SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  The Downhill Slide
Page 1 of 6    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The Downhill Slide

KidsonWheels
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
what are the direct influences and causes of the downhill slide?
I understand the necessity
I am asking for

Its history and progression

where do check slides, laybacks and 360 slides come from?

where these moves at one time used in professional downhill?
some of the sickest downhill footage was the starts of the PnP flicks
with Stacy n friends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ssTC...lated&search=

who is he skating with?

who has more killer old downhill footage?

where can I learn more?

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
Coleman slide. Originated by Coleman.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
Please!!

More information

the Birth

the History

those who threw em best

Footage to hunt down

then and now

there is very little info on the slide

Early downhill racing

early thanes

LAybacks

360's

Its not like I am asking about Muska

somebody seen it start

and I know a few of you do Hills

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 Posts: 606 Location: 1/2 way between Dogtown and the Badlands
KidsonWheels wrote:
where do check slides, laybacks and 360 slides come from?

Cliff Coleman developed the technique as a method of skating the hills around Berkeley back in the 70s. It was the best method of controlling speed on steep, winding roads...

Quote:
who has more killer old downhill footage?

Aside from the early Powell videos, I haven't really seen much. But there is a lot of recent footage. Most longboard companies have sliding in their videos, as well as footage on their sites.Probably the best one I've seen is Gravity's "Flow". Here's Sergio Yuppie's (the Rodney Mullen of sliding) part in "Flow" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yluk7AAb6Bo

Quote:
where can I learn more?

Check these sites:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com...slide-900-16.html

http://www.ncdsa.com/68/Cliff-Coleman...ng-and-Safety.htm

http://www.faltownskateboards.com/fal...ds_slideskool.asp

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
Cool

So Coleman is the originator

where did Stacy learn it?

who are the guys skating with peralta in the vid?

was it used in any type of downhill events?

What about Frisco and its sick hills?

I know its kinda like asking about the ollie but
I am just really curious about the progression of Downhill slides

Manufacturers were making gloves for it

I even seen prototype fiberglass looking hand discs

there is alot more to this story

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
KidsonWheels wrote:
where can I learn more?

You might want to read the book "Scarred for Life" by Keith Hamm. It has a whole chapter on Coleman.

http://www.amazon.com/Scarred-Life-El...ers/dp/0811840530
msk
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 Posts: 606 Location: 1/2 way between Dogtown and the Badlands
KidsonWheels wrote:
Cool

This is from an interview from about 6 years ago:

Cliff: At Powell-Peralta, I met Stacy Peralta, when I did a Columbia Pictures television pilot. They had me do the downhill and Stacy did the studio work. Stacy couldn�t get down those steep hills in San Francisco. So one time I went down to look for him at Powell-Peralta. He was out, but a couple of his employees were there, Chris Iverson and Todd Hastings. Chris was working as the head of R & D, while Todd was the team manager for many years. I told them about the slides and how to make the gloves; and I had told many people this, but few had actually done it. Well these guys made the gloves that night, and taught themselves how to slide the next morning just from the verbal description. We met at this road they told us about, and since they knew how to slide, we just did slides the rest of the day. But the road wasn�t very exciting. So we started looking for a better hill, and as we looked across the valley at the Montecido Hills, I could see this windy road named Park Lane. I told them, � That�s the kind of road we like to ride on.� We couldn�t tell if it was paved or not, cause we were so far away from it. When we checked it out, we found it was an access road to a new home development. There was a cable across the road, and our skate key fit it perfectly. We would let ourselves in, than lock it back up to ensure no one would come up. So we skated there, and that was depicted in the Powell-Peralta Bones Brigade video, �Future Primative.� That�s Park Lane, and the two riders are Chris Iverson and Rich Dunlop. There were a couple of other skaters who I taught, Rich Dunop was from Boston, and was featured in both �Gleaming the Cube� and �Thrashin.� He had a good friend named Jim Kluggish, who is now my best friend and still skates up here. Recently, Jim and I did some video work for the Gravity Skateboard Company. Now back to the two I taught at Powell-Peralta, Chris and Todd. I told them that I would only teach them if they taught Stacy. They taught him, and it was Stacy, Chris, and Todd who than went on to appear in the Bones Brigade �Video Show.� Later on, I received a phone call from Stacy. He told me it was the most fun he ever had on a skateboard; and for a guy who was voted #1 in the reader�s pole in 1979 as the best all around skater, that was really flattering. Now, I also taught John Hutson to slide many years after his competitive days, and he loved it and had a lot of fun with it. Oh, and another thing about Powell-Peralta. After I met them, Chris would shape me boards. So I told him I wanted a double kick with each end identical. That way if you slide fakie, either end could be the front of the board. Chris than put a blank of my design in the R & D room at Powell-Peralta. It was this board that Tony Hawk chose as his last signature model before leaving to start his own company. To this day, I don�t know if Tony is aware of it, but I do know that Tony Hawk is an outstanding individual. He has never seemed to have an ego and as great as he is, he always kept his head about him. This was really flattering to me, to have this guy who I wish I could be 1% as good as, riding a board I designed. So I am very thrilled about that, it is another one of the thrilling things in my history.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Interesting question.

