SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Philly 11/1-11/7
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Philly 11/1-11/7

cmainiac666
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
TROLL Joined: 26 Jul 2007 Posts: 5745 Location: ether
My wife and are heading to Philadelphia 11/1-11/7. are there any other parks than FDR or spots worth hitting? She'll be in a conference for the first few days so I'm looking to ride a bit.

Also, if anyone has info on good neighborhoods to move to, that'd be cool. We're gonna take some time to scope out the area.
PAWN
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been back to Philly in a while, but I used to live in Chestnut Hill (born and raised in Philly, lived all over it, but CH was the last spot I lived). Super nice area with some expensive and affordable homes as well. It's a safer neighborhood. Avoid SW Philly as if it were the plague (highest murder rate in the city.) There's no good parks around philly other than FDR. If you're lookin to live in the city and don't want to keep your car, center city around queen village/society hill is super nice, also expensive in comparison to other neighborhoods in philadelphia, cheap in comparison to the Bay Area though (well isn't everything in the country?) Roxborough isn't bad and you could have yourself a nice house for relatively inexpensive (say $320k for a 4/2 with a yard). I'm actually looking into moving back to Philly with my woman and child come next year (most likely moving back to Los Angeles though).

Have fun there, Philly is an awesome city. Don't get a pat's or gino's or jim's steaks, they're tourist traps. Get a chubby's or dalesandro's in roxborough, bigger and better and no real lines aside for locals. Lorenzo's and So. pizza is no longer doing huge slices for some reason, so that place is out.

www.fine-co.com buy some shit!
cmainiac666
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
thanks man- we're looking to move there b/c the housing here is fucking ridiculous....for a ghetto neighborhood here it's like 500K for a fixer upper.

Appreciate the info on the dining too!!
PAWN
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah I don't know if this is still around, but there is/was a restaurant called Marakesh, and it's hidden in an alleyway across from the Philly Deli on South Street. That place is super good morrocan food.

The reason you are looking at Philly is the exact same reason I am. If I go, we should definately skate. I'd be building a mini in my backyard if we move to Chestnut Hill.

Oh forgot to mention, lots of the suburbs are very nice too, and totally resonable in comparison to where you live. Gladwyn is expensive but really nice, Conshohocken is ok, but they are having/been having a rise in prices for no real reason (I don't think it's worth it there), Lafayette Hill isn't bad either (my parents live there).

I'm heading to Philly on Nov. 8th for a new tattoo and to visit my family...can't wait for the cold weather!

cmainiac666
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm from Buffalo orginally- looking forward to the cold as well! although I shouldn't complain right now- it's end of October and 74 outside.
PAWN
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
89 here in Miami.

cmainiac666
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
damn....that's hot.
DTAskater
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Oct 2006 Posts: 821 Location: Groton, Connecticutz, U.S.A.
woodward philly is cool. its kindof stupid the way they run it. but its a fun park.

PAWN
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote
DTAskater wrote:
woodward philly is cool. its kindof stupid the way they run it. but its a fun park.
no shit, there's a woodward in Philly now?! That's pretty crazy.

rak5877
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote
if you're gonna hit FDR get there EARLY and if you can do it mid-week, even better. it crowds up fast with shit-talking paperboys who never drop in crowding the deck.

be chill though, (overly?) intense local vibe. but they built it, so they earned it.

if you're lookin to move in the area, south jersey might be cheaper.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next