SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  CANADIAN FULLPIPES (history wanted)
Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

CANADIAN FULLPIPES (history wanted)

S.Milo
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Anyone got any pics / stories of anything significant?

We may not have drought but we've definitely got the hydro power (in more ways than one) yet I've seen/heard very little over the years about

I saw what muat have been 20'er leftovers on way to Manic 5, this massive hydro dam north of Baie Comeau QC in 70's. I didn't have my boad with me then and wouldn't have known what to do with it if I did....but have though of that many times since.

Last year I found a paper online about the rehabilitation of the Kakabeca (sp?) Falls aquaduct north of Thunder Bay which involved a moving form that poured what I think was something like 300yards of 16'-18' concrete pipe on an incline back in 1997. Don't believe that's a runoff but rather a fulltime full'o'water deal now but I will be up that next summer for inlaws family revellion and will definitely be heading up for a look.

Anybody got any good ones?
slob-air
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 27 Oct 2001 Posts: 63453 Location: S&B HQ
There's a bunch in Alberta: 33ft in Calgary. 18 ft at Dixon damn. 16 ft in Edmonton and 24 ft near Rocky.

There's also two pipe manufacturers in Edmonton that build for the Syncrude project. Some of the Edmonton cats were hitting those recently.

There was also some 18ft pipes in Calgary last week--not sure where they went, yet.

I have pics somewhere... if I come across them I'll post up.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
That's so rad...I'm getting weightless just thinking about those things...sending thanks in advance BIGTIME for whatever you can post up with...I wanna call you taxless hounds out there lucky bastards but we did have a 3/4 for a couple years way back at the Newmarket park so got a bit in...other than that just holding tanks (small/busted), the odd steel thing and the obligatory 8' sessions
S.Milo
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Wait a sec...are you aying Calgary is actually 33'??? I thought 30 and thatwas big enough ... cheezus
slob-air
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Yah, some dude measured it a while back. 33ft he said. Explains a lot. That is one f**king big hole.

Be a week or so before I can access the pics. I have a server to rebuild and several drives to transfer data from.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Newmarket Ontario - Orange Bowl Skateboard Park:
http://www.streamload.com/prideart/Orange_Bowl_03.jpg

Built '78 opening delayed till Jan 79. Bowled 3/4 pipe with 8' 1/2 section to flat end wall with roll in. Was said to be 18' diameter and by those who rode both, much gnarlier than Cherry Hill. Campbell (pictured) Toronto local not from Newmarket. Newmarket with 20K or so people back then should never have had a skatepark. For this we had local entrepreneur/shyster Art Beamish to thank. Joe Quinn ex-FLA did the build and ended up sleeping there trying to get paid when original owner went broke in no time flat. Saw only 3 dudes one wheel the thing. One lapover. No rock and rolls. Broke my wrist in it opening day. Only pic I have is me riding an 8 wheeler with cast on afterwards. Also had a 30' keyhole with coping so fat you could barely grind it with midtracks. We were too stupid to appreciate the park then. When it finally dies they knocked the walls into the bottom laid steel beams and build low rent townhouses in existing structure. Good chance skate crazed rodents living directly overhead right now with no idea what lies beneath them.

Still ain't a fullpipe tho'...
slob-air
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
My bro skated Newmarket. Showed me pics... the only thing deeper was that insane bowl at Lakewood in Cali. Insane!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Here's those pics...

Calgary's Millennium fullpipe (larger than Bombora)

Edmonton fullpipe

The following are images of finished products produced at one of three manufacturing facilities in Edmonton. The various metal and cement pipes lay in the assembly yard and are just a hop over the fence away. I'm told the pipe caps are real rad... they call them cereal bowls and they have sharp cement edges to grind.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Unbelievable!! Holy FN fullness...thanx a million for digging these out Slob...I'm blown away...that steel looks like a blast and the industro tempting enough to risk a bust for a quick one...got nabbed in grade 8 skating mini-version, fibreglass holding tank they said they'd have to xray cause we might have compromised inner surface...but with Calgary no need to repeat, just need to get west! And will do.

(Belated) Thanx again. Been covering other location for last month and just back to regular gig now.

Just transferred to DVD some Super 8 of Brent Jordan grinding that Newmarket 3/4 pipe. Clips to follow sooner or later.

SM
slob-air
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Cool!

Here's some more Calgary pipes from a couple months ago:

Page 1 of 3    Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next