I've been working on a few research projects over the last year. One of them concerns the history of the longboard [skateboard]. One thing that I found in my research is that, many times in skate history, similar events happen in different places, at almost the same time. Other times, obscure people make huge advances and discoveries, only to pursue them fway outside of the limelight..... never to get credit for them until far, far later (when bastards like me begin asking tough questions!). Indeed, there are lots and lots of dead ends, and red herrings, throughout the history of skateboarding.

The only way to truly find out? Begin with today's generation of sliders; ask them who their immediate influences were; then, go to THOSE guys, and ask them the same question..... and, keep working backward until you get to some single guy, somewhere, that all roads lead to.

You would not believe the shit I've learned and/or uncovered, using this simple technique....................!!! Investigative reporting kicks ass!

Does Coleman ever hang out at the boards here....? I know he has a page at ncdsa.com....... maybe, ask him there?
MrCokesNSmokes
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:20 am Reply with quote
msk wrote:
KidsonWheels wrote:
Cool

This is from an interview from about 6 years ago:

Cliff: At Powell-Peralta, I met Stacy Peralta, when I did a Columbia Pictures television pilot. They had me do the downhill and Stacy did the studio work. Stacy couldn�t get down those steep hills in San Francisco. So one time I went down to look for him at Powell-Peralta. He was out, but a couple of his employees were there, Chris Iverson and Todd Hastings. Chris was working as the head of R & D, while Todd was the team manager for many years. I told them about the slides and how to make the gloves; and I had told many people this, but few had actually done it. Well these guys made the gloves that night, and taught themselves how to slide the next morning just from the verbal description. We met at this road they told us about, and since they knew how to slide, we just did slides the rest of the day. But the road wasn�t very exciting. So we started looking for a better hill, and as we looked across the valley at the Montecido Hills, I could see this windy road named Park Lane. I told them, � That�s the kind of road we like to ride on.� We couldn�t tell if it was paved or not, cause we were so far away from it. When we checked it out, we found it was an access road to a new home development. There was a cable across the road, and our skate key fit it perfectly. We would let ourselves in, than lock it back up to ensure no one would come up. So we skated there, and that was depicted in the Powell-Peralta Bones Brigade video, �Future Primative.� That�s Park Lane, and the two riders are Chris Iverson and Rich Dunlop. There were a couple of other skaters who I taught, Rich Dunop was from Boston, and was featured in both �Gleaming the Cube� and �Thrashin.� He had a good friend named Jim Kluggish, who is now my best friend and still skates up here. Recently, Jim and I did some video work for the Gravity Skateboard Company. Now back to the two I taught at Powell-Peralta, Chris and Todd. I told them that I would only teach them if they taught Stacy. They taught him, and it was Stacy, Chris, and Todd who than went on to appear in the Bones Brigade �Video Show.� Later on, I received a phone call from Stacy. He told me it was the most fun he ever had on a skateboard; and for a guy who was voted #1 in the reader�s pole in 1979 as the best all around skater, that was really flattering. Now, I also taught John Hutson to slide many years after his competitive days, and he loved it and had a lot of fun with it. Oh, and another thing about Powell-Peralta. After I met them, Chris would shape me boards. So I told him I wanted a double kick with each end identical. That way if you slide fakie, either end could be the front of the board. Chris than put a blank of my design in the R & D room at Powell-Peralta. It was this board that Tony Hawk chose as his last signature model before leaving to start his own company. To this day, I don�t know if Tony is aware of it, but I do know that Tony Hawk is an outstanding individual. He has never seemed to have an ego and as great as he is, he always kept his head about him. This was really flattering to me, to have this guy who I wish I could be 1% as good as, riding a board I designed. So I am very thrilled about that, it is another one of the thrilling things in my history.

Damn, MSK! You beat me.........!

Question: I wonder who influenced Coleman..............?

I was just thinking, y'know what a Coleman slide looks like? A sliding Bert. Like, the board AND your hands are sliding.

Maybe that's the root of this whole shebang? Berts going downhill.....?
Area 51
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Mar 2005 Posts: 840 Location: Incredibly distant star
Check out Chris Dahl's slide technique:

You may go to YouTube to view the video by clicking below...
YouTube Video

Doesn't even look like sliding, it's as if he's got shopping cart wheels on his deck

Page 1 of 6    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next