buy.

Robert
eric_4380
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
@ Count Ratula

Not even gonna get into it. And.........like I said...........I have always been into Lib's stuff. I liked them a little more when they were privately owned and didn't make skis though.
Count Ratula
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The "skis" as you call them were a preventative measure to keep some other ski company from doing their own magnetraction skis.

Mervin Mfg. just wanted to corner the market on magnetrac.

And yeah, of course you won't get into it.

You wouldn't stand a chance.

Unless you wanna get into bindings strapped to a Banana-tech / magnetrac snowboard and have the time of your life!

Burton sucks at making snowboards, but they make some alright bindings, though (the ones that cover the toe).

Even Jamie Lynn has been known to rock those.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Uhhhh........ I HAVE. Rode the new Travis Rice with Magnetraction and Banana technology. I thought it was a great board. I even thought about picking one up at some point this season. I think the way they market that (magnetraction) is a little off though. Didn't do so hot on ice if you ask me. I think they should push it as more of a loose park setup. I also got a chance to ride the ics/est system and I already have the Jeremy Jones with est bindings. And yeah, I've known Lib reps AND riders who ride Burton bindings. I've ridden a bunch of Mervin stuff over the years and I still would, but you CAN'T say Burton makes shit. And.......they certainly don't make fucking skis.

-Eric
BillyBonebrake
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I ride Vermont on soft days and do some hiking for powder. If it gets icy I surf the shoulders.

Now I'm thinking about a supermodel 163. Never had a problem with either Burtons I've had.

My local shop couldn't pay his bill from Burton last season, in time anyway ... he eventually finished paying it, and getting the lein waiver signed off. But when he asked about this season's order they said he'd have to pony up a hefty service charge to reactivate his account. Now his shop is half full, with some romes and a few salomons. But yeah the bindings are great ... everybody has/needs/wants Burton, from a retailers perspective anyway.
Count Ratula
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Burton is hype. They are the MTV board.

Lots of coverage, and not really a BAD board, but definitely not the best.

Not even close.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Count Rats: Aren't one-word opinions about as "MTV" as it gets?

I'm buying a Burton Supermodel 163. I'm 45 years old and know what I like. Burton does more than just build snowboards, BTW.

They've earned my loyalty with service, too.
Count Ratula
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow...they bought a bowl. All that proves is that they had some money to spend.

They never did learn how to build a cap construction board properly, so they gave up.

Burton = Hurtin'.

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next