SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  vaccuum veneers
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

vaccuum veneers

Slim
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
frokster wrote:
i've did some tests with vacuum, and: YES, it seems te work in a very beautifull way.
BUT i stay with my point on the glue: Woodglue needs more pressure then what vacuum can provide.
In theorie: with vacuum-bagging you can only press as much as the atmosphere: +/- 1bar or 15psi.
While the glue needs about 5 times more.

I don't know who told you this, but the thousands and thousands of people making decks with the roarockit kit, which uses nothing more than a simple (wine-making) hand pump, prove you wrong. I've made three myself. One 8-ply maple veneer longboard (with concave and camber), one typical 7-ply popsicle street deck, one 3x3ply baltic birch plus 1 ply of bamboo downhill speedboard.

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Slim wrote:
frokster wrote:
i've did some tests with vacuum, and: YES, it seems te work in a very beautifull way.
BUT i stay with my point on the glue: Woodglue needs more pressure then what vacuum can provide.
In theorie: with vacuum-bagging you can only press as much as the atmosphere: +/- 1bar or 15psi.
While the glue needs about 5 times more.

I don't know who told you this, but the thousands and thousands of people making decks with the roarockit kit, which uses nothing more than a simple (wine-making) hand pump, prove you wrong. I've made three myself. One 8-ply maple veneer longboard (with concave and camber), one typical 7-ply popsicle street deck, one 3x3ply baltic birch plus 1 ply of bamboo downhill speedboard.

Nobody needs to tell me this. I can think on my own !

Woodglue needs +/- 150psi (http://www.titebond.com/DetermineTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=ProductIntroTB.asp) , atmosphere provides +/- 15psi (scientific fact, go to skool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure, see "standard atmospheric pressure")

YES YOU CAN MAKE A DECK WITH VACUUM-PRESS, i made several myself. BUT HAVE THEY THE SAME STRENGTH, POP, FLEX ? if you're riding a 10feet vert, i matters !

Does anybody has hard facts and numbers on that ? is there a way to test/measure ?

maybe the glue-producers will give an answer... let find out...
yoyo
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Hi frokster!

Take a look here http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com...d-board-building/

Tons of infos and some of these boards have heavy bends, so go ahead and ask over there.
skinny
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
I can add one piece of important info....
Lamination can be correctly performed at 100 psi, even with tb3.
This is where things like glue application come into play.
Remember that glue is effected by things like humidity, heat and force.

I will tell you that it can be done, I do it regularly, and it makes decks that are just as durable. They key is in knowing all of the limitations, and then adjusting to correct them.

I do belive that a compressed deck can be made MORE durable, with less loss.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3