SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  Inclusiveness - letter to Thrasher editor
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Inclusiveness - letter to Thrasher editor

slob-air
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63452 Location: S&B HQ
kirb-slider wrote:
i know this was old and digging up the past.

but realistically, thrasher is good for the kids now. it is great as motivation and a tool for inspiration.

imagine some kid growing up on the east coast, ripping the pages out of his new thrasher and sticking them to his walls. laying on his bed mimicking backside airs, judos, and boneless ones. looking up at the "stars" on his walls wondering what it would be like to skate like or with tommy hawk, cabbie, phillips, or even mike mcgillicutty.
now, tell me, what kid wants to open up a thrasher and stick pages on his wall of us 35+, fat, old, farts doing our best kickturns, struggling to spark a grind without ending up with either hernias or hemorrhoids.
history, homage, versatility, or not. if i were that kid again, i certainly wouldn't. i would want to see the now shit. happens now, i'm in.

Kirby - There was a time when Thrasher ruled. Showed all facets of skateboarding and ran images and stories from all over the world. It showed us the hot up and comers, the hottest pros, new tricks and paid homage to the legends—it was what a skateboard magazine should be.

And they nailed it in their first issue: Combi bowl contest, Street, downhill racing, pipe blasting, pools and ramps—and park shots from out East.

The next issue added slide, longboarding, freestyle... and a good mix of up and comers, ams, pros and legends. Even had Tater in there.

Every issue was epic back then.

But today's Thrasher has sadly lost its way.

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
thrasher ruled when it stood up against action now. transworld easily rivaled all that was thrasher and provided a different look to the "hardcore" edge that thrasher embodied as well.

thrasher ruled yesteryear and today as well. as do many of the others.

thrasher has been and always will be very biased. that is their right to be so. just as other magazines rights to choose what they wish to cover or advertise.

of course, i would now like to see a more well rounded magazine myself but, in my eyes, it's the up and comers that are analyzing the magazine now. again, you don't see us old grumps dreaming to be the next top pro killing ourselves for a package of wood and wheels.

thrasher in the first and second issues covered those events and styles of skateboarding because that is what skateboarding had to offer. those were new aspects happening.
growing up in the late 80's, i would have been bummed to see the old timers rolling down hills, powersliding. i wanted to see the hits, the airs, the grinds, and the slides. and that is what they provide for us today. current documentation of the now. just like in the 90's it was big pants/small wheels and that was all you got. in the 80's, it was vert and pools. now, i see somewhat of a mixed bag.

granted, i'm not stoked on the style or the current look of skateboarding. that's only my opinion and i am in no position to be shaping the look or style of skateboarding.

i read through thrasher now only for the photos, art, and layout. sometimes, more often than not, skimming it so fast, it all blurs together like a 200 frame, 45 second sequence. only really stopping for the occasional, "wow, that's a cool photo" pause and then it's back on the shelf at books-a-million.

no single magazine can cater to all of our skateboarding needs. just be glad that we have multiple to choose from.

@ adam:

i can feel you. the kids heckle what they don't know or understand. granted send them down 17th street with some krytos and some loosie goosies and see what they come up with.
the magazine heckling on the other hand. i think it is just a frame of mind of never getting old and staying valid. the peter pan syndrome. look at the phelper, he's old as dirt.

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
jacbli76
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
kirb-slider wrote:

no single magazine can cater to all of our skateboarding needs. just be glad that we have multiple to choose from.

could not have been said better
kirb-slider
Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote

~nostalgia is the wave of the future~
miss_understood
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:

Bahahahahaha....bahahaha............classic.

DjNedKnowledge
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, Thrasher really blew up about a year back. I was abroad, and I saw kids all over the world wearing thrasher tees. They must have made a fortune off of tee sales, and there were literally millions of knock offs being sold in street markets all over Malaysia etc.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63452 Location: S&B HQ
I see them everywhere now, hoodies, T's, chick clothes, you name it. 99% of those wearing don't skate, never did, and probably have never picked up the mag. Same shit as what happened with Indy that led to the S&B generated "I'm a kook" shirts and stickers that became legend. Salba wearing one and running into Fausto: Priceless!

Vans shirts are becoming plague as well with non skaters/non vans wearers.

There's actually quite a bit of skate related softgood brands that non-skaters are eating up.

Are we cool now?

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3