SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  older= longer?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

older= longer?

gogomouse1
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
why is it that as a lot of us get older (30's & 40's) , our boards get longer??? Although I've always had one longboard or another in my quiver since 78', as I've gotten older, I (and others, I noticed) ride longer boards more and more. Why? obviously, we can't get down like we used to....we're fatter, slower, and eventually our knee joints go... for me, I guess I'd rather skate slow and mellow rather than not skate at all.Anybody else have an opinion? Remeber..." You don't stop skating because you get old, You get old because you stop skating" True Dat.
cerdo
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
gogomouse1 wrote:
why is it that as a lot of us get older (30's & 40's) , our boards get longer??? ... for me, I guess I'd rather skate slow and mellow rather than not skate at all.

My sentiments exactly. Broken bones heal much slower as you age.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
Over the last few years, my boards have become progressively longer. Most of my skating nowadays is on a longboard of one form or another, but I'm not skating slower per-se.
cerdo
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
true true... I like fast, I'm just not trying to hop, grind, flip and all that jazz anymore... haven't for a while...
msk
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Aug 2004 Posts: 606 Location: 1/2 way between Dogtown and the Badlands
Its not that my boards got longer, its that everyone else's got shorter. When I was in my late teens ('70s), my 30"-32" boards had 16"-18" wheelbases, and I also rode a longboard about 50% of the time. To get that same 18" wheelbase I rode as a kid, I'd have to buy a 36"-38" deck now. I only needed 2"-4" of nose back then, not 7"...
Homer80
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of things to take into consideration. Todays "Standard" skateboard is designed for kick flips and ollies, tearing up the stairs at the library and then picking up your board and running away. Groms only see what the "grom" magazines cover so to many of them a longboard is merely an urban legend. The Older folks tend to see outside the box when it comes to what to do on a skateboard. That doesn't mean that a 40+ year old that wants to session a handrail wont do it because he is old, he will, but how many older guys want to do that as opposed to hitting the bowl at the park or carving that big hill? Look at it this way, do you think that grom skating on 54mm wheels has a clue as to why you would want a 70mm wheel instead? Most don't even know wheels that big exist!

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
theshralpster
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
how can you make sweeping generalizations like that? Popsicle decks only made for skating street. Pick up a poolskating magazine and what will you see? Popsicle stick decks and sub 60mm wheels. dont bag on it cuz you dont skate it.
Homer80
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
theshralpster wrote:
how can you make sweeping generalizations like that? Popsicle decks only made for skating street. Pick up a poolskating magazine and what will you see? Popsicle stick decks and sub 60mm wheels. dont bag on it cuz you dont skate it.

Wait, read the title of the tread, I'm the one making generalizations? I'm sorry if my observation of the stereotypical skateboarder upsets you but buy a Thrasher magazine and count the amount of photos of skaters boardsliding hand rails vs. the amount of skaters in pools. If the shoe fits.
And just to keep the record straight just about everyone I know that skates pools and bowls rides a Popsicle deck and they are all a lot better than I am. I have been told time and time again how functional a popsicle deck is esp. on vert. But I'm not just going to kiss everyones ass that rides a popsicle thats their problem not mine. I dont bag on it. I sack on it!

In a country full of Neanderthals? I wear it as a fucking badge of honor!"

Rainbow Randolph Death to Smoochie
Kehraus
Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought you were talking about scrotums.

Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Kehraus wrote:
I thought you were talking about scrotums.

I was wondering where all the scrotum talk took place around here.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next