SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  STICKIES  »  We're back up, and there's some new stuff ***
Page 11 of 13    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

We're back up, and there's some new stuff ***

PlayGod
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
All of the bitchy issues (and constructive ideas) about the new layout have been addressed. Check it out and I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you have not checked it out in the last hour, you haven't seen the improvements.
TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
Ripper icon? I see a cease and desist letter on the way.....

Homer: "Wooo whooo! That sounds like a wager!"
slob-air
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63452 Location: S&B HQ
TEAM_PING_AMORONE wrote:

Good! I need rolling papers!!

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
An opinion: the index pages are difficult to scan. The post titles do not stand out as much as the author - either because the gold of the other items has more contrast against the dark gray background than the white of the post title, or maybe it's the little arrow thing and the little piece of paper icon that clutter it up (both totally unnecessary elements from a design usability standpoint imho). Or perhaps the author info and "go to page x" stuff could be indented like five spaces so that the most important information in that table cell, the post title, would be the left most item where the eye naturally goes? In other words, the heirarchy of info needs to be considered more in this layout. I don't know how much flexability you guys have with this package software though. Anyhoo... I'll probably adjust to it but so far I find it very hard to scan down the page and pick the posts I'd like to read.

Here's a clip of what I mean(i'm going to put it in quote tags to box it in a bit): does the post title stick out the most to you or does the other text?

Quote:

BTW: these index pages are still the only pages I've ever discovered on the internet that for some reason don't allow me to command/apple click the links and have them open in a new tab while I continue to scroll down and pick other posts to click on. It does launch the link in a new tab, but also changes the index tab/window to the linked page. I've never seen this before. None of the other pages on the skull and bones site (or anywhere else on the internet) do this: just the index pages in each topic and the results page from searches and the view posts since last visit page. It's tripping me out. Any ideas anyone?

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Slim wrote:
An opinion: the index pages are difficult to scan. The post titles do not stand out as much as the author - either because the gold of the other items has more contrast against the dark gray background than the white of the post title, or maybe it's the little arrow thing and the little piece of paper icon that clutter it up (both totally unnecessary elements from a design usability standpoint imho). Or perhaps the author info and "go to page x" stuff could be indented like five spaces so that the most important information in that table cell, the post title, would be the left most item where the eye naturally goes? In other words, the heirarchy of info needs to be considered more in this layout. I don't know how much flexability you guys have with this package software though. Anyhoo... I'll probably adjust to it but so far I find it very hard to scan down the page and pick the posts I'd like to read.

Here's a clip of what I mean(i'm going to put it in quote tags to box it in a bit): does the post title stick out the most to you or does the other text?

BTW: these index pages are still the only pages I've ever discovered on the internet that for some reason don't allow me to command/apple click the links and have them open in a new tab while I continue to scroll down and pick other posts to click on. It does launch the link in a new tab, but also changes the index tab/window to the linked page. I've never seen this before. None of the other pages on the skull and bones site (or anywhere else on the internet) do this: just the index pages in each topic and the results page from searches and the view posts since last visit page. It's tripping me out. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks, Slim, that's excellent feedback. I'll work on something to fix the readability.

The deal with the links is because the entire cell is set to
a) hilite on rollover
b) go to the main link in the cell on click

Therefore, you don't have to aim at the particular thread's title to click and go there -- you just click the cell. I like this because I usually go to the last post in the thread, and that linked icon is tiny on phpBB.

I suppose the cell link could interfere with the CTRL-click to make a new tab. I've tried it on Firefox and IE (PC), and it works for me on both... but not when I click on the cell... that opens it in the same window. This is because -- on the cell -- it's a JavaScript window call, not a normal hyperlink. Do you speak geek?
Slim
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Ah, javascript. I can dig it. That's pretty cool that you can click anywhere in the cell instead of having to aim for the text itself. Neato... I'm already getting pretty fast at right clicking and selecting open link in new tab and that doesn't alter the parent window/tab so it's all good. I was just curious why that oddity was happening on the index pages for me. Now I know. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
slob-air wrote:
TEAM_PING_AMORONE wrote:

Good! I need rolling papers!!

Nice.
walrusmiah
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the changes. I really like the way it looks and functions. Thanks for all the hard work to keep slack-asses like myself busy when I got nothing else to do.
curbdog
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Hey...The new changes are pretty sweet! And, me avatar works!

Nice job, everyone involved.

This board has definitely changed quite a bit over the years. All good.

Thanks guys.

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Aug 2004 Posts: 3316 Location: 2 hours from ANYTHING!
curbdog wrote:
Hey...The new changes are pretty sweet! And, me avatar works!

I smell an avatar about to be NUKED!

Page 11 of 13    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next