SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  DOWNHILL / SPEEDBOARDING / LONGBOARDS  »  Any feedback on the Fibreflex Fun Shape...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Any feedback on the Fibreflex Fun Shape...

simshardcore
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Oct 2005 Posts: 6816 Location: Virginia Beach still has no waves!
Hello all...my son is getting into skateboarding, so being the "big kid" Dad that I am...I've decided to get back in myself. I'm very old school so I'd like to get a nice cruiser...something with a vintage look but a great ride. I've been looking at the G&S Fibreflex Fun Shape but not to sure what hardware to put on it...? Would 97a Yo Yo wheels work? Or maybe some Powell 95a Mini Cubics? Tracker or Gull Wing Trucks??? Like I said, I'm old school so that's the stuff that appeals to me...any advise would be well taken...
atxJIMatx
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
The Funshape is a cool deck! you know that it has no kicktail, right????

Either of those wheels are gonna be mighty hard for a cruiser.. unless your streets are butter smooth, they are gonna ride like crap on that board.....a setup that I know works great on that deck is running 1/8 inch riser pad with Randall II trucks in 180mm width and 66m Abec11 Strikers (I would say go with the 81a or 84a hardness) ... Throw some Rockets bearings into the mix and that will be a fast,smooth rolling, smooth turning setup.
and if ya wanna know where to find great deals on that stuff-- forum member Mile High Mark can hook you up
www.milehighskates.com
simshardcore
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't too sure on the wheels...I was just tryin' to stick with the old stuff that I know...probebly a hard mix! I've heard good stuff on the Randells. As far as the Funshape goes...no kicktail does have me if'n a little but I've seen the Kick model in a shop and wasn't too impressed, but a kick would be nice. I've looked on Milehigh's site and they do have a good selection...it's just hard to decide when the product is not in my hands.
simshardcore
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:01 am Reply with quote
...what about a Barfoot? Those Revenge trucks look interesting...anyone been using those?
PlayGod
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I'd highly suggest a board with a kicktail, so you'll be able to get your kickturns back.

Here's what I re-started skating on, still a favorite:

Surf One Classic

It's got that retro look, and it works. Might be a little flexy if you are over 185 lbs.

I passed mine along to a buddy to get him back into the game.
MileHighSkates
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Apr 2004 Posts: 2708 Location: Boulder County, CO
Those Surf One's are flexy. Also, because of the deck's shape, you end up using a bit more risers than if it had cut-outs.

Check out the Gravity Mini-Carve.
PlayGod
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
If you're over 185, you might try the Landyachtz Conthug:

simshardcore
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
That Surf One looks real nice... I like the kick...how much turn will I get with those Independent Trucks? I've used Indies back in the day, but this Longboard'n thing is pulling me back in...I'm seeing too many truck choices! I've been dick'n around on a friends Lightning Bolt beater just to get some flow but the trucks are BOBO as shit...takes me about a 1/4 mile just to make a smooth 180 turn...seems like it anyway! Noone is using those Revenge trucks Barfoot is sporting?

TonyB
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the first decks I got when I got back into skating.

The now un-available 38" Kicktail, with Randal 180's and 70 mm Kryptonics. I had a wheel bite problem at the front so have the front truck wedged and a 1/2" riser at the back. Makes it all a little high for pushing but I'm used to it and its my go to the shops deck and used weekly.

Check out http://www.lushlongboards.com/shop/ Although these guys are in the UK I have met them and dealt with them several times and have always been treated well. They make some interesting decks and will give you plenty of help, longboarding is their thing.

Definitely go with some softer wheels if your cruising the streets, and try minimum 70mm diameter that will help you run over and cracks or small stones without getting chucked off the deck should it stall on you.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
simshardcore wrote:
[b]...how much turn will I get with those Independent Trucks? I've used Indies back in the day, but this Longboard'n thing is pulling me back in...I'm seeing too many truck choices! I've been dick'n around on a friends Lightning Bolt beater just to get some flow but the trucks are BOBO as shit...takes me about a 1/4 mile just to make a smooth 180 turn...seems like it anyway! Noone is using those Revenge trucks Barfoot is sporting?

If you get wedged risers, the Indy's will be turny as hell. No comment on the Revenge trucks, I have not tried them. I like traditional trucks better than any of the weird speedboard and carving trucks. I think wedged conventional trucks feel better unless I'm bombing hills at 35 mph +

You might want to check out Gravity longboards as well. They are all setup right with wedged risers, and you get a good choice of their excellent wheels. The Carve 39 and 43 are great boards, and the Brad Edwards 40 is another good one in that size range. It's much stiffer than the Carve series.

http://www.gravityboard.com/pages/gst...oards/boards.html

If you are 160 lbs or less, you might want to switch out the stock bushings for some softer Khiros or Bones.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next