SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED:  »  just how big is big...
Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

just how big is big...

Cappy
Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Sep 2005 Posts: 11580 Location: Cloud cuckoo land
skinny wrote:

Hopefully I will be too old to give a shit anymore.

For myself, i think that day will never come.
I do not say names, but i have tested a few boards since back into skating.
Boards from old companies and new companies. Dont have to tell some call them the true punk/old/skateshit.
None of them was quality made!

Thats the point of buying a skateboard! When i tell kids what i spend for buying and shipping they look
But since i have changed to certain boards, they ask " do you still ride that board?"
In fact, what i spend on money for 1-2 boards in a year that i need now, is less as 7-10 boards the kids get in the shop.

Five Points Skateboards wrote:
That day is already here.

True.

As many decks that are available with an "original" shape, it's still only a tiny little niche. 99% of skaters skate popsickles, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, just saying it's a fact. They are quite functional, and that's what is forcefed down the kids' throats so that's what they buy.

Wrong.
Skaters that have the gift for it, rip on everything. They first bail and have to move different
on another board, but still nail the tricks.
Small boards just makes flips easier. its just a lazy thing.

Just not really for me, and I could care less. I just do my little thing and have fun with it. I don't pay too much attention to the whole industry BS.

I hope so, your stuff looks good! Think your the next one i have to check out

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I agree that those who have it can rip on anything, but the mass majority of kids ride popsickle decks, and again, I'm not saying that's bad, but it's true. That's what I meant by my statement, that the bigger, different shapes are definitely a minority in the whole big picture of skateboarding.

Cappy
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
This one popcicle shape is just bad for skateboarding. Same goes for the tiny wheels.
There are a little movement people skate more miniramps and other transitions.

But whats good on the street (small board/wheels), doesnt go for the tranny stuff.
I really think some kids would get more skills/style if they had more options on skatestuff.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
why complain about shapes. it's a constant evolution that changed over the years. the popsicle is completely functional for todays skating. look at when it started. do you really think it was just big companies saying we need to get rid of all this originality in skateboards and make everything the same. the way I first remember it was seeing the double vision and thinking "wow you can skate either way" it was an evolution of street skating. skaters now can roll up to a ledge or curb or whatever obstacle and at the last minute decide to use the board with variety, fakie, switch, nollie, regular.
look at vert riders, same thing. the popsicle opened up all new tricks and more spins on a balanced shape. only in pool carving do I notice that it is not as good. for surfing the bowl you need a wider tail for leverage, and a wider mid section helps since you front foot doesn't move much. you don't need much of a nose at all and it's awesome for speed. but as soon as you want to do some tricks the old school shape is limited.
is this all the result of big business trying to force feed us and control us. or is it the result of functionality adapting to the growth of skateboarding.

or maybe the freestylers were the smart ones since they had it from the start and now they own most of skateboarding.
Cappy
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the popsicle shape is very functional. But it takes time you can use it or some never get the skills for it.
I mean, when i step on a board, i feel if that board is good for me or not.
Most popsicle boards have the same low concave, low tail, high nose - when i step on them, i feel nothing.
I rather can do kick/heel flips with the deep concave on my 9" tank.

Nobody can tell me, that todays skater not have that feeling and maybe would get better doing
tricks if they had more choices of skateboards.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Sep 2003 Posts: 2954 Location: pedro point, nor cal
Cappy wrote:
Nobody can tell me, that todays skater not have that feeling and maybe would get better doing
tricks if they had more choices of skateboards.

I have a little bit different view since I have a 10 year old and observe him and his friends' skating and purchasing habits up close. I also live in a beach town in California so there is a lot of surf and skate crossover and we also have a great skatepark and we have hills.

My son and his friends all have standard popsiscles, but they also all have other shapes/sizes of boards as well. They have longboards with soft wheels for crusing around. They have "mini" boards, also with softwheels but more of a slalom shaped thing or a retro shaped thing.
A lot of the older teenage kids have total downhill skating set ups too.

There have never beem more choice in skateboard design than there is today!
Cappy
Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you have a good skateshop. If i walk in most shops here, the only setup i
can buy is a popsicle/small trucks/small and hard wheels.

If you want something different you have to order it (good luck) or get it on the internet.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Slim
There have never beem more choice in skateboard design than there is today![/quote]

Absolutely true. It's a great time ot be a skater because we can get every component we want for our setups just the way we want it. It's awesome.

To think that some grassroots marketer for Nike or is lurking on the skate web boards and is possibly reacting to what skinny and 5 pts Tim are doing is just amazing.

Did you guys ever think you'd register on a goliath's richter scale???
MileHighSkates
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
"I am the smallest giant, ever..."
gamby
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
MileHighSkates wrote:
"I am the smallest giant, ever..."

Verbal Assault quote "We're all tiny giants"

Page 2 of 4    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next