SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Dealing Direct with Brands...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Dealing Direct with Brands...

scabby
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Hey does anyone know the best approach to dealing direct with brands? I have been emailing some of them and some get back to you and others don't. So far I have been able to get close to High Grade, Dogtown, Madrid and a few others. Thanks, Scabby

brianzig
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
Most of these companies are hard enough to deal with. If you try to contact them via email, you won't be a priority. I've found the only way to really get in with some companies is repeated phone calls.
scabby
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah that is what I figured. Is it better to keep to some kind of agenda when talking to them? Like have some kind of script so you get your point across? I work full time so I am going to take a day off or two to make the calls and I am thinking about having a script or something to hammer them with. Any good talking points they like to hear? I am in the process of rehabbing a building and I know some of the vendors want pics of the shop ect. Scabby

DomitianX
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
A lot of them will want pics of the shop. Very few of the brands want to deal direct with web only shops. I had a hard time dealing with any of them until I opened the brick and mortar side.

I dont know if a script will help or not. Just calling them and seeing whats up seems to work the best.

Also find people you know that may know people on the inside. I got a few accounts when i was online only by knowing someone on the inside.

As with most stuff, its who you know, not what you know.

brianzig
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's definitely who you know. In my experience most calls are going to an operator first, just tell the operator you need a dealer app and would like to speak to the rep for your area. Give him/her your name and state. You'll be transfered and get voicemail for the rep for your region. If you are lucky the rep will call you back and give you the number for the local sales rep that covers your state. You then have to call them, usually leave a voicemail stating your name, the shop name, where you are located and a number to be called back.

This is the weeding out process. It may take a number of calls to the local rep to even get them to call you back. It just depends on how bad they want the business. I have some that I call like clockwork each week. LOL I know they are sick of hearing my voicemails, but by now I KNOW they know who I am. I'm on a mission to break 'em. Ha! They have to sick of me calling each week. But, the only way to get their product it to get past that local rep. They are the gate guard. Make sure to get the name of the regional or corporate rep that gives you the number of your local rep. This way you can be sure to name drop and say "name of rep" gave me your number. It may be the only name you have, and sometimes it might just work. It did work for me and one large national brand. His name got my foot in the door. Also, almost all reps will make sure you are x number of miles away from any existing accounts. They all have different standards for that.

Good luck, and don't give up. I definitely think it will take more than one day. Think of it as an ongoing process. You won't get them all at once. Oh, and be prepared for when you do get the account. You need to be ready to pony up some credit cards and be ready for placing the minimum orders that follow getting approved to buy.
scabby
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks Bros....this is what I suspected.

How much better is the pricing when you get the direct account open?

I vaguely remember dealing direct with a CA distributor and getting the same pricing as I did with my East Coast distributor.

Whats the point? I save on shipping by getting the product out East.

brianzig
Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
scabby wrote:
Thanks Bros....this is what I suspected.

How much better is the pricing when you get the direct account open?

I vaguely remember dealing direct with a CA distributor and getting the same pricing as I did with my East Coast distributor.

Whats the point? I save on shipping by getting the product out East.

You will save some money but how much differs and depends on each account. For example, a tshirt from a distributor might cost $10, but direct from the company, only $7. I've found that the discounts aren't as much with the hardgoods as they are with the soft. Its a big difference on the softgoods. The dollars add up quick when you are talking big orders. On the other hand, it's a lot easier to deal with and order from a distributor.
DomitianX
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I also find dealing with a "all in one" distro like Eastern or South Shore helps when you need a little of lots of items from different companies, but it sucks with softgoods. Most of the all in one distros only carry a small segment of softgoods compared to what the company themselves carries.

If I need a big order of Indys, Creature or SC boards, I will go direct to NHS. If I only need a couple sets of Indys, a couple label boards, some bearings, etc. I will go with Eastern or South Shore.

Pricing isnt that much different. Plus some distros give you free shipping with a certain dollar amount, but direct from companies usually dont.

auragreg
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
For me, being 2 years in, and still small, I find dealing with a Distributor to be much easier. I just don't do the big orders that would be worth working direct. Plus I can get many different brands from one place.

I have to work direct with snowboards and it's a pain. Many different invoices and terms and such.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
KidsonWheels
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
huh

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next