SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  The Nike Reach Around
Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The Nike Reach Around

steve-g
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Good article.

Two points. I agree with retarded monkee. Whatever money Nike pay their Asian workforce is dictated by the market, not some evil corporate conspiracy. The worker and capitalist meet on equal terms in the market. The worker can withold his labour-power just as easily as the capitalist can refuse to buy it. This is the essence free labour.

Secondly, I agree with SimonPiss in that I'm disapointed that Nike has broken into 'our' scene, but not surprised. However much we might resist, skateboarding is corporate. Most towns have skate-fashion shops in which consumers can buy the image of a skater without having to endure the more physical aspects. Buy a board from these shops and you'll have to wade past row upon row of t-shirts and shoes to find the boards at the back where they give the shop its 'edgy' feel without actually scaring away the fickle, fashion conscious consumer.

Most skaters only know skating as corporate as they've only been skating a few years. We may dislike Nike entering the 'scene' - but that's only because we remember some sort of 'golden age' in which all companies were 'owned' by skaters. Skateboarding is corporate, Nike is corporate, why shouldn't the two meet?
drakkars
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
steve-g wrote:
Good article.

Two points. I agree with retarded monkee. Whatever money Nike pay their Asian workforce is dictated by the market, not some evil corporate conspiracy. The worker and capitalist meet on equal terms in the market. The worker can withold his labour-power just as easily as the capitalist can refuse to buy it. This is the essence free labour.

Yeah right !!!!
And starve to death .....

steve-g wrote:
Secondly, I agree with SimonPiss in that I'm disapointed that Nike has broken into 'our' scene, but not surprised. However much we might resist, skateboarding is corporate. Most towns have skate-fashion shops in which consumers can buy the image of a skater without having to endure the more physical aspects. Buy a board from these shops and you'll have to wade past row upon row of t-shirts and shoes to find the boards at the back where they give the shop its 'edgy' feel without actually scaring away the fickle, fashion conscious consumer.

Most skaters only know skating as corporate as they've only been skating a few years. We may dislike Nike entering the 'scene' - but that's only because we remember some sort of 'golden age' in which all companies were 'owned' by skaters. Skateboarding is corporate, Nike is corporate, why shouldn't the two meet?

I'm not disapointed that Nike entered "our market" (certainly not mine ...).
After all,all the old skaters like me (skating since '75) did use some of their products (i remember being the owner of a pair of Nike white leather hitop which were great to skate with) ...

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
drakkars wrote:
steve-g wrote:
Good article.

Yeah right !!!!
And starve to death .....

Well, I never said the free market was fair! The central contradiction of the market is that the worker must sell his labour power to survive. Capitalism is still governed by the general rules first laid down by Marx and still subject to the same contradictions as in 1850.
Cappy
Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
In germany, some people did take out the drinks and food from store trash containers.
Its not real trash, or the food is bad, it just dont look good to sell it for the market prize.
The stores dont sell it cheaper, they throw it away to keep the value alive.
The dumb mistake of capitalism!
The people who "steal" that food, give it to the poor, from a human look, you say this is just right!
But the stores are now "protecting" their trash, LOL.
So people still die in this rich world, because some only look for the money.

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Mar 2005 Posts: 840 Location: Incredibly distant star
CWM has a web article with Nike & Consolidated.

http://www.concretewavemagazine.com/a..._V05N02_do_it.pdf
Slim
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
P-Rod for the kids, Shogo for old timers... the game's over.
old_timer
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
I'll NEVER put a pair of Nike shoes on my feet again. Fuck them and their over priced bullshit sweatshop shoes. I quit wearing them in late 80's maybe early 90's .

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
Area 51 wrote:
CWM has a web article with Nike & Consolidated.

Take a look at that article and ask yourself, "Why are the Nike slogan, Nike spokesman's name and the CW stamp all the same color?"
DILLINGERxCAPE
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
I really like the sneakerhead part, and their grails.
the guy who says he'd rather not obsess on material objects.
the people who seek these things out.
the freud theory etc.
just diggin into the mental, apply it wherever you may.

interesting chit mang
shred717
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote
Skateboarding is so above ground now, ofcourse Nike wants some the action.

As I remember back in the day I was skating in Converse All-Stars with shoe goo ollie pads then it was Converse Cons and then finally the best skate shoe to ever came out Vans Caballeros Hi-Tops.

I will never understand how kids are ripping wearing fat laced lo-top shoes, as if they have ankles of steel. I remember Natas duck tape his ankles around his hi-top cons so he could do work.

Page 2 of 5    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next