SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Opinions on G&S Boards...not Fibreflex
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Opinions on G&S Boards...not Fibreflex

popemarcus101
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Ijust put some randalls on a z cult coffin longboard and they turn like crazy
id definitely go for a set of them or something similar if youre into carving, apparently the quality control on the randalls can be kinda iffy but mine have been fine so far

the only thing that i have that compares is a set of tracker rtx on a popsicle i flipped over, redrilled and cut up a bit, but even they dont turn as sharply as the randalls
zamdrang
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah ive read that about the randals. That they turn well and the quality can be iffy.

I picked up some super soft bushings today....do dohs or something like that. Im going to run them tonight and see if theres much difference.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
If you run Randals, do two things:

1. Replace the stock kingpins with grade-8 bolts (safer/stronger).
2. Replace the stock cup washers with flat washers (no sharp edges, better performance).

These are the two most important mod's you can make to Randal's. If you want to experiment with bushings, make sure you match the (stock) bottom bushing's height.
MMS
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 03 Jul 2003 Posts: 15098 Location: Heaven or Hell...kinda hard to tell.
I think those wood G&S boards were made by Select/Vision/Lumberyard. I had a similar shaped Vision board. It was ok. Nothing spectacular.

I liken this to the old stories of someone getting an S9 (Sector Nine...the big dog in the longboard market) complete (in the past...I'm hearing better things now) and deciding longboards suck. Just like any other ride...it needs to be tuned to the rider and it's intended use. Knowing what I know now...if I were to buy a complete from any big Longboard company, it would be Gravity. Better, IMHO, out of the box product for the money.

Bottom line...

If YOU dig it...it's good. If YOU don't...it's not.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I tried out the new bushings last night......much more responsive and fun.

With the stock bushings I had the nut backed off so far the truck was right on the verge of loose....and it still didnt turn that well. With my son on it was even worse. With these bushings..... doh doh soft(blue).....this thing is a different animal. And yes ..the bottom bushing is the same height....thanks for mentioning it.

Now its quickly tuneable for either my son or I to get it to carve.

You guys probably already know this...but I realized its not just that the bushings are softer that improves it. Since you can crank the nut down more....theres more tension and the entire hangar is settled into the baseplate deeper...which im sure makes it more precise.

Its a good lesson for me on bushing durometer and kingpin nut tension and how it works together.

Im sure theres still improvement that can be made...but wow...for just a few bucks it made a huge difference.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3