SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Is your shop in debt?
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Is your shop in debt?

How were sales in 2005?

Incredible - I can't believe how well we did.  
20%
  [ 3 ]  20%

Good - Not incredible, but still worth talking about.  
40%
  [ 6 ]  40%

Ok - We're making it - barely.  
33%
  [ 5 ]  33%

Bad - Sales have been poor.  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Terrible - We've hit rock bottom.  
6%
  [ 1 ]  6%

Total Votes : 15
saladgrind
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
I've been running my shop for 3 years now. I'm wondering: what is normal debt for a 1,200 sq ft shop? We've got about $40,000 on lines of credit right now (in addition to the $15,000 in cash we put in at the beginning).

Our first year we started out really slow, and purchased inventory slowly. In the last couple of years we've perhaps purchased too much inventory? (I'd estimate that we have between $35,000 - $40,000 inventory at cost on hand)

The last year and a half has been tough, with sales being especially slow in the past 6 months.
auragreg
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
I think I'm in the same boat as you.... been open for a little over a year. Much credit out there. Most credit cards are used. X-mas was really good for us tho. Double last year.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
DomitianX
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
We have lost 2 big MN shops in the last year or so. Both of these shops were very good to the local scene and had been in business for a long time.

Neither really catered to the old guy though which is why I didnt frequent them, but they seem to do alot for the average kid skater, at least up until the end.

When I talk to guys I know that run shops, most of them are in the same boat as you. In debt and trying to stay alive.

MileHighSkates
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
For 2005 we ran anywhere from 130-275% compared to the previous year. 2006 is looking like 230% for January. We spend a small fortune importing decks and trucks from Canada, and decks, trucks, and gloves from the UK, etc. Thankfully some US-based manu's build in healthy margins to their products.
stillboardin
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This business has taught me an important lesson. Don't play if you can afford to suffer for a long while. the online shops are a dime a dozen now and if you can't afford to advertise then you can't drive people to your site. If you have a brick and mortar then you better have a high traffic location and stock alot of flipper decks and soft goods to keep the mommies and daddies coming in to buy Jr. new shit every week. And that high traffic location has a price.

I say you have to sell your soul to make money in this business.

And another thing, don't finance a business on credit cards you end up a slave to them.

I'm slowly shutting down operations cause the time needed to run and the time available just doesn't make sense for me anymore.
yoyo
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I am not a real shop, but I sell special Freestyle equipment over here in Germany. Although Freestyle is non existant (for the mainstream) sales increase a little every year. It's too small to invest big money, but I keep stock to a minimum and can order trucks and accessories locally.
Wheels and decks come from the US, so I stock a little more of them.

yoyo
www.yoyoskates.com
DomitianX
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
MileHighSkates wrote:
For 2005 we ran anywhere from 130-275% compared to the previous year. 2006 is looking like 230% for January. We spend a small fortune importing decks and trucks from Canada, and decks, trucks, and gloves from the UK, etc. Thankfully some US-based manu's build in healthy margins to their products.

stillboardin wrote:
This business has taught me an important lesson. Don't play if you can afford to suffer for a long while. the online shops are a dime a dozen now and if you can't afford to advertise then you can't drive people to your site. If you have a brick and mortar then you better have a high traffic location and stock alot of flipper decks and soft goods to keep the mommies and daddies coming in to buy Jr. new shit every week. And that high traffic location has a price.

I say you have to sell your soul to make money in this business.

And another thing, don't finance a business on credit cards you end up a slave to them.

I'm slowly shutting down operations cause the time needed to run and the time available just doesn't make sense for me anymore.

My comment was directed to brick and mortar shops. Online shops are a different breed in that you dont have much overhead except for inventory so they need to be managed differently from a marketing perspective.

I've been doing web development/marketing for almost 10 years and when I talk to brick and mortar guys about advertising and marketing, they almost always come back with "Yeah, but that doesnt work with a physical store front."

With a "real shop" you need to be concerned with the scene within about an hour or so of your shop. With online you need to be worried about the entire planet. Completely different from a marketing point of view. Customer service and inventory is the same for the most part, but your ROI on advertising in mags & websites is a lot different for a online shop than it is for a brick and mortar. Especially when you dont live in a major metro or in the middle of SoCal.

If I had a physical store front, which I hope to this summer at least part-time, I would need to focus on the local scene, a team, videos, photos, etc. Taking care of the core customer that can get to my physical location. Being online I dont have to worry about that.

So to compare the two is kind of pointless. Comparing my shop or MileHigh's to a physical store front like SavSk8's in TN wont work because we have different concerns and immediate needs. Then throw in the eGay'ers and drop ship kook's and it gets even more different.

curbdog
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
MileHighSkates wrote:
For 2005 we ran anywhere from 130-275% compared to the previous year. 2006 is looking like 230% for January.

This is good news in light of your recent employment troubles. Nice momentum to start the year!

DAWG

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
If you want to make $$.
Carry my stuff.
Simple economics.
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
skinny wrote:
If you want to make $$.
Carry my stuff.
Simple economics.

Don't they make athletic supporters for that?

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next