SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  How do you deal with your competition?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

How do you deal with your competition?

brianzig
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote
One of my out of town competitors is starting a indoor park/shop in my town. I'm tweaking the business plan right now and making some changes to be proactive. They are scheduled to open in about a month and a half. One of the contractors who clued me in even let come in and take a look at everything(I even got some pics with my cell phone). Says he was told it was to be very hush, hush until they were ready to open. The thing is, I've been working with Dept of Parks and Rec to get a free park built in town. They have been supportive and even gave me budget of $145K. I'm hoping they won't back out now that there is going to be a huge indoor park.

How do you deal with your competition? What do you think I should do with the pics? Post 'em on my site letting the locals know or keep them and the park under wraps until they "surprise" open. My ego tells me to post them and expose the park on my terms since it's MY local scene, but the business side of me says to keep it a secret as long as possible. I'm trying not to freak out here. Any comments and advice appreiciated.
bfg1971
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote
My advice, let your competition build an indoor for profit skatepark. It'll bleed them dry financially. If there was a profit to be made running skateparks don't you think that Grindline, Team Pain, and Dreamland would be building and owning their own parks? They'll be out of business in under five years.
falba70
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
i cant belive u got the town to agree to give up some funds. im in charleston and with the exeption of the little free ( just a box and a quarter pipe)park the city of charleston, n. charleston and the town of summerville wont give up a dime. good luck
brianzig
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
falba70 wrote:
i cant belive u got the town to agree to give up some funds. im in charleston and with the exeption of the little free ( just a box and a quarter pipe)park the city of charleston, n. charleston and the town of summerville wont give up a dime. good luck

Yeah, got to love the "hospitality tax" that Cherokee Co. charges. At least they are putting the money to good use. The best part is that the park they designated to put the skatepark in is only two blocks from our shop. So yeah, I'm pushing hard for it. The biggest headache is having to keep talking them out of Skatewave. Skateboarding is a crime in Gaffney so it will be great for the kids in the area. The average income in our county is something like 24K. Not a whole lot of money being thrown around here. I can't see local kids paying $15 bucks for a day pass to skate.
falba70
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
good luck if u get going ill drive up ther and supprt it.
brianzig
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
bfg1971 wrote:
My advice, let your competition build an indoor for profit skatepark. It'll bleed them dry financially. If there was a profit to be made running skateparks don't you think that Grindline, Team Pain, and Dreamland would be building and owning their own parks? They'll be out of business in under five years.

I'm not sure how it may help them, but they say they are a "Christian Skatepark" and have church there on Sundays. I hope they don't use it as a way to achieve non-profit status.
falba70
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
that could be a problem , although i heard the irs has gotten strict on that.
we had a church here that built a small outdoor park that was free, but it didnt last long
brianzig
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
falba70 wrote:
good luck if u get going ill drive up ther and supprt it.

Cool, I'll keep you posted on the progress. My plan is to have something built by spring. I'm just hoping the County cooperates.
bfg1971
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
brianzig wrote:
bfg1971 wrote:

I'm not sure how it may help them, but they say they are a "Christian Skatepark" and have church there on Sundays. I hope they don't use it as a way to achieve non-profit status.

A) That's going to turn off a lot of skaters right there unless it's an absolutely amazing park.
B) Unless they are getting free rent, utilities, and donated materials the operating costs alone will put them in the red.

If they're going to have an on site shop, make sure you go in there and check it out periodically to make sure that you offer things that they don't.

If they are going to shield the park from the tax man by saying that it is non-profit, see point A
auragreg
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
One thing to do ... get in with as many distributors/brands as you can. If they do what most do, they won't open another account with a certain distance from you. That should lock in key brands.

on the other topic ... What is it with churches starting skate parks? I mean, I think it's cool that they want to help kids. But when you offer that they can get in free if they attend a youth group ... then it's kinda obvious what their intenions are. And I don't agree with that. Esepcially if their parents don't know.

I know these dudes who are trying to open a shop kinda close to mine. They claim to be christian and talk all about God on their Myspace. Yet they show up to a fundraiser that I was running to get money for a free local skatepark, and they didnt even offer to help. They just passed out flyers for their shop (which isnt even open).

What kind of jerk shows up to a fundraiser to drum up business?!?! All the kids pretty much told em where to go.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next