SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  RAMPS  »  Tips on Installing Coping
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tips on Installing Coping

ccb_dan
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
My brother built a 6' mini half pipe in his backyard and wants to install some coping but we have no clue how to do it. What material is best/easiest and how do we do it?

Suggestions are very appreciated.

Dan
backsidedisaster
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Metal coping will always be the best IMO.

Get some at home depot along with some toggle bolt anchors. Tape down your coping on the ramp so that it is in the spot you want it and is secure, then you drill through the 2x4's. I would suggest not drilling into the coping from here as well since you stand a good chance of breaking the bit.

After holes are drilled slide a marker through the hole so you can mark where you want to drill on the coping. Take the coping off and drill the holes for the toggle bolts. These will have to be larger than the screw holes in order for the bolts to fit through.

Once you've done this slide the screws through the holes in the 2x4's and put the toggle bolts on. Line your holes in the coping up with the toggle bolts and slide them through. Tighten everything up and you're good to go.

Also make sure to use washers on the 2x4's. I forgot them the first time and the screws ended up pulling through somehow.
falba70
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
get a pry bar and visit the local pool, be careful not to get caught. pop off what u need, get some liquid nail and apply.
ccb_dan
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
Cool. Thanks. Pool coping would be sick but I'd get caught. I'll stick to steel for now.

Thanks guys.
mikebu
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Another option is too weld the steel coping to the ramp. Get some small rectangle pieces of metal, drill some holes in them for screws, and in the layer under your riding layer cut out rectangles for them so that will touch the coping. Do this above and below the coping and screw them in and then weld the steel coping to them.
Maceman
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2005 Posts: 1139 Location: Hamilton, Ontario
backsidedisaster wrote:
Metal coping will always be the best IMO.

Get some at home depot along with some toggle bolt anchors. Tape down your coping on the ramp so that it is in the spot you want it and is secure, then you drill through the 2x4's. I would suggest not drilling into the coping from here as well since you stand a good chance of breaking the bit.

After holes are drilled slide a marker through the hole so you can mark where you want to drill on the coping. Take the coping off and drill the holes for the toggle bolts. These will have to be larger than the screw holes in order for the bolts to fit through.

Once you've done this slide the screws through the holes in the 2x4's and put the toggle bolts on. Line your holes in the coping up with the toggle bolts and slide them through. Tighten everything up and you're good to go.

Also make sure to use washers on the 2x4's. I forgot them the first time and the screws ended up pulling through somehow.

this is how we did my ramp and it is very secure. Togglebolts for sure.
DickGozenya
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I used togglebolts and they broke off. I got a Tap and die set and just bolted the stainless to the ramp. it has worked out great.

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks again everyone.
simshardcore
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Oct 2005 Posts: 6816 Location: Virginia Beach still has no waves!
My coping is 12 foot long...a regular bolt at each end (within wrench reach) and I used an eye-hook bolt to pull the middle in. I opened the eye-hook so it looks like a "J", hooked it into the hole in the coping, slid the bolt through the hole in the ramp frame wood and tightened from the back. Pulled it in perfectly and steady as a rock!

rightfootforward
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:07 am Reply with quote
I used L shaped metal shelve supports on mine.
Just put your coping on and stick one side of the support in the end through the pipe and screw the end hanging down to the ramp.
It will hold fast for years to come with no twisting or turning..

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next