SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  B.O.N.O.S.A.  »  Pushing the limits...
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Pushing the limits...

SkaterBonds
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I feel kind of sick. I went skateboard crazy... flat out crazy.

I just spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 on skateboards this past week.

I don't have a huge problem with it, but It's just out of the ordinary for me to spend my money like that. The most I have ever spent on a skateboard was $340 like 2 years ago on my grail (Jeff Kendall Jagermeister) and I felt bad for doing that (it hangs on the wall and does nothing but look cool, as the rest do).

I guess some spend more than $700 on a single skateboard, but I'd almost feel better about throwing it all at one deck that I was planning on getting.

Here's what I spent my money on-

Barbee reissue, meh... Nothing special, but it was $40 shipped and rode for 5 minutes and I need a new deck to set up and was planning on buying a new reissue. Plus it's already drilled and has rails (the right ones for the deck even) so I'm happy.

The one I bought is the red/black variant.

This is an original, the reissues had the blue colored tail SMA graphic.

Only one I've seen unskated. I got a deal on this one.

Used but not abused original.

This is the one that killed me.

Now don't get me wrong, I love these decks, but the prices of these things are just ground breaking anymore. I feel like I'm 16, trying to save up my minimum wage paycheck for car parts and spending 1/3 of my money on my car, only that there's a 300-500% price increase when collecting skateboards.

I'm no stranger to spending money on toys, I've been a Transformers collector for 8+ years now, so the buyers remorse has long been gone since I first spent $300 on a single toy. I've been kind of desensitized to it, but I think my limits have been reached. At least in semi spontanious purchasing. I'm thinking from now on, I put some money away and only hit the bank when something comes up that was on my long term list.

I thought collecting Transformers was expensive at $120 a pop. Everything I get into seems to get more and more expensive! At this rate, I'll be collecting Rembrandt illustrations and grand pianos by the time I'm 50... This doesn't have to stop, but it does need to slow down.

I feel like an ass!
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:10 am Reply with quote
what's after the rembrandts and pianos?

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, probably antique ivory and then I'll just throw in the towel at 3 karat + Diamonds... but I'll still live in some little house or maybe an apartment.

Actually, the only other bank robber (besides skateboards and Transformers) that I have my peepers set on is a table top Ms.PacMan from '81. I kick ass at that game and it has a soft spot in my inner child.

My mom waited tables and after school when I was 3-4 years old (when I was old enough to reach the joystick) she would set me down at her work at the tabletop Ms.Pacman that they had with a cup of quarters and I would play until she was punched out. Plus, it makes a wicked piece of furnature (don't need a coffee table). I dunno, there's just something about the table top version that draws me (maybe how it lights the room, the sound of the bass when you drop the quarter in... ???) I just have to get one.

The sad thing, is that I have like 250 Transformers (most out of the box, but all are complete and in great shape) and I'm still after the other 130.

There's also about 8-9 more decks that I want (maybe more)...

I guess time will tell if I have really reached my limits.
charley
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
I know how you feel. I did the exact same thing. The biggest purchase I have bought was the Ray Barbee @ $370

As for toys I also spent a crap load on damn Spawn toys or other McFarlane toys. Of those I have about 50 just displayed others in storage. While they may not be cheap they add up. A few were were more than others like the variant Dorothy from Twisted land of Oz.

Also one more case not shown. Good thing about decks though is it's almost like a savings account on your wall. Not like the boards will really go down only thing is stay the same or raise up.
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
http://photobucket.com/albums/a398/Shackle_Me_Not/

There's My current Spawn collection, I still need to get a few more.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Might have a few if looking. Only one older Spawn which is part of series 7. Spawn 3 special edition. Still in box never opened. Also some newer ones that are in the case just time to make room for the series 28. Others in a box in the closet.
ShackleMeNot
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm only interested in series 1-3 and a few from 4 (i can't remember which are from what series off the top of my head). The main one I want is the Maxx with both colored isz's.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
My friend Jon owes me some cashola... he has every single Spawn toy from series 1-2 and 3 that he cares nothing about. All with boxes / cards.

He said I was welcome to them, but I have no room and I'm just not into them. He's got $1000's in them all. I could probably work something out.

Here are my other toys-

I'm also looking for MadBalls...

I'll have to take some more recent pics of my skate collection.
PlayGod
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
http://www.journalism.ryerson.ca/onli...fe/rsimonetta.htm
SkaterBonds
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Interesting.

I think the fine line between a collection becoming a problem and simply having a lot comes down to two factors-

1. Not having enough money for your needs.

2. Not having enough space for your collection.

My theory on collecting is that if I don't actively enjoy and display something I collect, it's out the door. Puting shit in boxes in the closet, under the bed, in the attic or hidden away otherwise just doesn't suit me. At that point, collecting becomes pointless and a lost cause.

Yes, you can lay claim to the things packed away, but what good is it doing you if it's not enjoyed or even seen? Sell everything you don't display or enjoy and go on a vacation!

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next