SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Sound Deadening/ Wood mini?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Sound Deadening/ Wood mini?

christmas
Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on materials to use/ how to. Pretty much have decided to fill coping with cement to quiet it down. Not sure what to use on transitions (carpeting, cork, spray foam sealer, etc...) Anybody have any experience with this?

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
A ramp is like a bigass speaker cabinet. Baffle and Deaden. Insulation, carpet, foam, whatever to baffle the waves and deaden the echo .

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Mattresses do a good job of quieting a ramp. Lots of junk ones available too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
konarider
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2005 Posts: 148 Location: jacksonvill, florida
I bagged up all the leaves out of the yard and stuffed 'em underneath, then nailed ply to the back........

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
if/when those leaves start to rot, your ramp may begin to give off a funky odor...
christmas
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I think I found a solution. Cousin owns import auto shop and has a whole room full of that grey foam packing material. Kind of has the same consistency as the stuff they sell at Guitar Center for studios. Now do you think that it matters if I actually fix (spray adhesive) the foam to the inside of the ramp or do you think that I could just pack the shit out o the transitions/flat and be good with that?

Let me give you an Idea of what kind of quiet I'm looking for. Bedroom of my condo is fairly large and have a surplus of wood from another ramp. I was thinking of building a 2' micro in the room that I can throw my mattress and box spring on when I need to sleep. Each floor of the condo building are built on 31/2' thick concrete slabs. The interior walls are insulated block. The only wall I share with a neighbor isn't in that room and she's eighty two, can't hear worth a damn, and like a grandmother to me. As long as I keep my sessions to the late morning and early afternoon I think I should be golden.

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Oct 2006 Posts: 1266 Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Well, I did build my ramp OUTSIDE, but I did some sound deadening anyway to cut down on neighbour annoyance. Put styrofoam insulation between the ribs on the back (mostly just jammed it in), then hung scrap carpet from the top down the underside of the transition with big staples, then put a back on. Putting the back on made the biggest difference really, and it still make quite enough noise ... but I think all of that helped. Ramps are noisy. Putting the back on the ramp also cut down on the smell of the cat piss oozing out of the junk carpet ... it was hell ripping that stuff up (oh yeah, I also put up the underlay with the carpet ... I was very thorough).
scabby
Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Another good method is to crank up the music on the boom box. Put in some Sabbath and turn it up. I have been on ramps where if a guy was grinding one side you couldn't here him from the other deck. Just make sure you neighbors like Sabbath.

Marc Corbett
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I came to this conclusion after a few months at Wanchese:
You can soundproof the ramp all you want but what actually makes the most noise is people skating. Hoots, cheers, "Yeah's", cussing from hard slams, board claps, .......................................
You know.............. SKATING
After that I gave up any attempt to soundproof the bowl. I just try to keep the crowd at a dull roar as much as I can.
kirksucks
Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
my friend had the sickest set up a few years back.. he built a mini in his front yard. he lives on a busy 4 lane road across from a refinery. the neighbors couldnt hear shit over the sound of traffic. it would draw hella heads because everyone would see it driving by.

there was some crazy sessions. wade speyer showed up a couple times.

so just dont have neighbors

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next