SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  VALUE OF A SPECIFIC SKATEBOARD  »  Jessee Mermaid
Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jessee Mermaid

bobcat
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote
@ scs, yeah i have 2 stickers.. tattoo artist has the double might be willing to part with it once it's complete. pretty hefty work being done considering I have long ass arms
scs
Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Killer, if you want to part with one look me up, thanks.

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:35 am Reply with quote
I certainly wasn't sure which Neptune came first but this extract from a recent interview with Jessee might clear it up

"GP: Who's sponsored you over the years?

JJ: Well I was on Powell for 2 days and then Uncle Wiggly, and then Gator got me on Vision, and then quit Vision and got my first board from Santa Cruz.

GP: Yeah the Merman logo right?
JJ: Yeah there's one over there up against the wall.

GP: Wow! That thing is so old! It's in killer condition too. So this is like one of the first boards in production with your name on it.
JJ: Well that's actually one of the first boards, and a couple of months later we made the nose about 2-3 inches longer. It was one of the very first ones though. Yeah and that's exactly how I would ride it too with Magnesium trucks and with one Hosoi wheel different color. That's so gay huhn?"

Looking at the pictures earlier in this thread I'd say the shark came first (ie. it has the shorter nose)

Whole interview available here : -

http://www.skateboards.com/scene/interviews/#pic6
oakland
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Aug 2002 Posts: 1747 Location: Boulder, Colorado
Are we sure Mojo did the one with the mermaid? In the ad for the aging mermaid deck by the Unbelievers it says something like "all apoligies to Jim Phillips."
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure.

"Of the Santa Cruz decks on you web site, I did the Jason Jessee Mermaid and Flames decks. The Mermaid was when I was working for Phillips and is based on his original Neptune graphic for Jason. �Jason just wanted a gnarlier version with tattoos and more skulls and stuff. It was my idea to add the mermaid as the tail graphic. �We ended up using it for the T-Shirt and the Sticker for that deck. �After I drew the mermaid, Jason got it tattooed on his leg.The Flames deck I did when I no longer worked for Phillips."

And more info from Johnny...

"Working for Phillips was great. �He was my hero back then. My good friend Kevin Marburg did the Bod Boyle deck with the girl falling.
He also did the Fabian Kravetz deck you have on Circle-A. �Kevin worked for Circle-A before I introduced him to Phillips. �He and I worked together at Santa Cruz for quite a few years. �Kevin later went on to work for Sonic Skateboards. His most recognizable Sonic graphic was for Simon Woodstock. �Kevin did most of Bod's graphics including the "Sick Cat" which was very popular. The "Speed Racer" Bod Boyle graphic was done by Nathan Carrico. �He also worked at Santa Cruz for many years. �He did a lot of art for Santa Cruz Snowboards."

from personal correspondence with John Munnerlyn (Johnny Mojo)

TEAM_PING_AMORONE
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Jan 2002 Posts: 8345 Location: in front of a computer
Johnny sent me a list of his work (as did his brother) and that one wasn't listed. I have all the ones he sent creditted to him if you do a "artist" search on AoS. I will ask him....and Jim as well. Jim has been sending me pics and list of his work as of late. Also, he is going to send a few that Jimbo did (other than the Natas Kitten)....very nice guy.....humble as well. =)

A.

[ This Message was edited by: TEAM_PING_AMORONE on 2003-01-14 16:18 ]
suicidalxmaniac
Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:07 pm Reply with quote
i was psyched to find this stuff out!

fuckin' A!
Skatetilldeath
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:35 am Reply with quote
Guess I�m blind, I can�t see any tattoo on the mermaid-neptune. Can someone press my eyes on neptunes body to find out where the tattoo is???
www.spyhillskates.com
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to see from such a small JPEG, but the purple Neptune has slightly darker purple tattoos all ove his skin. Knowing that it's subtle, you might be able to notice a light pattern all over him. One of the things that I didn't like about thise second version of the neptune graphic was the lack of color/contrast. The original version was mush more colorful and the line detail is better. That being said, I still like Johnny's version.
itsonlymoney!!!
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Oct 2001 Posts: 1730 Location: Alternative Ulster -Belfast N.Ireland
Tim
thanks for the info on the bod graphics

Page 2 of 2    Goto page Previous  1, 2