SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index
SkullandBonesSkateboards.com Forum Index  »  POOL, PARK, BANKS & PIPES  »  Any 'crete tranny in Miami???
Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next

Any 'crete tranny in Miami???

latterdayskater
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm moving to Miami next month. I've searched for skateparks in the Miami area with real bowls (preferably concrete), but was amazed to find nada. Zip. Zilch. I searched on all the usual skatepark sites (Concrete Disciples, sk8parklist.com, skatespots.com, skateboardparks.com), and was shocked to find ZERO.
Lots of killer parks up near Orlanda & Tampa (4+ hours from Miami), but in Miami itself: nuthin'.

I simply can't believe this is true. Any Miami or Southern Florida skaters out there who can tell me otherwise?
Is Olliewood basically the *only* spot in the entire Miami region with a bowl!??

How can it be that every little village in California is building a new skatepark with real tranny on a monthly basis, but a city of 2.5 million people in sunny FL doesn't have a single park with concrete bowls??

PLEASE tell me this is wrong and all the skatepark sites are just omitting some killer (or at least *decent*) park in Miami...

Thanks,
Lansing
The Green Monkey
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ORDER OF THE SKULL ORDER OF THE SKULL
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
I'm in the same boat. We're moving down in mid-August. I don't think there's much as far as concrete goes--I've also struck out looking online, and I think that fourandahalf said that there really aren't any concrete parks around that he's aware of.

We'll be down there for at least four years, so I think I might try my hand at the whole public park advocacy thing...

A little input from current Miamians would be nice, but I don't know how many views this folder gets.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Dec 2001 Posts: 180 Location: Fort Lauderdale FL
That�s correct Miami is void of any skate parks with concrete transition. Like you said Nada. The closest bowl to Miami is Olliewood, which is not concrete, just PERFECT WOOD. Florida has a great skate scene; you just have to travel to other parts of the state for epic sessions. If you have Questions, PM �Adultswim.� Bill has been to ALL of Florida parks and is a key master at Olliewood. Check out http://www.mapsflorida.com/skate/ for a list of Florida parks.

Serge
The Green Monkey
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Jun 2002 Posts: 14107 Location: Fucking a giant scorpion, duh.
Cool. Thanks.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
GM -- South Florida is a long ass way from Denver! You still set on moving there?

Sounds like you guys are going into exile or something!
ROTW
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
Nothing in Miami,but there is in West palm Beach and Jupiter Beach. The YMCA and Palm Beach Gardens in West Palm Beach, and a good park with a killer pool in Jupiter.

DELserone
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
I was born and raised in Miami and as young skater back in the day, this was a big problem. We worked around the fact that there were no parks and instead ended up building half pipes and launch ramps to fill the void. Also, skating down town was fun too. Now, there are a couple of skateparks, but no, none of them are cement. There's a fairly new one that's pretty fun to skate in Coconut Grove's Peacock Park. There, you'll find a bunch of launch ramps and a nice mid size half pipe. Coconut Grove itself is a pretty dope scene, and popular hang out that you should check out anyway (if you haven't already?) Anyway, the best park I can recommend would be about an hour away in Hollywood FL (same town as Olliewood but this ones an outside park), called Brian Piccolo Skatepark
9501 Sheridan Street Cooper City, FL33024 phone number: (954) 437-2600.

There you'll find a HUGE ass vert ramp, tons of launch ramps, a 7ft halfpipe, a 4ft mini ect..... It's an all around good quality fun park and pretty cheap as-well.

I currnetly don't live I'm Miami now, (Thank GOD) and really don't miss the place either. My two cents on it is that it's a great place to visit but living there I can deal w/ out. Also, I hope you can speak spanish becuase it'll help you out BIG time? Oh yeah, be real careful when your driving around town, bc you will encounter the WORST drivers in the nation (watch how much your car insurance will increase just from moving there). Speaking of driving, if you like cars you'll see tons of super dope rides all around you all the time. The women are off the chain exotic latina's, which I highly reccomend going out to South Beach to see them all topless (doesn't matter the time of the year, or what day it is either). When you're out on South Beach, be sure to go to Wet Willies

http://www.wetwillies.com/happen_view.cfm?id=5

and grab yourself one of their fucking awesome slurpy alcohol drinks, and a grouper sandwitch. All in all, there's a lot of shit to do there, and I hope all this info can help you. If you want to know anything else please let me know and hopefully I can help you out.

Late
fourandahalf
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
i'm way late on this one, but yeah, what he said!!!

concrete? well there is a nice backyard pool five blocks from my house, but i'm keeping my mouth shut on this one!!!!!

yes, the spanish does help, but if you can't deal with it, then feel free to move back to the USA......miami is it's own country!!!!!
AdultSwim
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Hi- Late to the party, but here I am...

Olliewood will make you forget how far you drove and that it's not concrete. It's that good. It's also the scene that's just so chill - everyone from Andy Mac and Benji Galloway types to guys who slide in on their butt to roll around.
If the session is dead, you skate around looking as bad as you want. If the session gets big and gets crazy, you sit back and watch amazing skating with a beer in your hand.
When I first went there, I could barely drop in the shallow end, and could not reach the coping. Now, umm... I still suck. Oh well.
No, I can drop the deep end, and grind anywhere on it after two years of the perfect ramp and support group.

Tomorrow is our final Grind For Life event, which is scheduled for the kidney at the YMCA in West Palm Beach, but the back-up plan for rain is Olliewood at 4pm. see floridaskater.com

PM me if you want a barney tour-guide.
intoanother
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 104 Location: Currently NY spawned in Broward County
There used to be 2 empty pools down in south beach behind the old cameo theater in the 80s, I remember taking 2 runs on a friends board. Wet Willies is pretty cool, I worked there for 5 years.

Page 1 of 2    Goto page 1, 2  Next