SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Make skate trucks.
Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Make skate trucks.

Reno_Rotary
Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
is titanium softer than steel?

I thought that was the whole magic of aluminum trucks on steel coping. That the truck was softer then what it was grinding, so your truck gets wore down, not the coping.

If you're going to ride something that chews up coping you might as well be a biker.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
i dont think its harder than steel because my 1st titanium hammers waffle head wore off in really no time just hitting harden steel nails, & the company quickly designed a replacable steel head, as for harder than concrete i would assume it is, so it may eat up that coping, but even aluminum takes a toll on concrete coping.

cant say im familiar w/ magun downhill trucks, but i will look into them & see if they have a titanium model , if there was a place to justify the expense of titanium it would be on the downhill market as those trucks often command 3 digits per truck.....

i recall seeing an offset slalom truck & thinking it may be titanium but never got an answer as to its material
Titletownjeff
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
After melting down 12 Yugos and the gold chain around his neck....Dan created....a case of trucks that suck ass
mkelty
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Machinesound wrote:
Just one, in the yoke, for the kingpin...
There's pics over at OMA (with close ups) of a couple of us testing them.
Those are the geometry mules and some new patterns are being worked on as I find time. Right now they turn like no other.

I must say, very interesting....

Indy/Bennety Kingpin with a Tracker pivot:

Quote:
The design was developed from frankensteined existing truck castings that had been extensively machined, altering their characteristics. Those who skate with me have tried them. The foundry patterns started as some alder left over from some wood projects, ripped down on a table saw, then band sawed, and some parts lathed, all sized to blueprints. Finished in polished lacquer. These parts were then taken to a foundry that makes gear housings for racecars among other things using A356 aluminum, heat treated to T6 specs.
The pivot geometry is steeper than an Indy. The aligned pivot may look like a tracker, but it's aligned with the kingpin bore, Indy's don't have this. This is why they don't turn deep and why they eat pivot bushings.
Notice the plates don't have 2 sets of holes. The whole casting fits within the modern plate bore. That old crap is gone, who the hell wants that stuff. The pivot bush is machined Delrin. The hangers are bored (straight) and are faced. The Axles are 6al4v Titainium at .313 dia. Not 5/16, not 8mm, the 608 bearings have a snug fit that won't jam. There is mucho clearance between the Titainium kingpin and the axle. Talk to Carlos about flying across the coping on those hangers.
The goal is to make a really light truck to compliment a bigger board(my test board is lighter than an 8" popsicle). And a truck that turns really well off setting longer wheelbases. And all around making available a truck that is right for F-ing 2009 (ALREADY), not one that was sitting in a proshop when I was a kid in 1979 (like these others that everybody seems to love).
Anyway, I am not a cranky old guy. I am just trying make something for all you skaters that deserve better.

These guys seem to dig 'em:

http://forums.oldmanarmy.com/phpBB3/v...?f=16&t=16545

I'd love to see what they feel like underfoot...

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
Cool looking kingpin.
Machinesound
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Aluminum is softer than Titanium. Yes Ti castings would turn coping to dust, not so cool. The trucks ride REALLY well. Very turny and fun in the pool. The hangers feel great on the coping. Some have said that they are the best feeling trucks they've riden. The design is from scratch and the geometry is not interchangable with other trucks. Presently I am working on the revision which will be pretty damn cool.
Reno_Rotary
Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
and to clarify I looked it up and most titaniums are softer than steel, the real question I had.

Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Feb 2007 Posts: 15449 Location: R'lyeh 47°9′S 126°43′W / 47.15°S 126.717°W / -47.15; -126.717
I think these have promise. They look cool and someone has ridden them. So egg into everyones face that said it was a waste of time. The dude pulled it off.

Right on, naysayers only increases my output, doesn't stop me.

Keep up the good work.

Machinesound
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Reno_Rotary wrote:
and to clarify I looked it up and most titaniums are softer than steel, the real question I had.

The strength of a material has alot to do with it's flexibilty or resiliency.
It has to do with the alloy (chromoly for example) AND how the material has been heat treated. A truly hard alloy would shatter like glass an be good for nothing. On ferrous metal heat treating usually takes place after the machining process. In the anealed or soft state the stronger metals are easier to work with. Aluminum machines rather easily when in the hardened state. The hardness or springiness is measured on the Rockwell C scale...I think an ideal axle hardness would be around C45.

Krayola, thanks for the support. Developing this truck seems like it's taking forever...
Reno_Rotary
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
why do you shoot off these replies that have little tie to what we're talking about?

I asked if titanium is softer than steel and you replied that aluminum is softer than titanium.

I said I found my answer in that some titaniums are softer than steel and you jump into titanium treatments vs aluminum treatments and properties, not once getting close to an answer clarifying what you're using. I don't want to know exactly what you're using, or what treatments, or that if you used certain treatments that they would be brittle. Just if the titanium you're using for your truck is softer than the steel used in coping, thats it, thats been my question/thought since the beginning.

Page 3 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next