SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  help with sizes of small boards(zip zinger type)
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

help with sizes of small boards(zip zinger type)

flash
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
hey all,

i'm looking to buy a zip zinger(or a board of its size, recommendations needed) and was wondering what company makes those tiny trucks? i also need a good wheel recommendation as well.

i've been skating for 20+ years(street mostly with an occassional battle with vert/mini/pool) but thought one of these would be fun to fly around on. outside of my street deck, i have a classic cab(87) with some wide indys and 80 krytos that i'm using as a crusier but i'm looking to add to the fun with a smaller more narrow deck that isn't so beastly.

any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated as i'm completely clueless when it comes to these boards. links to retail sites and such would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for your help.
moneymonster
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Well there is a zipzinger 7.8" and a zipzinger nano 7.5"?
I would say 8.25" to 7.75" trucks for the zinger and 7.75" to 7" on the nano. Its all personal preference. Also depends on whether the wheels are side set or center set.
Is it for cruising or do you want to do tricks on it?

For trucks look at independent, ACE, and krux makes a decent truck
I think ACE makes the smallest truck out of the three.
flash
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
moneymonster wrote:
Well there is a zipzinger 7.8" and a zipzinger nano 7.5"?
I would say 8.25" to 7.75" trucks for the zinger and 7.75" to 7" on the nano. Its all personal preference. Also depends on whether the wheels are side set or center set.
Is it for cruising or do you want to do tricks on it?

For trucks look at independent, ACE, and krux makes a decent truck
I think ACE makes the smallest truck out of the three.

thanks for your response.

it doesn't have to be a zip zinger, it can be any board thats relatively the same size. personally, i'd like it to have an unusual shape(zips are kind of bland) as it adds to fun factor.
in any case, i was looking for slim and small so the zip nano(or something of like size) seems to be the way to go.

i don't know what you mean by the wheels are side set or center set?

i'll have to check out the trucks but i'm really looking for something small so ACE sounds like the right ones.

basically i want a crusier that isn't so darn heavy, everything i'm looking for has to be small, skinney, and lightweight. riding around on the cab deck is cool, but carrying it around starts to become a burden. the deck would mostly be for cruising but popping a couple of ollies here and there doesn't hurt.

and again, thanks for your help.
moneymonster
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I've never actually seen a nano in person so not sure of the size. Shops have it listed as 7.12".
There are lots of options to choose from. Even companies like zero have small cruisers now.
Find a deck you want and figure out what fits best on it to your liking. Some like to have the wheels stick out on the sides while others do not.
Centerset wheels have the bearing set in the middle of the wheel, and the overall width remains close to the same width of the truck axle, unless they are wide wheels. Sideset wheels have the bearings off to the side of the wheel resulting in a longer overall width.
flash
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
thank you moneymonster.

i'll go with center set wheels since sometimes you end up rolling over your heel when you push with side set wheels. the krytos i have are side set and i had it happened to me once.

the big thing for me is, i just want to buy it in a one shot, not shop around looking for this part and that, only to end up paying for shipping multiple times. i wish the local shops(not blades, zumiez, or pac sun) carried some non-street boards and other hard goods but thats what sells i guess.

any good sites you could recommend that would have a big selection of these types of boards? also, i googled zip zinger, but i'm thinking theres another name for these types of boards.

sorry to be a bother.
moneymonster
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
If you used sideset wheels you just go down a size in trucks.

If you go to the stickies section and then the big thread of links or something like that, there is a whole list of companies websites that you can usually browse through. And if you scroll down there is a list of online shops. Some are run by members here (oldschoolskaters.net, strange-house.net, tailtap.com, speed-dealer.ca, calsk8.com) among many others. All are excellent to deal with. They might even special order what you like.

There are other online shops you could check if you are not finding what you're looking for. maybe do a search for online skatboard shops or something.

You might even want to put this question in the Hot Discussions section. I'm not sure how many actually check this section. I know I often skip it. You might get some more help and suggestions there. Be prepared for some hazing. its normal. If you're a reasonable person and you keep a sense of humor you should be fine. Oh and if anyone askes you to post a pic of yourself, do it!
Slim
Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Well, 2600 posts and I finally got hit by the "double-post" thing!

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
FWIW, I used indy 129s with the soft center-set narrowish powell/bones wheels on my zipzinger for a few years - rode it in rough skateparks and all around on the streets (and even took it to japan once). Now I have the tracker rts/rtx slalom trucks on it with turner cambria wheels. I couldn't make the "tight" slalom course in golden gate park yesterday on my regular fancy slalom deck but I could on the zip zinger! Mine is drilled for a 15.25" wheelbase: normal ones have like 14.25".

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
looks like they have a few here http://www.oldschoolskaters.net/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=85

flash
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
thanks for all your help guys.

i've checked out a couple of sites and pretty sure what i want to get. hopefully i'll be crusing around on my new setup this time next week.

oddly, i was really bored last night and setup a board using a 2 foot piece of 2x4. i haven't ridden it outside yet but so far its dangerous as hell. the trucks are too close so turning doesn't really work like it should, and being its only 4" wide balancing on it is a trick in itself. i setup it up for fun, i'm just hoping i don't end up in the hospital.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next