SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  SKATEBOARD/PARK ADVOCACY  »  Lower paxton township skatepark(Hershey/Harrisburg area) PA
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Lower paxton township skatepark(Hershey/Harrisburg area) PA

joebruiser
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote

off of rt 22[/img]

Last edited by joebruiser on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
teamsquaw
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Do you have any other info on the park? I read something about it over the summer and havce not heard anything until I saw your post. Do they have a designer or design yet? Any info would be appreciated. I am a 31 year old skater and have been dying for a good park in the area. Thanks
zachariah
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
teamsquaw wrote:
Do you have any other info on the park? I read something about it over the summer and havce not heard anything until I saw your post. Do they have a designer or design yet? Any info would be appreciated. I am a 31 year old skater and have been dying for a good park in the area. Thanks

Any affiliation with Squaw Valley? whats your team doggy?
teamsquaw
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Has nothing to do with Squaw Valley. It was my old skate crew from when I lived in Pittsburgh. We would use the squaw call to find eachother while skating.
joebruiser
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
next meeting
mar 17 2 pm @fishbone

team squaw> I'm in the dark about what going on I missed the first meeting because the interstate was shut down
teamsquaw
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
Joe -

Thanks for the info - I can't make it that day so if you find out anything post it here if you get the chance. Thanks
carveNgrind
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote
Unfortunetly I couldn't make it either. Please do post something here Joe so we can see what's up. Thanks.

Eric
joebruiser
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I stopped at funtastick for the scoop. Team Pain did the design it has a street and bowl area ( I did not see the design) The city put aside $250,000 and are hoping to raise another $250,000 through donations and fundraising. Timeline of two to three years.
HbgSkater
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
There is another meeting for the elite invited, tonight June 4th.
How anyone is supposed to know about this is beyond me...!

I don't know the time or location. I just remembered hearing about the date at the fundraiser. I was assured there would be an email reminder, but just like the lack of communication about the previous meetings there have been no emails.
Perhaps the few people now in charge want to do it all on their own.

You can't even find any relevant info about their non-profit "Central Penn Freedom Group", or the Lower Paxton George Park on the internet. They seem to be operating behind a veil of secrecy.

The design plans are already finalized. The land is secured. So why are they talking about building in 2009?

They are operating in a bubble. No one from Lower Paxton even bothered to check out or get involved in the Reid Menzer Memorial Park in York PA (30 minutes away).
As usual, the future of skateboarding isn't looking good in the Harrisburg area.
joebruiser
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
Lower Paxton Township

Skatepark

Project Narrative

- November 5, 2007 -

The Board of Supervisors of Lower Paxton Township has proposed construction of a skatepark within Thomas B. George, Jr. Park. The Supervisors desire to construct a 15,000 square foot outdoor court area at an estimated cost of $550,000, to be used by skateboarders from the south central Pennsylvania region.

A skatepark is a purpose-built recreational environment for skateboarders and aggressive skaters to ride and develop their sport and technique. Skateparks may contain half-pipes , quarter pipes , handrails , trick boxes , vertical ramps , pyramids, banked ramps, full pipes, stairs , and any number of other trick-oriented objects. Concrete skateparks are now the industry standard, as opposed to parks with ramps and obstacles made of wood frames and plywood. Concrete facilities require few repairs and little maintenance, while providing a surface that is far more conducive to skateboarding.

Skateparks are a relatively new recreational venue, first emerging in Florida and California in the 1970's. There are no true skateparks in the greater Harrisburg area, although there are a significant number of individuals, mostly teenage males, who are active in the sport and interested in the Township's proposed facility. These interested skateboarders, along with other interested teens and their parents, have formed The Freedom Group to participate in the design, development, and funding of a skatepark in Lower Paxton Township . It is the Township's hope that The Freedom Group will be able to raise a significant portion (approximately $250,000) of the funds necessary for development of a skatepark.

Lower Paxton Township has investigated a "design/build" process for development of its proposed skatepark. Such a process is characteristic of nearly all of the best skateparks in existence today. The design/build process makes sure that skatepark features are harmonious and rideable, allowing skateboarders to create endless lines to ride among the many elements within the facility. The Township has obtained a proposal from Team Pain, an internationally recognized skatepark design/build company, to undertake this design/build process at an estimated cost of $50,000. Team Pain has submitted schematic concept plans that can be viewed via the following links.

Lower Paxton Township expects that a skatepark in Thomas B. George, Jr. Park will become a destination location, attracting skateboarders and their families to our community. These individuals will not only utilize George Park facilities, they will also patronize local businesses, enhancing the economic viability of the Township and Dauphin County .

Lower Paxton Township also expects that a skatepark in Thomas B. George, Jr. Park will benefit business owners who, at times are in conflict with skateboarders that use private parking lots to practice their sport. A well-designed, public skatepark, serving the local community, will provide a far more desirable alternative to skateboarders then their current practice of skateboarding on private property.

http://www.lowerpaxton-pa.gov/Parks/documents/skatepark1.pdf

http://www.skatecentralpa.com/

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next