SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  If I were going to design a skatepark...
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

If I were going to design a skatepark...

bondiboy66
Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Aaaah! You changed your screen name since then!

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 Posts: 493 Location: Massachusetts - USA
A few of the parks that I have been to that have a great range of small, medium, and large tranny include:
Fair Oaks Park - Sunnyvale, Northern California, United States

SMP Shanghai and this little peanut bowl that was a max of 3 feet deep with like 9' tranny!

And - though I am not a big fan of pre-fab parks - I have been to two parks around Boston that have the Woodward ramps - and I have to say these ramps offer some good starter ramps to learn on - here's a couple of examples:

One park that is only 25 min away has the mini-half pipe in the image above. Very sweet! It's 12' wide, 4' high with 10' flat and about an 8' radius - perfect for learning stuff. And the skatelite surface is about good enough.

I'm working on learning rock and rolls (again), want to learn tails slides and boardslides and try to do backsides airs off the ramp to the flat. That's the plan/goals for summer 2007!
tioem
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Feb 2004 Posts: 5478 Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
mkelty wrote:

San Rafael has a beautiful Peanut bowl...
...and it's a shame I can't ride it. The fucker's 7' deep and then 11' deep. Just not worth it...

San Rafael's bowl isn't 7 in the deep. I think it's 5'. The deep is 10'.

Don't worry about not being able to ride it, it's not that fun. The waterfall ruins it.

I don't mind having to be prepared to hit deep walls, sidewalls, and shallow walls, but to have to be prepared to hit a waterfall just ruins the fun of flying back to the shallow. If you'r not ready for it, that waterfall will eat your lunch.

...but yeah, it's a big bowl.

When you pass, I'll be less angry.

http://tomledin.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mkelty
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
"...If you'r not ready for it, that waterfall will eat your lunch..."

And your teeth...

Same thing over at Menlo Park. I like the deep Square/Round combo, but it's a pretty steep waterfall in from the middle, and slick as all get out. Not enough momentum coming out, lean too far forward, kiss your lips goodbye....

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
We were ranting about waterfalls on the Worcester, MA Rants thread as well:

maseru-man wrote:
BillyBonebrake wrote:
My personal experience is airborne body slam into the opposing wall. Exilerating, really. Keeps you humble.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me - nice bruises on my shoulder to prove it!

A few weeks back I skated this bowl at 3rd Lair in Minneapolis. The bowl is 6' in the shallow end and 9' in the deep end - but this waterfall is workable...though I was really careful at first...

m-m
bondiboy66
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey MM, did you try the Bra Bowl when you were here? The waterfall in that thing is so steep that you can literally air it going either way. You can compensate, and if going for the big carve you just sorta cross it over the hips...mind you thats what I was doing when I slid out (thanks to greasy concrete from some dickhead burning a bin in the deepend) and after a short flight landed on the transition in the opposite end of the deep... Result: one busted right arm Havent had the ticker to skate it ever since, which is a pity as I really liked that bowl.

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
bondiboy66 wrote:
Hey MM, did you try the Bra Bowl when you were here?

I did - I agree the safest way over a waterfall...is to carve around it!

This is probably the fall that gave me the lump under my chin for life!

m-m
kirksucks
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
here's that double tranny/coping thing i was talking about in Concord.

thers a mirror of that on the other side too. there was this rollerblader kid trying to do it tho.
maseru-man
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
maseru-man wrote:

Design it to be used all year round
Please - put awnings either for rest areas or over the skating area to protect against sun in the summer or nasty winter or rainy weather at other times. Ever see some towns in the north that have covers over an outdoor hockey rink! That could drastically extend the usable time for a park. I think it is burnside in Oregon that is under a highway - excellent.

For Northern climates which get lots of snow or rain - I would design the park such that an Air Dome could be added so that the park could be used during winter. It's pretty common here in Mass for Pool and Tennis clubs to have an air dome over their pool in winter and then to take it down over summer.

Basically - that means designing a concrete park with some standard rectangular dimensions that match some popular commercially available air dome dimensions - like tennis court dimensions. That way - it might even be possible to buy a used air dome from a tennis place that goes out of business.

This is a place in Wilkes-Barre, PA!

I think that they might do this at a park or two in Sweden. Malmo maybe?

m-m
jraboin
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote
My feeling is that anything over ten feet should only be built if there is a ridulous budget you're working with, like 500,000 and over. So far in my opinion Breaking Ground makes the best skateparks for everyone and maximizes the use of space. BG also pays close attention to the details such as setting coping correctly and sealing the surface. Lewiston, Me and Wethersfield, CT are prime examples of parks with a little bit of everything.

Just because a park is huge doesn't mean its good.

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next