SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  First year almost through
Page 1 of 1    

First year almost through

notus
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 Feb 2007 Posts: 90 Location: North Augusta South Carolina
Well my first year is almost over and I have learned a few things about the popsicle generation, they are very one sided. They also believe everything the skate guy tells them as long as they can hang out everyday and play video games without spending any money except for drinks.
Until I opened there was only one skateshop within 60 miles of us.
I started small and I have a real job. The other guy apparently does not and he was really pissed that after four years someone invaded his turf.
I started in a place called a mini-mall which is an old K-Mart building converted into smaller shops.
The competition imeadiately started spreading the lie that I was in a flea market and that I would be shut down. By who I thought the skate police?
Anyway I am moving into a stand alone building now that I have built up a client base and I feel that things will go well.
School will be starting soon so I put in some soft goods, belts, t-shirts etc. The softgoods are a hit, the whole point of sale thing is there and even the parents dig it (Son we don't want to buy a board today how about a bracelet?) Stickers work good and shoes will do better when I start buying direct. I need some contact info and maybe some heads up of who will work it out in my area.
Now that I am increasing my shop by four times the square footage I am considering stocking for everyone including Mom, Dad and Sis.
The most positive feedback I've gotten about my little shop is from Mom, Dad and Sis they like my shop because I don't have a flop couch, I don't have a "back room" and I have a presentable Christian based store.
My daughter takes care of business and my wife is really starting to get into the groove of gripping decks and building boards.
They seem to click with some of the buyers in a girl way, "you know that red Baker really matches the Grind Kings and the Spitfire wheels" crazy but it works.
My lurking opinion is softgoods / shoes carry a lot of profit margin.
Off the wall items work good.
Fresh decks are hot! CCS is always a month behind me because of the flea-market rumor some thought I had fake or old product. Now they see it in my shop before the CCS mag advertises it as new or exclusive.
I owe all of the freshness to a great relationship with my vendors. The salesmen have no problem courting you but make them do some work. I tell them to call me when the new stuff arrives and don't wait until it shows up on their website.
In return I buy enough to get the free shipping so I guess it is good for both of us?
I always smoke when it's over!

Please share your shop input / opinions/ critiques with me.
Later
auragreg
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
good to hear you're doing well and growing. Keeping your day job was a good idea too.

Get into shoes as soon as you can afford it. It will be worth your while. Crappy, but true.

Don't get caught up in the trash talk. It will only preoccupy you and make you bitter.

Customer service is everything. Be cool to the kids and their parents and they will thank you by coming back. The parent swill also appreciate you being a good role model. I know skaters hate to hear that they are role models - but it's true.

I miss my shop a lot ... but it just didnt work for me in our economic climate.

good luck. You'll get lots of good advise here.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards

Page 1 of 1