SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Just checking in......
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Just checking in......

skinny
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to take a second to see how some people are doing.....
So if in the past I have been able to help you out. Be it, graphics, printing, advice, or setting up manufacturing. Please just take a second to tell us how you are doing, and if I helped.

I belive this kind of thing is important to keep going, and if you find yourself in the position to help out your fellow skateboarder, do it.
If you think you need some help, hit me up.

Thanks for being who you are, and for doing what you do. I am a skateboarder and so are you, thats all we need in common.-Milt
community
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Overall I am doing OK with the company. I am operating at a loss so far but hopefully that will change in the not to distant future. If not, its not a huge deal, I am not doing this for the money anyway. As far as I can tell the first couple of years are rough for any new business so it seems I am following that trend.

I have a decent day job that allows me to keep the company afloat and the wifey is supportive of that so all is well.

I gotta say Milt had some good suggestions for me with regards to manufacturing. He also got me a good contact for graphics in the future and hooked me up with a shop owner to potentially carry my decks.

On that note if any of you guys are looking to do deck graphics get at me. Also if any of you shop owners are looking to carry any smaller company decks and some apparel let me know. I can provide you some idea of what I am about. You can either PM me with your info and a link to some work you have done or hit my email [email protected].

Milt thanks for everything and I cant wait to get my deck.

www.communityskateboards.com
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Since you are in Wisconsin, have you looked into Manufacturing in Northern Wisconsin? There are a few woodshops up there to my knowledge. Maybe it can save you some more money with the woodshop close. For all I know, you might be getting stuff down in your home state, just thought I'd let you know you have options and the majority of the good wood comes from Northern Wisconsin from Great Lakes...
Herosk8
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
we had a run of bad luck at the end of last year. we were using deckprinting.com to get our boards. great wood (the wood was from syndrome) decent print job. we placed an order about 2-3weeks before thanksgiving and made a deposit. they told us the boards would be done right before thanksgiving and we still havent seen them. so we lost our deposit and that really sucked.

After some help with skinny( i owe you man!) we are now hooked up with joe and Penns and we love the wood better than the old boards. Joe keep up the great work, you have customers for life here, and hopefully some big orders soon!.

some good news. We have started printing our own shirts, with the help of my dads classroom at the school he teaches at. he teaches technology and stuff like that and they have screen printing equipment and we use that. i printed over a 150 shirts one day and they look great. i will post pics soon! we are looking into getting our own equipment so if any one has an old single color printer and a flash dryer we may be interested. heck even if any one has plans so i could build one that would be great also!!!

josh
Hero
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
community
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
CH3NO2JAY wrote:
Since you are in Wisconsin, have you looked into Manufacturing in Northern Wisconsin? There are a few woodshops up there to my knowledge. Maybe it can save you some more money with the woodshop close. For all I know, you might be getting stuff down in your home state, just thought I'd let you know you have options and the majority of the good wood comes from Northern Wisconsin from Great Lakes...

I have actually looked into gettting stuff made here. I was only able to find one woodshop though. After finding said woodshop I heard about some crazy stuff that went down there and didnt end up using them. I know that most of the wood used in decks comes from my neck of the woods though.

Do you know of any woodshops in WI currently? Feel free to PM or email me.

heelflip
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Down here in good old Ecuador a brand name street deck costs about $80, and a blank is between $50-60. So I came up with the idea of trying to make composite decks here being that it would not be worth it to import maple. After talking to Milt, it seemed like the best route for me is to import boards being that making boards is something that takes years to perfect. So, being that Ecuador is almost as poor and taken advantage of as China, I don't feel too terribly bad about importing boards that I think are made in china from skateseason.com I can get boards to the local skater at around $35 a board and they're super stoked on that price. I havnen't officially made the import yet, but after about a month of heavy investigation I have all the importing stuff figured out. Going to start with about 150 boards, 20 sets trucks,wheels,bearings,hardware and if it works out, going to go maybe 300 boards on the next shipment. I'm just going raw blanks and going to have them painted and mini-logoed here in Ecuador becuase I can do that for less than a buck a deck. That's where i"m at so far. Later on, I plan on expirimenting with deck building, but for now just going to go the buy in bulk route. Thanks for your help Milt.
CH3NO2JAY
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
One woodshop I know of that gets there stuff from Great Lakes Veneer is called RibLake Plywood in Northern Wisconsin. I have there info somewhere and I'm pretty sure they are still in business, but from memory, the guy you would want to talk to I believe is named Jason and I'm pretty damn sure they do Beer City if you are digging their wood lamination.

Edit = Sorry for the semi side track of the intial topic...
Everide
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm still perfecting the manufacturing process. It has taking me a while to get everything ready since I am making most of the equipment from scratch. Once my heat transfer roller is complete I will be ready to roll.

I should be completely ready to start full production in the next 1 - 1 1/2 months.

Milts been great help with several manufacturing aspects. He with holds just enough information to weed out the lazy people who want a handout and gives enough info to help determined individuals get in gear Thanks for the help Milt.

JZ
community
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
CH3NO2JAY wrote:
One woodshop I know of that gets there stuff from Great Lakes Veneer is called RibLake Plywood in Northern Wisconsin. I have there info somewhere and I'm pretty sure they are still in business, but from memory, the guy you would want to talk to I believe is named Jason and I'm pretty damn sure they do Beer City if you are digging their wood lamination.

Edit = Sorry for the semi side track of the intial topic...

Yeah sorry about that Skinny. It was not my intial intention.

skinny
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I am happy to hear that for the most part I can help.
I did not ask for money, or favors in return....
Except of course for the standing offer for a nice, high paying cushy job, once your companies are big and successful.

You guys will be the future of this. The secret is to know what to do when you get there.

Don't hand out info to those who will use it for a payday at OUR expense.
Do identify who is like you, and has the goals of a skateboarder, and not a business man. Help this guy out, if you can.

Pay it forward. Stay in touch. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next