SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Pricing inventory
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Pricing inventory

brianzig
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
What's up everyone? Our shop is in the final stages of opening and we are doing our pricing. I was wondering (as a point of reference to make sure we are in line) what some of your prices are? I know that every market is different and I will take that into consideration, but I'm just really curious to see what the rest of you are doing. I've been to our local competition (30 miles north and another 30 miles south of us) and have checked them out, but they have had zero competition and everything is flat pricing. For example, all hoodies $59.99, all t's 19.99, all wheels $34.99 or 27.99, all trucks 49.99, all decks 44.99, blanks $26. Like I said, we are just trying to get a feel for what you are doing. I'm not sure I like the idea of flat pricing and prefer to just do the normal GP 50% and price everything individually. They are not using a POS System(we are) and that is why I think they are doing the flat prices (easier to remember and ring up maybe?) Not really sure. Anyway...thoughts?
Slim
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Quote:
all hoodies $59.99, all t's 19.99, all wheels $34.99 or 27.99, all trucks 49.99, all decks 44.99,

Hoodies more expensive than decks? Trucks more expensive than decks?

Well, here's some pricing from one of the only shops I go to. DLX in San Francisco. Surely their overhead is three times yours in SC. I'm sure their retail prices are kept low because they are their own distributor and in some cases manufacturer. But if their prices were any higher, we'd just buy stuff online. I would think that'd be one of your concerns as well.

Trucks $33.50 (indy 149s I bought recently)
Pro Decks $40
Tshirts $12 (made in usa)
Hoodies probably $30
brianzig
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But if their prices were any higher, we'd just buy stuff online. I would think that'd be one of your concerns as well.

Yeah, that's one of our biggest concerns. We have been using the CCS Catalog as a point of reference for just about everything since every kid that I know usually has one on hand. Here is what we are thinking for prices; let me know if they seem out of line:

Decks 44.99 pro and 26 blank to be competitive
T-shirts 18.99 (1), 16.99 (2), 14.99 for three or more
Hoodies - 34.99 - 54.99 depending on hoodie (priced according to cost)
Hats - 19.99 - 24.99
Wheels priced according to cost - 19.99 (blanks) to 39.99
Trucks - P.P. Cores @ 24.99 per set, the rest anywhere from 29.99 - 44.99 per set depending on cost.

We don't plan on carrying jeans...to hard to compete with the Old Navys and Gaps we have in the area.
Herosk8
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I would carry jeans, where are they goin to get the krew, fallen, volcom jeans? Those prices look pretty good. thats about what the shops here sell stuff for.

josh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
auragreg
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
brianzig wrote:
Yeah, that's one of our biggest concerns. We have been using the CCS Catalog as a point of reference .

Honestly, I dont think that's a good idea. You'll be looking at 10 - 20% markups. Not very much .... You have to remember that you are a brick and mortor shop. You have different costs to pay than a HUGE internet gig. You offer one-on-one service. Plus little extras that the web guys can't.

Let the kids know that. Where else will they go if they need 1 truck bolt (which you'll probably give them for free)? Where else can they hang and watch skate DVD's? Once they realize that they can get something from you - who supports your local scene - and get it TODAY - most kids will keep coming back.

It is almost impossible for a brick shop to compete with web ones. Set your own pricing and tweak it as need be.

Around here, Pro decks go for around $50-$55 (with free grip). Shop decks for around $30-$35 (with free grip).

Clothes are all over the place. normally a 40%-50% markup.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
brianzig
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would carry jeans, where are they goin to get the krew, fallen, volcom jeans? Those prices look pretty good. thats about what the shops here sell stuff for.

I failed to mention that we have a PacSun Outlet in our town (We have Prime Outlet mall here). Right now we aren't going to try and compete with them on jeans at this time. What we have been doing with our clothes and shoes is to try and fill the gap and carry some of what they don't. We carry a lot of youth size stuff (they don't) and we have a pretty good relationship with the employees there since a few of them skate so it's easy to keep tabs on what's selling with them. The've been unable to move a lot of jeans in our market until they are marked down. Now, by PacSun's standard, I'd probably still be happy with that $ amount of sales but for now I'm holding.

Quote:
Honestly, I dont think that's a good idea. You'll be looking at 10 - 20% markups. Not very much .... You have to remember that you are a brick and mortor shop. You have different costs to pay than a HUGE internet gig. You offer one-on-one service. Plus little extras that the web guys can't.

I think I mislead with my earlier statement. We are using them as a reference, but not following their pricing exactly. We take a look at their prices and use it as a starting point. On most items we have been setting the prices a few dollars more depending on cost to keep the margins up. Factor in shipping and their prices are about the same as ours. Most of our margins run in the 35-50% range. With our decks at 44.99 + at least $5 for basic grip puts our wood prices about the same as yours. Cheap rent helps us as well. 2000sq ft for $500 a month in a main st setting right across from the "free" parking lot. We are easier to get into than the mall. Park your car, walk across the street and in our front door.

I really do appreciate the advice. This is what I come in here for. To learn from others that have been doing this for a lot longer than I. I owe you a virtual beer. LOL
auragreg
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote
$500 a month?!?! I wish I was that lucky.

Have you found it's really hard to find youth size stuff?

brianzig
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote
auragreg wrote:
$500 a month?!?! I wish I was that lucky.

Have you found it's really hard to find youth size stuff?

Yeah, we lucked into the $500 a month property. I wasn't even looking at it, I called the company about another space (twice as much) and they mentioned they had the tenant leaving another space that would be perfect for a skate shop. They weren't kidding. Once they mentioned the rent I was sold. I really did luck out, the owners are really cool. He even had a skate shop in the 70's.

Youth clothing is very hard to find. We tend to buy up some of everything our distribs have. I think it's highly underrated and it's a niche that we are trying to fill. Look at World Industries, they let their pro's go and are going with a roster of younger ams. Filling that niche of elementary age skaters.
auragreg
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
yep- I don't understand why more companies havent tried to give the younger kids some gear! It's the perfect age where kids start skating.

I've found some distributors have zero, mystery spitfire and world. But that's about it for youth sizes.

MileHighSkates
Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
Typical hardgood margin will be 30%. Try to start there and move up/down as needed.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next