SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  MANUFACTURERS FORUM  »  Help this company!
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Help this company!

Urbannewyork
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I want to start a skate company, i need to know what i need to get started
ThrashCan
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
you need to be able to do things without the help of others.
oasis
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
snoop through this forum and read every post you see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skinny
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
http://www.skullandbonesskateboards.c...topic.php?t=45954
SkaterBonds
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:08 am Reply with quote
ThrashCan wrote:
you need to be able to do things without the help of others.

Dude, it sounds harsh, but it's the best advice I've heared so far. There are people here (myself included) that can offer a great deal of knowledge, but for the most part, if you can't do the work yourself, why start a company?

The best thing I think you can do if you are serious about it is apprentice at a well known shop. If you don't have any experience in the industrial arts that skateboard manufacturing requires, it's going to be something similar to learning how to speak a different language or learning how to walk.

Take some basic art classes, screen printing and graphic arts classes, buy some uncut blanks, practice shaping and if you get good, get a job under someone who does it every day. Test the water before you try to hit the high dive with no experience.

Don't expect to make a bundle off of it. It's just a toy. Do it for the love of skateboarding. If you know that you want a skateboard company, you need to ask yourself what you like about skateboarding and have those things reflect on your company. I'm not talking about a theme or a catchy name for a label, but rather something besides a graphic and a name plastered on a deck to offer.

I say go for it. Just know that you won't be starting with your own company without establishing some basics and some not-so basics.
txrocker13
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
You could probably make enough off a small company to make it by if you did everything right, but if you look around the net you'll find out that small independant skateboard companies are a dime a dozen and probably need a pro skaters name and input to stand above the rest. A skateshop is a little more probable depending on the need for shops in your area.
Fedupskateboards
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Thrashcan is right ...it is much like speaking a new language. When I first started I knew nothing. Now, it's hard to see some of the things I didn't know about before as more than mere common-sense. My advice is just to read read read ...and there is no better place than S&B.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
yeah, you need a good team member that gets your product out there and is always getting coverage to get your name out there or else there is a slim chance you is going to make it. Unless you make the right and good choices on everything. Just do as everyone else says, read on, on S&B.
-kody
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lincolnz
Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Hard work, dedication, blood, sweat and beers. But the biggest thing is the love for skating. With the love of skating every step forward is a rush. Don't let the road blocks get you down.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Who are you talking to? This guy hasn't been back since his first posts....

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next