SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  WANNA' TRADE?  »  Taxation Rant
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Taxation Rant

Jedi_deangelis
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 8:51 pm Reply with quote
DAMN GOVERNMENT!!!

So I ordered a McGill from a guy down in Nevada about 3 weeks ago on Ebay. It finally came to the house today. I was as happy as a pig in shit. Then the delivery guy goes "$50 please". I was shocked and farted in his general direction. There was no way I was dropping an extra $50 on the board.

When I asked why, he said it was for taxes at the border. Once again the Great White North has kicked me in the balls.

I don't know what the seller did to have customs look at it, but he put down a value of $100 US on the item. That's pretty fair, it was probably for insurance purposes. I bought the board for $72 though.

I called UPS and they said I have to get the seller to fax them with the new price and it's going to take days to work it all out. Such a pisser.

Has anybody else ever had this problem? Is there any way to fix this without having to resort to kidnapping the Prime Minister?

Matt
old6
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Every time you get anything sent from the States UPS you are going to have this problem.They charge you shipping from the border,duty,GST,and a brokerage fee. I had bills from them almost the value of the item. Ask the seller if they will ship USPS ,most will. If they mark the customs declaration ''value 25.00" you won't have a problem with extra charges.
bowlrider.com
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:29 am Reply with quote
Yea, I have sent stuff out of the country as well, and usually if I put around a $25.00 value on something (usually by request of the guy Im sending it to),,, then the guy on the other end doesn't get raped....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
suicidalxmaniac
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 5:37 am Reply with quote
i got raped...had to drop $120 for 3 boards that were shipped to me (i live in the netherlands).taxes will kill you.don't ever put "merchandise" on the box, and keep the value as low as possible.

i was lucky enough to work it out with the guy whom i traded with...good kid.

michiel
Skarecrow
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:13 am Reply with quote
Could you list it as a "gift" or something? Surely they won't tax a nice skateboard gift for little Jimmy's birthday, will they?
jibaridge
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:02 am Reply with quote
This doesnt have anything to do with taxes, but I recently ordered a board from henrik, sent the cash via US Registered mail figuring it would probally be the fastest way, I was wrong, week later I went to the post office to have them track it to see if it was there yet, postmaster laughed and said "no way, it'll take at least 45-60 days to get there because everybody that handles it has to sign for it" what a pisser.. Could have told me that a week ago! Anyways, just a heads up, if you send a payment/package make sure to ask how long it'll take, sometimes the best way isnt the fastest.
Jedi_deangelis
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 9:02 am Reply with quote
So what do you guys think I should do? Should I buy a jar of vaseline and let the government treat me like I've dropped the soap in the men's prison shower and just pay the damned taxes?

This sucks so bad! I bought it for $72 but have to pay taxes on the $100 he said it was worth. He still hasn't emailed me back. All he has to do is fax UPS and say he checked the wrong box or wrote down the wrong value. I hope he comes through for me otherwise I'll have to think "happy thoughts" while my ass takes a thrashing.

Matt
suicidalxmaniac
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:04 am Reply with quote
shipping will always be a bitch...if you're in europe like i am chances are you'll be doing most of your trading etc. with dudes in the USA...

-always check GIFT
-always mark a low value
-pay for priority!!!slow may be cheaper but will get you annoyed comments and anxiety...and for good reason.

bowlrider.com
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh Yea.....G I F T.....I always put Gift down as well, when I ship outa the country..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kingpat
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:35 pm Reply with quote
always mark gift and put that the item is used
hey jedi, let me know if you have any problems with the cab and trucks i sent you

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next