SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Marketing your small skateboarding company.
Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Marketing your small skateboarding company.

destroyeverything
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:49 am Reply with quote
Hey Oldschool thanks for the info, one more question: any idea how much distributors usually wholesale "name brand" decks to shops?

Thanks
oldskoolrulz
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:48 pm Reply with quote
thanks for putting up the correct website ditch...

in regards to wholesale on name brands, ranges anywhere from $27-$37, need to add shipping in there also...
LongBoardRider
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Let me give you my insight on what sells decks!!

Videos, Videos, Videos.
If Girl or any other player comes out with a smokin video with kids throwing down some sik shit, you cant keep their decks in stock.

You want local skate shops to carry your decks?
Sponsor some local riders (not scrubs) that can lay down the vibe, put together some excellent footage and have the local shops run it in store.
Its about relationships. If you sponsor a kid working in the local shop, he pushes your decks. Get the manufacturer you get your wood from to help you out a little. hell when I was getting started my rep would give me a couple blanks to help the cause. A good rep is worth his weight in gold. Have him co-sponsor events with you. If he wont do it you are with the wrong guy. You have to spend quality face time with the shop owners and managers.
Don't be a pest, but be persistant. Be a business man. Give them quality, a good price, do your homework and sponsor select riders that work in the local shops and you will sell decks.
I guarantee it.

Later SK8'r
SSSboardco.
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:24 am Reply with quote
This is a great forum Im so glad I came across it. Im new in the bizz almost a year only had a website up for a few months. As for local exposure of my brand most locals have heard of it, especially in the high schools. Im faced with a bit of a different situation, im airbrushing each deck and doing some customs.
Im having a hard time pricing them as for shops cause of the labour involved. I posted a few pics http://www.geocities.com/sssboard_co/temp.html

Any advise im thinking of coming up with some designs and getting them heat transfered, any one know if this is full color process including gradients.

thanks alot
everyone hear rocks finally a real skate forum

[ This Message was edited by: SSSboardco. on 2003-11-18 04:25 ]
-ZED-
Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:40 pm Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: -ZED- on 2004-02-18 01:16 ]
altomic
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:28 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Quote:

On 2003-09-05 21:09, LongBoardRider wrote:
Let me give you my insight on what sells decks!!

Videos, Videos, Videos.
If Girl or any other player comes out with a smokin video with kids throwing down some sik shit, you cant keep their decks in stock.

You want local skate shops to carry your decks?
Sponsor some local riders (not scrubs) that can lay down the vibe, put together some excellent footage and have the local shops run it in store.
Its about relationships. If you sponsor a kid working in the local shop, he pushes your decks. Get the manufacturer you get your wood from to help you out a little. hell when I was getting started my rep would give me a couple blanks to help the cause. A good rep is worth his weight in gold. Have him co-sponsor events with you. If he wont do it you are with the wrong guy. You have to spend quality face time with the shop owners and managers.
Don't be a pest, but be persistant. Be a business man. Give them quality, a good price, do your homework and sponsor select riders that work in the local shops and you will sell decks.
I guarantee it.

Later SK8'r

we are riding on the same bus.
boarderline
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Here is the most IMPORTANT advice i can offer anyone looking to sell any product. this comes from years of being a shop owner and some time behind the wholesale fence too.
#1-The GOLDEN RULE!- DO NOT DEVALUE YOUR PRODUCT! -boards are worth what the market will bear. you bring in your deck to joebob's skateshop -you sell them to him for $25 so that he will resell them at a price just shy of everybody elses board -thinking that once your brand takes off you will raise it back up to normal wholesale. In your meager attempt to "underprice" the competiton and boost sales, You will suffer! you have now created a board that will always be worth less than everybody elses. don't think you could ever raise that price to current wholesale prices. If you have a budget to advertise, then rather than eating it on your hard goods, do what the boys said and sponser a guy at the shop, or someone with a good local rep. (beware-talent does not equal a good sponsor)
#2) Don't flood your local area, by giving all your shit away or selling to your friends at less than cost. first of all you are wiping out sales for the shops and basically telling the whole local skating community that you basically pay nothing and it's worth nothing so you're giving it away. If i had to write the question i was asked the most by young skateboarder customers, it would probably be "do you pay for all this stuff or do they give it to you?" i swear to GOD, i got asked that all the time- guess they don't teach common sense in school. anyways don't expect your local shops to sport your stuff, if you're giving it away. and again even if you "sell" it at or below cost to your friends. well... it's a small community in the world of skaters and right there, that board you sold Billy at the skatepark for $20, has made little kids tell the shop owner how he's ripping them off when he has a $40 price tag on it, cause his friend just bought one for $20. you basically fucked yourself and your local shop. and we all know how word spreads round the skateparks.
#3-selling shit at the skatepark- not recommended if you plan on having a dealer in that town carry your stuff. you're taking away his sales and making yourself look greedy. if the guys a dick, then so be it, but find out first. we had a demo with a certain big name team once. we Paid them to come do the demo, then they brought a load of blems and shit, sold it to our kids for less than our cost and we lost many sales for the whole month. -and we fucking paid them to skate too.... bastards.
#4 shit, i know there was another one, but i got sidetracked.. i'll fill it in when i think of it.
anyways whenever you go to do anything dealing with your product always ask yourself "will this devalue my product?"
for example
"will getting shit wood from China devalue my product?" -YES!
boarderline
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:12 pm Reply with quote
oh and go buy "guerrilla marketing handbook" every major bookstore has it. best money you'll EVER spend. no kidding!!!
DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
livi-skater
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
I think I broke every rule. Hmm take your advice next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
livi-skater
Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:07 am Reply with quote
Oh and I had a look for that book and got 38 of them http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/s...2-1174797-9005416 . Any one you would recomend most?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 2 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next