SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Park rules
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Park rules

effeuelle
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, I am writing a document about the opening of the first big indoor skatepark in Italy. Actually we have a lot of free outdoor concrete and some small indoor parks but no one very competitive with the others reality in Europe and USA.

Investors and authorizations are not a problem but i need to write a presentation for the investors to explain how the park will work and i need some help.

I would like to know how the Americans parks work, especially the private indoors.

Theres someone how can explain me some general rules about sessions schedule, use of protections, prices, bmx and skate hours (no rollerblades) and other stuff? I promise hospitality for the park opening

Also i need to sketch an approximate plan for the constructors, just to let they understand what we want and what we need.....so i've already draw a rough map but i need approximate infos about the usual dimension to understand if we have overdo in sizes etc etc.
Vert structures are unusual in our country so we are not so experts about it.

I'm choosy i know but we have problems to find free resource online, especially about parks prices and rules. I've found a lot of parks reviews but for free parks only...

Please write me a private message or directly to my personal email account.

Thanks in advance.
Slim
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
PM sent:

The best place for this kind of information is http://www.skatersforpublicskateparks.org

Best of luck,

Slim

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
I've found tons of infos about the process to open public concrete skateparks but it's really hard to find informations about privates.

I presume how the large amount of public skatepark in the USA make difficult the life of private parks, right? It's really different here..

anyway we are working hard on the project, i hope to let you all see some results

ciao
PlayGod
Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Unfortunately, many private indoor parks in the U.S. fail. Common reasons:
  1. owners cannot afford the rent after paying to build the park.
  2. landlords realize how difficult it would be for the owner to move the skatepark, so they raise the rent
  3. insurance rates go up because of a few nuisance lawsuits against the owner and/or landlord
  4. skaters can't afford to pay session or membership fees.
  5. owners don't maintain the ramps and obstacles because they are strapped for cash due to the reasons above.

I like indoor parks (when it's rainy or too hot), but I really do not think they are a profitable business investment. They do work out well if they have a mission to serve skateboarders instead of shareholders.

If you search this forum, you will find better discussions about private indoor parks than at SPS, which is focused on open-access public facilities. I think private facilities do better in the U.S. in extreme climates (too hot, too cold, or too wet to skate for much of the year).

Here are a few large, indoor private parks that have managed to stay open. I would suggest you seek them out and ask questions of the owners/managers:
  • Skatepark of Tampa (FL)
  • Skatepark of Austin (TX)
  • Ollies (Florence, KY)
  • Modern Skatepark (Grand Rapids, MI)
  • Sixth Avenue (Nashville, TN)
  • Department of Skateboarding (Portland, OR)

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
My local indoor park (skater's edge in Taunton, MA) has been around for a few years and is still doing very well.

-they have their own skate shop on the premises, which helps profits.

-Sessions are 3 hours--weekdays (summer 12-3) 3-6,6-9, Fridays have a 9-12 session for bikes, weekends sat: 9-12, 12-3, 3-6, 6-9 sun: 12-3, 3-6, private rentals 6-9

Weekdays are $10 per session, weekends are $15

There are 2 "bike only" sessions, the rest are a mix of boards, blades and bikes.

Helmets are required. No other pad requirements.

You are forced to sign a waiver to skate--that waiver is kept on file.
effeuelle
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
thanks guys. We are working hard.

I hope to tell you all some good news soon
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
A trend I've noticed is that parks offer annual "memberships". The membership gives you a discount to the per session fee. Seems like a good way for a business to secure some $$$ up front and give them an idea of annual projected sales. Memberships are typically $75.00 and get you around $5.00 off per session. Personally it's not enough of a financial incentive for me to "join" as I don't have the time but several people do take advantage of the reduced per session advantage.

For usage I typically see roller blades being allow and bikes are restricted to both certain times and certain areas(i.e. not in the bowl or not on the pool coping in the bowl).
grotonskater
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Sep 2006 Posts: 643 Location: in your wives/daughters' room...
[quote="gamby"]My local indoor park (skater's edge in Taunton, MA) has been around for a few years and is still doing very well.
quote]

yea, but thats when you charge 20 bucks to skate...
ridiculous.

Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="grotonskater"]
gamby wrote:
My local indoor park (skater's edge in Taunton, MA) has been around for a few years and is still doing very well.
quote]

yea, but thats when you charge 20 bucks to skate...
ridiculous.

Um, not really.

$10 weekdays, $15 weekends.

I'll pay that to skate in a good environment. Public parks are usually so jammed you can't get a complete run in without running into someone.

Last edited by gamby on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
grotonskater
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Sep 2006 Posts: 643 Location: in your wives/daughters' room...
i feel its more that way at taunton than groton.
little kids in giant shirts everywhere!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next