SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  BUSINESS, SHOPS & RETAILERS  »  Retail Shop - couch, tv - a hangout spot
Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Retail Shop - couch, tv - a hangout spot

auragreg
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Posts: 2382 Location: Highland, Michigan, USA, Earth
skateindex.com wrote:
inkycaps wrote:
....then they come in 3 days later with your competitors board/shoes/shirt/hat/whatver.

Yep...same shit.

We try not to front on the kids that pull this, but it gets harder all the time. The only thing I can do is hope that they keep skating and figure it out for themselves.

I TRYnot to give kids crap for that either ... unless they are a kid that I know well and hangs here. I got all over a kid a month ago ... He actually left my shop to drive 20 miles to save 20% on wheels. Then came back to my shop to use my tools to put them on .... idiot. Believe me, he felt about 3 inches tall when I was done.

And if he would have thought about it, he actually lost money by driving so far to save 20% (that I probably would have given him off anyway).

I just treat my regulars really good. They get deals and I go out of my way to help them. Plus they get freebies and stuff when I have anything to give out.

But if the kid walks in with a Bam deck and Adio's I get em what they want, order it if I need to. And give em normal customer service. But no freebies. These are the kids that will give you no loyalty. And I really don't expect it.

Support skateboard art/artists: http://www.etsy.com/shop/BurbSkateboards
lsu
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
a hangout spot means a babysitting sevice which gets old really fast. Kids hanging out all day means product walking out the door and your nerves shot. To make your shop legit, go skate. Let your customers know you are one of them. We put a mini in my bro's shop and it is a freaking nightmare. Kids get dropped off at noon and are there till 5. Sometimes, mom comes back to pick them up and they are not there and she gets mad at you. Then little Johnny's mom says he can never come back and you lose a customer/ Can't win in this situation. Play videos but don't let em get too comfortable. Maybe some folding chairs
sk8artz
Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like this is a golden opportunity to try to build a public skatepark for these kids. There sounds like there are enough local skaters to make good use of it. They need it bad, and if you take the reigns and put these kids to work it will happen. The kids will go crazy shredding the park and come back to you to purchase more gear. I wouldn't want all these kids "dropped off" at the shop either. Try getting the local news involved- pack the shop with skaters with no where to go- and invite the camera crew down. See what happens.

Page 3 of 3    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3