SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  Tips for keeping your addiction secret.
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tips for keeping your addiction secret.

guntotingskatepunk
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I've seen a few posts here & there about how some of us are getting in or about to get into hot water w/ our wives due to the number of decks we are buying &/or the amount of money we are spending. I too found myself in this same situation. I was asked why there are so many boxes in our garbage can. So I came up w/ a method I can use to at least keep her in the dark about the true nature of this addition and decided to share it w/ my fellow addicts.

First, get your wife involved w/ your collection. Tell her the importance they are to you, describe the artists, what the decks mean to you, etc. That way she doesn't think they're just a bunch of skulls on the wall & she feels your passion. Who knows, she may get into it with you & will want to help you. I know once I did this, it was much easier to buy a pricey deck w/ her knowing.

Never display all of your decks. Let her think you rotate them. That way when you get a new one, you can hang it up w/out raising an eybrow. You can add to it when you make a token purchase w/ her knowledge.

Tell her you buy alot of re-issues. The old ones would be too much money. Doesn't matter if the nos you bought doesn't have a re-issue, she won't know.

Here is where we get sneaky. Get a box at the UPS store & DON"T TELL HER! This is real important. No boxes will EVER show up at your door for her to find. They go to the UPS store, are kept safe & out of the elements, you can pick them up at your convienience, take 'em out of the box at the store & stick them in your trunk, discard the box at the store. Next time she is out running errands you bring it in, hang it up w/ no problem.

Get a separte email address, Paypal account, credit card & ebay address & DON"T TELL HER! Have the credit card statement sent to the UPS store box. That way all order confirmations, bids, outbid notices, winning bid notices, etc go to another email address she doesn't know about.

For the secret Ebay address, do all your watching, bidding, save your favorite searches, etc. on this id. Make sure you do a few token watches & bids from your regular id that you both use. That way she thinks that this is the extent of your ebaying.

If your wife is very hands on w/ the checkbook & she knows where every dime goes, you gotta get creative. Figure out ways to skim money off the top. The best way to do this is to get cash back when you go shopping. Go to the grocery store for her, get $20, $30, $50 or what ever you feel like you can get away with. You get points for doing the shopping & you get secret skateboard money. After you get alot of this, deposit it into your Paypal accout for furture purchses. Maybe do this via money order or something. I'm not sure about this one since I really don't have this particular hurdle. Be sure to have your Paypal mailing address as your UPS store address. If you really want to get sneaky, open up another bank account w/ out her knowledge. Obviously have this statement go to UPS store.

Remember, if you get caught doing this you can probably be in deep, deep shit. be careful. Be sure not to tell ANYONE. Not your best friend, your co-workers, priest or ANYONE! Don't even mention it in S&B. The only way to get ratted out is because you opended your mouth. So never tell anyone ever!

Have a shredder. Shred everything that has to do w/ your unauthorized deck purchases. Most, if not all UPS stores will have them.

Cover all your tracks as soon as you can. If you access the secret email address from the same home computer she uses, clear your history everytime you access it. The best way is to log onto secret emails, Ebay id's, Paypal id's etc from a work compter. Only log onto secret stuff from home in emergency's, like if an auction ends at night when you're at home. A good way to avoid this though is to use a good auction sniper software.

This is some of the methods I use. I'm sure there are some good methods some of you guys use that aren't here. Please share w/ the group your methods if you so desire.
SkaterBonds
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Damn...

Here are the methoods I use-

- Make sure I pay my dues.

- Spend my money how I damn well please afterwords (as does she).

- Let Lauren in on all of it.

She wants a few as well.

I also let her open all of the packages. It's such a fun experience, and I miss it sometimes, but what the hell, why not? She digs 'em and she likes seeing what comes and what goes. It's tick satisfying to say the least.

I also have decks coming and going that I relay for dudes outside of the US. That may be a useful thing to allow/invest some time in for you "sneaky" folk. "Oh no, honey, it's not mine, it's (.....) from (.....) in the UK/AUS/EUR/Wherever... Yeah, I know! I was watching and it did go for quite a bit on ebay! "

If you want to be sneaky about purchasing a deck, no need to get another ebay username. If he/she watches ebay and sees the decks on a regular basis, get on here and ask someone to bid on it for you and transfer the funds to them.

Ultimately, above all, I would suggest just letting them in on the game. Why not? You could have 2 times as many decks if they like it just as much as you! Or, get a divorce and remarry someone who likes or at least respects skateboarding. Or don't remarry/get another girlfriend. More wallspace and just general space to live. Nobody to bug the shit out of you except for the occasional house pet and the piles of decks that you bang your toes on in the morning when you get out of bed.

Good luck!

Dave
PlayGod
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Words of warning: guntoker, you are gonna be drowning in diarrhea when your wife's divorce lawyer gets some claws in your ass. All of this will be dredged up and you'll be mercilessly buttfucked. Repent or pay.
SkaterBonds
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
missphitts
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
DAMN! I thought I was sneaky...
You got some skills Guntotingskatepunk.
I let her in on most of what I do but she'd freak if she saw all the $ spent on collecting in general.
Hey at least I don't spend 80 bucks on a haircut!
JCryan
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
Holy Shit!

You're just one step away from becoming the next Tyler Durden.
blondie
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Far better approach: HONESTY! Just tell her, hey, I work hard and this is what I'm into. You spend your fun money your way, I'll spend my fun money my way.

Saves you trouble down the line....
DILLINGERxCAPE
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
make her blind...

as long as for every 3-4G you spend on yourself you get her a diamond you are in the clear. expensive shoes and dinner work too.

I call it keeping the blinders on.
guntotingskatepunk
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quite frankly, since my original posting I like Dillingers the best. That is an excellent suggestion. I'm still keeping the UPS Store box, though.
Betty
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Don't think for one second you have the ladies fooled. you don't.

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next