SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  How do you deal with your competition?
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

How do you deal with your competition?

gamby
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
brianzig wrote:

I'm not sure how it may help them, but they say they are a "Christian Skatepark" and have church there on Sundays. I hope they don't use it as a way to achieve non-profit status.

Disgusting/lame. Imagine a "Muslim skatepark"--laughable.

As for pay-to-skate parks--I have no problem with them--my regular park is pay. Great place--especially considering New England winters. It gets good traffic--at least for now.

Good luck w/ the business plan.
skateindex.com
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
A park in your town (free or other) will generate more interest in skating. As long as you establish yourself as part of the scene and create a positive vibe you will surely benefit from more people skating.

Likewise, why not get to know the people involved? Our shop team riders get in free to almost every park in town. We sponsor contests & send people there to skate and in return they send us customers. You said there was too much segregation in your skate scene in another thread, so why contribute to that by creating enemies?

Back to the free vs. pay park angle...You're a hero if you get the free park built. 2 parks...one dope shop...if you stay positive you can't lose.
skinny
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
bfg1971 wrote:
My advice, let your competition build an indoor for profit skatepark. It'll bleed them dry financially. If there was a profit to be made running skateparks don't you think that Grindline, Team Pain, and Dreamland would be building and owning their own parks? They'll be out of business in under five years.

This is correct.
Indoor parks don't last.
brianzig
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
skateindex.com wrote:
A park in your town (free or other) will generate more interest in skating. As long as you establish yourself as part of the scene and create a positive vibe you will surely benefit from more people skating.

Likewise, why not get to know the people involved? Our shop team riders get in free to almost every park in town. We sponsor contests & send people there to skate and in return they send us customers. You said there was too much segregation in your skate scene in another thread, so why contribute to that by creating enemies?

Back to the free vs. pay park angle...You're a hero if you get the free park built. 2 parks...one dope shop...if you stay positive you can't lose.

I took the positive route last week after my first post. I sent an email to the owner (got it off their site) welcoming them to the scene and offered a "virtual outstretched hand". Told them that just because we were competing shops didn't mean that we couldn't work together. I offered to help and told them I was leaving the response up to them.

It took awhile, but I received a call at the shop yesterday from the owner. We talked for about 30 minutes on various topics and he seemed pretty nice. Admittedly, he doesn't have any background in skating, his is background is with football and baseball. Built the other small park as a place for his kids to go skate. Wanted to move on to something bigger and plans on keeping this new park open until it can't cover the overhead. He didn't even know we were here, nor did he know there was a Pacsun at the outlet mall a mile away from his new park. Kind of clueless about the scene, but again, nice guy. He said he has no intention of trying to compete with us or to try and put us out of business(good thing cause I never would have let that happen). His park is to provide a place to skate, make a little money, and to preach to kids.

I feel much better now. I couldn't help but like the guy, he was pretty personable, a family man, not unlike me. But his lack of interest in skating (other than the business of it) will keep our shop in favor with the locals. They already complain that his first park has no flow. I hope that since I skate with them whenever I get the chance, spend a ton of time interacting with them online via Myspace, and hang with them when they come into the shop, they all know who I am and what I'm about.

He doesn't know when he will open but is thinking the park itself will be open sometime in December and the shop sometime later, so I should be fine with no competition for Christmas sales. Business plan has been tweaked, and that wasn't a bad thing. I made some changes and all for the better. Even when they get the shop going I don't think it will hurt us much. And yes, I do agree that even though it's a pay park it should still be good for the scene. I was always more concerned with the fact that they were going to be a competing shop in a very small town. But after talking with him, the shop sounds like it will be pretty basic.

I've turned my focus back to the free park. Sent off a ton of information to the head of Rec and Parks on Friday. I'm giving him a few days to take it all in. Also, my team went to a contest this weekend and all placed top 5 in their age groups while having a major blast(the first time any of them had competed). It's all good...all good.
DomitianX
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
There aren't too many of the Christian skate parks that make it. We have one here and they have had to move because they were years behind on their lease.

Most of the indoor parks have a hard time since they need to charge so much to keep the lights on and parents have a hard time paying all that money.

The big local indoor park here does well because they do tons of events. They hold tons of skate camps (every weekday during the summer and every school break day) so parents can use them for a day care, and they have all nighters, contests, etc.

They would have a hard time keeping the lights on if it wasn't for all the camps.

Plus they hooked up with the state fair and they make a bunch of money doing daily demos there, plus skate camps all around the various suburbs, mobile skate parks, etc. The day to day skating at the park is a small part of what keeps the lights on.

If you rely on the park itself and maybe a pro shop, you are going to have a hard time not charging a ton of money, and if you charge a lot of money, you will be turning quite a few people away.

I would keep doing like you are, pursue the free park in town, embrace the other park. If you can make the scene bigger by having more than one park, its only a benefit to you. Especially if you are actually a part of the scene, then the kids know the real deal and will gravitate towards that instead of supporting a place that really has no clue.

brianzig
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would keep doing like you are, pursue the free park in town, embrace the other park. If you can make the scene bigger by having more than one park, its only a benefit to you. Especially if you are actually a part of the scene, then the kids know the real deal and will gravitate towards that instead of supporting a place that really has no clue.

Yeah, I'm back to business as usual. I'm not sweating it anymore and will keep doing what I've been doing all along. Supporting the scene. I appreciate everyones comments and opinions. This is why I love this forum so much!

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2